Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Power Mac Upgrade?

Power Mac Upgrade?
ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Apr 24, 2004, 04:26 PM

Specs:
Power Mac 6100 upgraded to G3
128 mb ram
Mitsubishi monitor

It uses Mac OS 9.1 and has worked in the past quite well with Photoshop, Director, and Quark. However, I am wondering if I should shell out the cash for a Power Mac G4?

It has to be quick enough to handle a workload of Photoshop, Director, and Dreamweaver, In Design/Quark, Toon Boom Studio and some Java. I work in a studio of four people and there are several projects we are doing which explains the different software.

I'm not sure if I could afford the Power Mac G5 at $1699 w/ a monitor now

thanks for any replies!

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2004, 07:54 AM

Originally posted by ApeInTheShell:
Specs:
Power Mac 6100 upgraded to G3
128 mb ram
Mitsubishi monitor

It uses Mac OS 9.1 and has worked in the past quite well with Photoshop, Director, and Quark. However, I am wondering if I should shell out the cash for a Power Mac G4?

It has to be quick enough to handle a workload of Photoshop, Director, and Dreamweaver, In Design/Quark, Toon Boom Studio and some Java. I work in a studio of four people and there are several projects we are doing which explains the different software.

I'm not sure if I could afford the Power Mac G5 at $1699 w/ a monitor now

thanks for any replies!

With the apps you listed, a G4 would make a world of difference, since most of them are Altivec enabled. Just the increased productivity alone would pay for the machine in a very short time, let alone the improved morale of your co-workers You can still get an OS 9 bootable G4 from the Apple store and several resellers too, which would also save you the expense of upgrading your apps to OS X versions.

Just be sure to max the ram and HD size. And, you can use your existing monitor if it has a standard VGA connection too, and then get a new one later on when the cash becomes available.

Of course if you WANT to upgrade everything to OS X, then by all means get a DP G5, and be prepared to be blown away.....
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2004, 10:14 PM

Get something like a dual processor Quicksilver or Mirrored Drive Door PowerMac. Dual 800, dual 867, dual 1 GHz, or dual 1.25 GHz should all show a tremendous performance increase over your cruddy little 6100 . Look for something that costs around $1000, and make sure you buy a good quality monitor if your current one isn't already good.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Forum Links
Forum Rules