Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Google Checkout Replacement

Google Checkout Replacement
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2014, 05:12 AM

So I sell advertising on one of my websites at $100 per ad. People could pay with a credit card using Google Checkout and life was good. Then google killed it and now I have an advertising system with no way for people to make payments. And yes, it's been like this for a while. I've searched and searched for a replacement but I haven't had any luck.
Paypal is a huge scam, and they won't let me set up a new account because they think I still owe them $57, which I do not, and will not pay.
Amazon's SimplePay looks promising but I've had nothing but problems trying to set it up and after contacting them several times, it doesn't look like that system is going to work for me.
I tried a few other lesser known companies, but they all turned out to be way too complicated. I don't want to manage a shopping card, or process credit card transactions myself. I basically just want to stick a 'buy it now' button on my website, which sends you to the processor's website to complete the transaction. Nice and simple. But I can't find any solution like this any more.

Do you know of any solutions?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2014, 02:40 AM

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2014, 09:56 PM

Build your own integrated payment window with Stripe?

www.stripe.com

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2014, 03:16 AM

I tried stripe.com, it is far more complicated than my needs. I don't want to process payments myself, I want a simple buy it now button that sends you to the payment processor's website. Something nice and simple.

As far as google wallet, I didn't think it worked in the same way as checkout. I just checked out their website right now and typical google, i can't even understand how this product works, or what it does. But I'm pretty sure it wouldn't fill my needs.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2014, 03:20 AM

I'm almost tempted to just pay the $57 paypal things I owe them. But it would KILL ME to give up. Paypal and I fought over this $57 for years, they even sent me to several different collection agencies. We fought and fought until they finally gave up.

Maybe my question is the wrong question. Maybe what I'm looking for is a paypal alternative, not a google checkout alternative?

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2014, 08:07 PM

Stripe processes the payments, not you. You just slap the web form into your site: your Buy It Now button.

The payment processing is done through Stripe, but your user isn't bounced out to a 3rd party site, like paypal.

Stripe was initially invested in by PayPal co-founders

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2014, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
Stripe processes the payments, not you. You just slap the web form into your site: your Buy It Now button.

The payment processing is done through Stripe, but your user isn't bounced out to a 3rd party site, like paypal.

Stripe was initially invested in by PayPal co-founders
Yeah I tried using stripe but it's not a good fit. Like you said, it doesn't bounce you to the processor's site. It does everything in this floating window right on my site. This isn't good for me because my site doesn't use SSL. Even though the embedded javascript is over SSL, there's no way to know this just by looking, so it looks like you're giving your credit card over a non SSL connection, which I would never do. Also who's ever heard of my little website? If I were a buyer, I'd much rather pay using a known 3rd party, than appear to give my CC info directly to the website to process.

And lastly, it's not a simple buy it now button. The processes is more complicated. You use the floating windows to create these transaction tokens, then you have to send those tokens to your own server to be processed server-side. So yeah, Stripe is a no-go.

Forum Links
Forum Rules