Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > [Price Advice] Heavily Upgraded Mac Pro

[Price Advice] Heavily Upgraded Mac Pro
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2013, 05:46 AM

Just wondering what you guys think I should be asking for my old Mac. I have a number in mind but I want to make sure I'm not leaving money on the table

Here's a basic rundown. It's a first gen Mac Pro.
It's been upgraded to quad core processors, so it's an 8 x 2.66ghz system.
It's got 14 GB of RAM.
It has a 90 GB SSD boot drive, 1 TB WD Black drive, and the original 250 GB HD.
It also has the original optical drive (dual layer superdrive)
It has wifi and bluetooth.
It's got an eSata pcie card with two eSata ports.
And lastly, it has an Apple ATI 5770 GPU.
It is physically in great condition. A few stray light scratches but otherwise it's very good.

What do you think? I searched ebay and craigslist, but because of all the upgrades, I'm finding it hard to come up with a number.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2013, 08:39 AM

Upgrades are always difficult to factor into a price but one thing holds true: They are worth less than you'd hope.

I'd be tempted to put a clean OS on the original 250GB, leave the RAM in there and if you have it, swap out the GPU for the original/an older one. Pull the SSD and the 1TB and the eSATA and the 5770 and sell them separately. You'll make way more than you'll get collectively.

A stock Mac Pro with a RAM upgrade is a nice option for someone who needs one but can't afford a new model. Much of that market won't appreciate the newer GPU, someone who wants that GPU will pay $150 for it I'd bet. Way less than Apple charge and its compatible with much newer machines so your target market is much bigger and more current and likely has more cash to spend than someone trying to skimp on buying a new Pro.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2013, 08:54 AM

If the GPU is from Apple then I would imagine there is no "original" one to swap it back with(?)
What about the original cpu, can you swap that back in?

Mac2Sell.net seems to think your system is worth over $1600, which seems high to me. But then when I tell it it's a quad core 2.66 instead of 8 core 2.8, it's a little under $1000, it seems the cpu makes a lot of difference. How much did that cpu upgrade cost anyway?

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2013, 08:58 AM

The original CPU is long gone. And I'm not going to part it out. It's enough of a pain in the ass selling one thing. If I break it down and try to sell the individual parts, I'll end up stuck with half of them forever. OR, I could sell the parts on ebay, where I'd get bottom-dollar for all of them, and then lose half of that to paypal and ebay fees. I'm definitely selling the machine whole and on criagslist. The only question is how much.

About the processors, I really don't know. I want to say $200-$300 for the pair but I can't remember.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2013, 10:24 AM

I'd say, as a whole, ~$1500-1800, depending on the buyer.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2013, 10:52 AM

Well I would hope your intended buyer would understand the kind of work-horse even a used Mac Pro is. No risk asking high and accepting a little less no?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2013, 03:19 PM

If you don't want to part the whole thing out, I'd at least sell the GPU if you still have the old one.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Phileas
Mac Elite
May 3, 2013, 07:38 PM

I just bought a 2.26 eight core with 16 GB of RAM, three 1TB drives, dual monitor out in mint condition for $1200.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 4, 2013, 12:37 AM

First gen Mac Pro? not worth more than $1000. Hell, even a brand new Mac Pro from Apple isn't worth more than $1000...

Screw you apple, we video pros want a real machine.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2013, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
I just bought a 2.26 eight core with 16 GB of RAM, three 1TB drives, dual monitor out in mint condition for $1200.
That's about right ($1300-1200), for that model.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Phileas
Mac Elite
May 4, 2013, 06:18 AM

We use it as an encoding machine. I was surprised by how fast that beast still is.

Forum Links
Forum Rules