Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Who's Going To Buy An iPod???

Who's Going To Buy An iPod???
Richard Clark
Senior User
Oct 23, 2001, 03:01 PM

It's about a $100.00 too much for me. But bang for your buck versus the Rios and other MP3 players is really good.

I want one but for now it's a

No

"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

Cosmo
Oct 23, 2001, 03:44 PM

There are two things keeping me from buying and iPod.

firstly its way over priced, if it were $100-$200 cheaper i would most likely buy it if not for the fact that I don't have firewire.

I think it is great that apple made this a firewire product, but it would be nice for first gen. iMac users to be able to use this as well. I know that is asking for a lot and I know that USB is slow and it would take great deals of time to transfer all five gigs of data, but if they had given it both USB and firewire there would be more potential buyers.

I guess i'll have to wait another 2 years or so before i get an iPod.
As I mentioned before I do not repeat myself.

www.CheerMarkham.com

SweetApples
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2001, 03:57 PM

Well, I for one hope, we�ll see a revamped iPod soon. iPod�s basic idea is great. Especially using iPod as a small Harddisk. Doing things like carrying CD-ROMs to my local DTP post producer would be history. I even consider saving the bucks for all the disks and buying an iPod instead. *BUT*
  • Never buy a Rev.A. product produced by Apple
  • Let them know Your suggestions and wait for future rev

I remember buying the hot ones first and arguing about the soon to be released precedessors. No way this time!
I�ll try iPod at my local reseller. Maybe it features some of the extra-features it should do. The next thing will be, to tell Apple what we need it to do.

xMetal
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2001, 04:16 PM

the main problem as I see it is that the iPod NEEDS to be cross platform and available to windows users. If Apple wants to get more people to appreciate the thought and design that goes into their products, they can't keep them all proprietary.

It's just a firewire hard drive with an MP3 player in it. Make it work on windows (even minus the fancy iTunes sync), drop the price to $250-300 and you've got a winner.

An Apple product *everyone* could enjoy, and a way to spread the apple word.

jimi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2001, 04:43 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xMetal:
[QB]the main problem as I see it is that the iPod NEEDS to be cross platform and available to windows users. If Apple wants to get more people to appreciate the thought and design that goes into their products, they can't keep them all proprietary.

You will NEVER see this product for windows! The whole point is to get people to buy Macs. Apple makes its money from selling CPU's. This is only one product that will be attached to apples digital hub. I'm sure other products are in the pipeline (maybe the source of some rumors?). If they break even on the hub products but people buy more CPU's they make $. A PDA w/airport would be nice. Stay tuned.

JBL
Oct 23, 2001, 05:02 PM

"Who is going to buy an iPod?"

Not me. I wonder what the market is supposed to be. Mp3s are really hot with college students, but $400 is a lot for college students. In my experience, people who can spend $400 on a whim don't usually have 5 Gb of mp3s. If it were cross platform I might be able to justify some of the expence as a harddisk (plug ALL your data into any computer), but it falls short there two.

I don't really think that it is TOO over priced for what you are getting, I just think it is too high end to find much of a market.

drainyoo
Senior User
Oct 23, 2001, 06:12 PM

STOP BEING CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!! Buy it and shut up. If you're to cheap to buy it then DONT!!!
i hate project managers.

Max8319
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2001, 06:23 PM

already did

<cpm>
Oct 23, 2001, 06:36 PM

Well a year ago I paid $300 for a Creative Nomad II - 64MB flash memory, USB, five hours battery life, a decent little MP3 player.

Apple's on the right track here, especially with the FireWire addition: transferring 5GB of MP3's over USB would take forever. It even takes too long on my Nomad for 64MB! Apple's done it all in a very small, attractive form factor. Price wise, I think they're dead on - low enough to be very competitive, yet high enough for good margins.

brown monk
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2001, 06:56 PM

I wont buy one, yet.

I think the price is right for what you get. I mean, most external firewire drives are in the $200+ range but you cant carry them around in your pocket nor plug in some headphones and listen to some mp3's.

