Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook G3 800 - 9.2 vs 1.2, Tiger?

iBook G3 800 - 9.2 vs 1.2, Tiger?
B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2006, 11:06 AM

Hello all,

A friend just recently picked up a G3 iBook 800Mhz, second hand. I'm not sure about the history of it etc, but having had a look at it, I've found that it's got both 9.2 and 10.2 installed on the same single partition, with the default startup OS set to 9.2.

Now.. here's my questions, sofar.

Does my friend still need 9.2 installed? OS X includes a copy of classic - he could just use 10.2 to run his OS 9 apps in OS X, right?

Would an instalation of Tiger work on this model of iBook?

Are there any firewall settings or preferences in 9.2?

Also, does anyone know a list of startup key commands for OS 9?

I'm sure to have more questions as I work this out.. also, am I better off posting this in the OS X forum, where it's likely to get more views (and since most of my questions are about OS 9/X, rather than the iBook itself)?

Thanks for your help.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

lothar56
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2006, 01:54 PM

OS X's classic just uses an installed OS 9.2 system folder to run, aka the OS 9.2 system folder on the hard drive. Any Mac with built in firewire will run Tiger no problems, so the iBook should be okay. And yes, your questions about OS 9 commands are more likely to be answered in an OS forum.
iBook G4-1.33/768 || B&W G3-450/640 || Beige G3-G4 450/352 || Beige G3-400/256 in Classic case || Beige G3-300/256 || PB 5300cs Pictureframe 100/24

bluedog
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2006, 09:39 AM

Tiger will run quite well as long as you have 512MB RAM or better. I don't recommend running classic if you can keep it from autostarting and find alternative apps. It takes a lot of RAM and *most* apps have an equivalent/newer version or are not needed by most people today.

A clean install of Tiger will help clean up any old prefs.

Keyboard boot shortcuts are:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75459

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2006, 11:24 PM

Both Panther and Tiger are superior to 10.2. My G3 600MHz iBook runs both just fine. In fact, moving from 9.2 to 10.3 speeded it up considerably and made it as stable as a rock.

IMO, OS 10-10.2 were beta versions and not very good. 10.3 was Ready For Prime Time.

lilford
Apr 13, 2006, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by bluedog
Tiger will run quite well as long as you have 512MB RAM or better. I don't recommend running classic if you can keep it from autostarting and find alternative apps. It takes a lot of RAM and *most* apps have an equivalent/newer version or are not needed by most people today.

A clean install of Tiger will help clean up any old prefs.

Keyboard boot shortcuts are:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75459
Yup I have a new ibook G4 (see sig) with 512 MB of RAM, and tiger runs just fine on it. You could probably even run it on 256 but I would not reccomend it. Hey, Dude that posted first, how much RAM does your friends computer have? If it has at least 384 MB of RAM then you should just try to install at least Panther if not Tiger onto his machine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules