Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New software idea: church service planner. Opinions? [img

New software idea: church service planner. Opinions? [img
Amorya
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 05:46 PM

OK, I'm after feedback from anyone who uses computers in planning/printing/projecting church liturgy. I'm contemplating writing a new app to help do this, as all the existing ones I've found seem to be lacking.

Here's my idea - or a quick mockup thereof. I'm thinking of something similar to Visual Liturgy, but for Mac and supporting data projectors. Opinions would be great!

This is the main window. You can see the items that make up the service in the column on the left. Clicking on one lets you view/edit it in the pane on the right. The overview/detailed control relates to templates - I plan to allow iLife style templates of common services, and the overview mode would only show in the list the placeholders for things that change (eg hymns, readings) and hide the liturgy bits.

This is the library pallette. You can search the database of songs, liturgy elements or bible verses. Once you have found one, simply drag it into your document. You can also drag the other way, to add things to the library.

The 'Blank' tab lets you add a blank song/liturgy element to the document, if the item you want is not in the database.

This is a sample presentation display - it'll look much nicer than this 5 minute photoshop mockup, of course! Notice how it splits the service elements intelligently over slides - the verse of a hymn is on a slide of its own.

If anyone knows of software that already does this, please let me know. If not, it would be great to hear opinions! (Keep religious discussion to another thread please.)

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 7, 2006, 06:06 PM

Ok, but shouldn't this be in the software forum?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2006, 06:07 PM

How about using Core Image and making some kickass transitions between lyrics.

Give it some spruce compared to PowerPoint.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Amorya  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Ok, but shouldn't this be in the software forum?
Wasn't sure. It doesn't relate to existing software... I considered the development forum but I want opinions from non-devs too.

Originally Posted by olePigeon
How about using Core Image and making some kickass transitions between lyrics.

Give it some spruce compared to PowerPoint.
Could do. Keynote's pretty good in that regard, so it wouldn't be a killer feature, but if it's easy to program I guess there's no harm in including it.

The database of songs/liturgy is the key feature I think - layout wise, most churches I have experienced just want white text on solid colour background, no transitions.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Blue Flame
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2006, 07:32 PM

take a look at Easy Worship for inspiration, it's a windows program but pretty slick and similar idea

Forum Links
Forum Rules