Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Apple Remote Desktop help please.

Apple Remote Desktop help please.
phkc070408
May 12, 2010, 04:18 AM

I'm using ARD 3.3.2 on my MacBook Pro. I'm trying to get it to work so I can control my home computer while I am away from home. My home computer is behind a router.

I created an account at DynDNS and got a hostname and I entered that information into the Dynamic DNS portion of my router. I downloaded the DNS updater for my home mac (does this need to be running at all times?). I set up Port Fowarding to foward the UDP and TCP of 3283 and 5900.

If I go to Finder/Go/Connect to Server, and I type in "VNC://Mac-Pro.home/xxxx.dyndns.org" I am able to control my home computer with no problem, indicating to me that the DNS is set up properly.

Now, going into my desktop, in System Preferences/Sharing, I have "Remote Login" and "Remote Management" checked. Under Remote Management/Computer Settings, I have the box checked to allow VNC users to control the screen with a password checked and the same password in there as my computer password.

Now, when I go into ARD, into the scanner, and I type into the address bar "xxxx.dyndns.org" it points to my home ip address. Now, when I click on "control" I get a box with this information:

Computer 1: Mac Pro
DNS Name: XXXX.dyndns.org
Address: [my ip address]
User Name:
Password:

I am typing in the user name and password to my home computer, then click "Add." I get an error message "Connection Failed to Mac Pro." I also tried entering the user name and password to my DynDNS account as well as my Verizon Fios, but I can't get anything to work.

Does anyone have any insight as to what little detail I am missing? TY PRH

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2010, 05:05 AM

It looks like ATD requires more ports open than what you have. 5900 is right for VNC and that's working. Maybe somebody else here can point out which other points you need to have beside 5900 and 3283 for ARD to work. IIRC ARD also needs 5988. Have you tried adding that?

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 12, 2010, 06:14 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules