Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > White Screen on iMac 400

White Screen on iMac 400
ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Mar 7, 2004, 01:28 AM

It has been happening a lot where my iMac's video screen will turn completely white.
I can still make out what is on the screen but it doesn't help my vision to keep it like this.

I think i'll have to replace a component but im not sure which one or how much it'll cost.
Does the cold have anything to do with this video problem? I have the iMac in front of the window. It's been going on for three days causing me to tap the sides to get it back to normal.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2004, 10:04 PM

On an LCD, the native color is white (that is the color that requires no input). On CRTs, the native color is black. I suspect that your LCD is either not getting or not processing the video signal. My guess--without actually seeing your machine--is that your LCD is on its way out.

Also, you didn't specify, but I'm guessing that you meant you have to tap the display and not tap the base.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

ApeInTheShell  (op)
Senior User
Mar 11, 2004, 11:05 PM

This is the earlier generation of iMacs, the colored series, so there is no lcd available
A couple of days ago it was a tap on the side but now i have to slam it which i don't do often, instead sitting through my white screen.

But yeah i agree, the display is going dead.
Thanks for your help

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2004, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by ApeInTheShell:
This is the earlier generation of iMacs, the colored series, so there is no lcd available
A couple of days ago it was a tap on the side but now i have to slam it which i don't do often, instead sitting through my white screen.

But yeah i agree, the display is going dead.
Thanks for your help
Sorry. Sometimes I read these things quickly and miss details.

I have never seen this problem on a CRT iMac. 10.2 or later on slot loaders can do weird things if you don't have the latest firmware. Check the Apple System Profiler and make sure you have 4.1.9f. If not, It's available on Apple's site.

Does external video work properly? If not, it's logic board related. If it does, your issue is probably in the Power/Analog/Video board, which is the most likely to go out on the all in one units. This is not a consumer replaceable part (but is fixable).
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

ApeInTheShell  (op)
Senior User
Mar 26, 2004, 01:50 AM

I updated to 4.1.9f and haven't seen a trace of the white screen. The screen sometimes jitters but only happens when i bump the desk or bring up iTunes from the Dock.
Overall, I'd say that did the trick

Forum Links
Forum Rules