Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ram

ram
yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2003, 05:13 PM

Do you think the ywill come out a 1 gig ram stick so you can stick eventually more than 1 gig on the 17incher. Like how the power book 12 inch is. you can get up to almost a gig now with new ram chips.

I hope so. So I can fit more than a gig so I can run VPC

Over Achiever
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2003, 05:44 PM

Of course they'll come out with a 1 GB stick.

Will it be reasonably priced? It will start out at $800 or so, then after a year or two it'll drop below $500.

Will VPC be better w/ the additional memory? Maybe, maybe not.
"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you got."

spaced
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2003, 08:05 PM

For $800 you can just buy yourself a cheapo Dell to run Windows programs on.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2003, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by spaced:
For $800 you can just buy yourself a cheapo Dell to run Windows programs on.
Preceisely. There's no way in the world you should pay $800 to upgrade from 1GIG to 2GIGS of RAM. 1GIG itself is *plently* to run just about anything you want on a notebook, and for $800, as stated above, you may as well buy another computer.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2003, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
Preceisely. There's no way in the world you should pay $800 to upgrade from 1GIG to 2GIGS of RAM. 1GIG itself is *plently* to run just about anything you want on a notebook, and for $800, as stated above, you may as well buy another computer.
Well I would like to have vpc6 run smoothy and soon hopefully vpc7 eventually in the future. Can 1 gig be enoght and be smooth. y 800 bucks. Are you sure it will cost that much. A dell for 800 sux Iv seen them. Its horrible.

fuzz_ball
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2003, 07:27 PM

Adding more memory to VPC yields diminishing returns. The more memory you allocate to VPC, the bigger the "virtual swap" space gets, this means you are swapping to windows virtual memory (disk). This can lead to some performance loss and thrashing...

If you have a GB now, you're not likely to see much in the way of significant improvement in VPC by adding a second GB.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2003, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by yoyoman:
Well I would like to have vpc6 run smoothy and soon hopefully vpc7 eventually in the future. Can 1 gig be enoght and be smooth. y 800 bucks. Are you sure it will cost that much. A dell for 800 sux Iv seen them. Its horrible.
I have VPC5 running WinXP Pro. on my 17" PB w/ 1GIG of RAM, and it's smooth enough to browse the net and do minor things that I need it to, however I wouldn't recommend any major programs on it. But just by adding another GIG of RAM without touching anything else wouldn't make it run any smoother. RAM alone may improve performance ever so slightly, but not very much at all...128MB to 256MB is a huge jump in performance, but after you get to a GIG, the performance increases begin to dwindle.

And for $800 you can pick up a mid-range Dell desktop (escp. w/o a monitor) that'll do all your Win apps just fine.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Forum Links
Forum Rules