Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Very new little project

Very new little project
Sascha_Luehrs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2004, 05:28 PM

Hello, I'm new to your forums and live in the city of Bremen in Germany.

Today I noticed that there is a new very little distributed computing project initiated by a postdoctoral fellow at Stanford University, and I think he is really worthy to be supported. The reason why I visit your messageboards to tell you from is just I really would like to help him ;-) I like supporting scientists by lending them my computers, and participate in distributed computing since 1999, mainly at Folding@home, Community TSC and Predictor@home. So I thought as probably you like to support science as I do, maybe there is a chance someone of you might be interested in supporting this little project, too.
A little "problem" with this project is it is for apple computers only.

The project tries to model the structure of a receptor protein. Its URL is http://cmgm.stanford.edu/~cparnot/xg...ord/index.html

Greetings,
Sascha L�hrs, from Germany

(sorry for my bad english )

reader50
Administrator
Jul 25, 2004, 05:52 PM

Welcome to our neck of the woods. Don't worry abour your English, assorted native English speakers here sometimes post far worse.

Someone called sjmielh managed to post this ahead of you. Not too many people have expressing interest yet, but the Mac-only part certainly draws attention.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 02:40 AM

Not a big time project, but it demonstrates Apple's XGrid very well. A real boon to projects that need more crunch power but don't have a budget to set up a "real" cluster or DC operation. Not all Stanford projects have the budget or grants of a "Folding@Home". Of course there are no bells, whistles, fancy websites, stats tables, competition or teams. Just plain old fashioned science.

http://cmgm.stanford.edu/~cparnot/xg...ford/news.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules