Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Unable to connect to public networks

Unable to connect to public networks
phkc070408
Jan 17, 2012, 09:44 PM

I have a MacBook Pro With Lion, version 10.7.2, and I am unable to connect to public networks.

Two examples of these networks are my network at school (where I log on with a user name and password), and at Amtrak, which is complimentary.
When I select to join the network, I receive a pop-up with the terms and conditions, etc. In the case of school, I am asked to log on (in Safari)
Sometimes the Pop-up doesn't load, other times it loads, I click accept, and am unable to navigate to a web site.
I do generate an IP address when I connect to these networks.
Once I join one of these networks and the failure occurs, I am unable to navigate the web until I restart my computer.
This does not happen on my home network, where I log-in through the Network Settings in the System Preferences.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Patrick

ibook_steve
Jan 18, 2012, 05:33 PM

You don't have to keep restarting your computer. Trying turning off and turning back on wifi to have it re-detect the public networks. You should also try turning off "Automatically join this network" in your Network preferences. That option may be preventing you from getting to the web page you need to access to get onto these public networks.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

phkc070408  (op)
Jan 20, 2012, 08:51 PM

Steve: That's all been done already.

phkc070408  (op)
Jan 22, 2012, 04:44 AM

I went to the Apple Store today or technical support. The genius there removed some files from /user/library/safari. I also performed a clean install of Lion, the install that keeps your applications and files installed, but restores all system files. Nothing works so far.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I do a clean install from the factory provided disk?

One other note, if I remember correctly, this seamed to begin when I performed the software update that installed iCloud.

Cold Warrior
Jan 22, 2012, 10:29 AM

Have you changed your dns settings at all? This can (but not always) prevent those pop-ups/agreements. I was at a hotel recently, and I couldn't get online. I cleared my google dns and got the pop up immediately. This continued for my entire stay, day after day -- as long as I had set dns, no pop up. Clear dns, and I could click 'agree' and get online.

Check out system prefs > network > wifi > advanced > dns. Clear out whatever is there, if it isn't grayed out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules