Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > I'm proud of myself - hierarchical listing with PHP, Javascript and CSS

I'm proud of myself - hierarchical listing with PHP, Javascript and CSS
Amorya
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2004, 08:38 PM

http://www.amoryanorth.com/focus/forum_frames.php

I'm developing forum software, and have been experimenting with different ways to do threaded view. This took me ages to come up with, but seems to work a treat!

(BTW, feel free to nick the code. I borrowed the Javascript from another site anyway, and modified it enough until it worked for what I wanted. PHP available on request.)

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2004, 10:32 PM

I like it... It seems a little crowded, though, if you know what I mean. I would make it stretch out further horizontally.

P.S.
If you don't get your green stars and "Addicted to MacNN" at 1000 posts, when do you get it?

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2004, 01:49 AM

Originally posted by Amorya:
http://www.amoryanorth.com/focus/forum_frames.php

I'm developing forum software, and have been experimenting with different ways to do threaded view. This took me ages to come up with, but seems to work a treat!

(BTW, feel free to nick the code. I borrowed the Javascript from another site anyway, and modified it enough until it worked for what I wanted. PHP available on request.)

Amorya
Beautiful in its simplicity! I'd also add a 'cursor' style to the arrows for some better user feedback.

Nice one!
Computer thez nohhh...

Amorya  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2004, 06:45 AM

Originally posted by Jaey:
I like it... It seems a little crowded, though, if you know what I mean. I would make it stretch out further horizontally.

P.S.
If you don't get your green stars and "Addicted to MacNN" at 1000 posts, when do you get it?
Good plan. Alas I can't put the thing in a table (or it messes up the hiding/showing code), so I think I'll be learning some CSS for laying stuff out.

No idea re green stars btw. Didn't even realise I had 1000 posts until you mentioned it

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2004, 12:03 PM

are you trying to make some message board software or something?

Amorya  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2004, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by Truepop:
are you trying to make some message board software or something?
yup.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2004, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by Amorya:
yup.
ahh cool.

Personally I don't like threaded view like that I prefer the flat view of MacNN. one of the reasons why I am here.

But I do like the idea of the two frames so you don't have to hit the back button all the time. good call.

Amorya  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2004, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by Truepop:
ahh cool.

Personally I don't like threaded view like that I prefer the flat view of MacNN. one of the reasons why I am here.

But I do like the idea of the two frames so you don't have to hit the back button all the time. good call.
Normally I much prefer flat view. I use PHPBB when that's what I want.

Thing is, for this project, threaded view is in the spec. It's not my call, in other words

So I decided to try and write the best threaded view forum I could. I tried looking through hotscripts et al for an existing good one, but couldn't really find any I liked, so decided to have a go myself.

The split frame was in the last version of the site (written in ASP, which is why I'm totally rewriting)... and it does actually make it bearable for me to use. The ones where you keep hitting back drive me nuts too!

Amorya

Forum Links
Forum Rules