Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Instant Screen Lock

Instant Screen Lock
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2014, 05:24 AM

I don't like screen lock at all, personally. But since Safari requires you have it turned on to remember all passwords, I'm stuck with it. But at least if I set it to 4 hours, I won't have to deal with it much. That notion works great on my Mac mini. But on this MacBook Pro, it prompts me for my password instantly. Meaning as soon as the display goes to sleep and I wake it up. Even if it's 1 second later, I have to give it my password.

I've tried toggling it on and off, switching around the chosen time value. But nothing seems to help. It still looks like it's set for a 4 hour delay, but it still acts like it's set to "immediately".

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2014, 11:20 AM

Try opening up the plist com.apple.screensaver.plist in ~/Library/Preferences with an XML editor or Xcode. You should see a key named "askForPasswordDelay" followed by a numbers in seconds. What's the number?

Alternatively, you could just set a new value by entering
Code:
defaults write com.apple.screensaver askForPasswordDelay -int 28800
in the terminal (where 28000 is the number of seconds in 8 hours, if you don't want to deal with the lock all day).

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2014, 01:20 PM

The value is set to 14400. Which is 4 hours. Yet, the instant the screen goes dark, it needs my password.

Forum Links
Forum Rules