Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Real Ale

Real Ale
Amorya
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2005, 09:13 PM

I never used to be that much of a drinker - had the odd pint or two, but usually of lager. But now I've become hooked on Real Ale, and have had over 15 pints this week! (Hopefully I'm not turning into an alcoholic - I forced myself not to drink today when I went out...)

So - do we have any other real ale fans? I went to our campus' Real Ale Festival on Thursday, and tried a load of new beers - favourites are Black Adder and Landlord. What do you guys like to drink?

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2005, 09:39 PM

dont think i have ever had "real ale" i'm more of a lager guy

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2005, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by Amorya:
I never used to be that much of a drinker - had the odd pint or two, but usually of lager. But now I've become hooked on Real Ale

Amorya
I started drinking (up north) on bitters and ales and preferred them over lagers. Now I tend to drink lager more often (my bird drinks it too and I did overdo the bitters) but I have reached that point where as long as it's alcoholic I don't really care.

There are some really nice real ales to be had though, more so up north than down south (there's some awful Green King ones). For the mass produced ones I'd say Theakstons, for the one off ones then you've got to look for a good local pub.

Kilbey
Baninated
Feb 26, 2005, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by Amorya:
So - do we have any other real ale fans? I went to our campus' Real Ale Festival on Thursday, and tried a load of new beers - favourites are Black Adder and Landlord. What do you guys like to drink?

Amorya
I am a huge fan of real ales. A real eye opener ain't they? Kinda makes that budmillercoors/bassheinieguinness taste like crap don't it?

I hate to break it to you, but here's the bad news. You will have to start making your own beer now. It's the only way you'll be able to afford to continue drinking real ales. Best of luck to you. I have been on this long wonderful road for about 10 years now.

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2005, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
I hate to break it to you, but here's the bad news. You will have to start making your own beer now. It's the only way you'll be able to afford to continue drinking real ales.
I must be lucky then. My local (which is 10 doors down from me, woohoo) charges �2.20 for a pint of lager, and �1.90 for the guest ales they bring in (they change weekly). I exclusively drink the real ales there, and it's cheaper.

It must be different in America, then...

The best time is going to the CAMRA ale festival held at the student union here in Durham once a year. You buy/rent a glass and a few tokens then go and try what you want. Great stuff.

Oh, and I brew my own too - I'm just not very good at it yet
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2005, 08:02 PM

Well Portland is beer heaven, at least in North America.

If you get a chance, check out anything by Laurelwood Brewery. They don't bottle at all but it is available on tap in good places. I've noticed people all over the US mentioning it on BeerAdvocate which surprised me since I thought it was my best kept secret (one of the brewers is a buddy of mine).

Lately I've been exploring the complex, fascinating and sometimes utterly bizarre world of Belgian Ales. I'm new to this vast landscape, but so far the journey is astonishing. Belgian Ales have some of the most utterly, staggeringly unique flavors imaginable.

Case in point would be the infamous Duchesse du Bourgogne which I sampled for the very first time just this week. Quite possibly the greatest beer in the world and without a doubt the most original. If you ever wonder if wine lovers are having all the fun, just find yourself a bottle of this beauty to open your eyes to a whole unexplored world of complexity and flavor.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2005, 08:31 PM

yeah, lager for me too

nasty british ones always hit the spot

in the summer i go for ale though. but i need atleast 2 to make me happy.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2005, 08:51 PM

I've had some very tasty ales from local microbreweries.
I've also had some real garbage that called itself "ale". Carlsberg used to make something called Elephant Pale Ale that tasted like a mix of beer and grapefruit juice.
Apparently they don't make it any more. Smart decision.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Forum Links
Forum Rules