If I had $400 to spare I would buy it in a second but that's not the case at this moment. Maybe a year from now when the price is around 200 or so I'll get one.

Happy for those who are getting it, as it seems like a really cool product overall.
brown is sweeter
me_puter: outdated

<Mac The Fork>
Oct 23, 2001, 07:08 PM

I'm not going to waste my last paycheque on that.

STOP BEING CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!! Buy it and shut up. If you're to cheap to buy it then DONT!!!
You're so right! Even more annoying are those cheap bastards who don't buy food or houses and die.

SDW2001
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2001, 07:34 PM

It is way too expensive, especially in this economy. I love Macs, but first the ridiculous cube price and now this.....not for me just yet.

Huxley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2001, 07:47 PM

Aye!

I'll be getting one by Christmas. I have a two hour round trip commute everyday on public transportation. I'd love to have one of these. No mention of an EQ on the iPod at Apple's store. Maybe they'll update the software later on - I hope.

I'll be able to get an mp3 from anyone I know who has a Mac with firewire, and that's quite a few people. I'll be able to carry this gadget around and gather mp3s like a squirrel collects acorns and build up an nice sampling of different music.

Can't wait to get it.

It's cool that they don't make these work with Windows. Just think about all of the lame stuff that works on PCs but not on Macs. Now Mac users have access to a cool gadget made specially for them - and their music. It's just another reason why when someone asks why Macs are better. Say, "see you can use these cool special gadgets." Don't even bother with technical details. You'll lose people over half the time with tech specs.

Show them how these (future) special gadgets make the Mac so much cooler and people have a better reason to buy a Mac. So, Apple has made their first gadget.

And I want one.

p.s. They'll be great in the Apple stores.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2001, 07:50 PM

Yes. Hopefully 2 (one for my Girlfriend who has no idea what an MP3 is but wants one and wants to give up her very cool Sony MD player).

I will consider it my $800 investment in the US Economy and a gifty for me!

muchfresh
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2001, 08:36 PM

I will get one but I have other consumer electronics devices higher up on the list

1) PS2 or Xbox wichever one is the better DVD player
2) Digital Camera
3) MiniDV camcorder
4) iPOD
5) PDA

this is exactly what I have been looking for: really small, lots of storage and hopefully the software works well. I have looked for IBM microdrive powered MP3 players but the only ones I found didn't work on Macs and got really really bad reviews. If I can find a PDA that accepts microdrives and plays MP3s I may end up skipping the iPod but I hear that IBM microdrives eat batteries.

I
'Satisfy the urge and discover the need' Q-Tip

BobVB
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2001, 09:06 PM

I had my order in about 30 seconds after the Apple Store reopened. (hey, I can always cancel it in the next 3 weeks, right?)

I've already gone through the I want it, maybe I shouldn't, and then back to I want it again. I think the last turn around was realizing it will have the same drive as the new 5 gig FireFly drive which is going to be similarly priced.

I'm hoping that all Apple peripherals are going to always be top of the line, very Mac specific, even if that means they're not cheap. But if you can afford them they will give you things that no other competing device will, like the iPod.

If someone can't afford the iPod, there are plenty of cheaper alternatives; one of the RioVolts that play MP3 CDs would be a great (that is what I'll be replacing). Personally I've found I really can't be bothered to carry anything much larger than a PDA; my RioVolt is stuck to thew all next to my computer with velco tape and is rarely moved. The chance to have an mp3 player that I will actually carry around AND be able to use it for file transfers with all my Mac owning friends and relatives will make it worth the price.

Yeah, I know if I wait for another 4 months a better featured model will appear, (look what happened to my iBook) but 5 gigs is enough for me, especially with the autosyncing by playlists feature of the iTunes2. Pre-set the lists and then sync away.

The more I talk about it the more I think I'll be happy with it.

Petrie
Oct 23, 2001, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by JBL:
<STRONG>"Who is going to buy an iPod?"

...Mp3s are really hot with college students, but $400 is a lot for college students. In my experience, people who can spend $400 on a whim don't usually have 5 Gb of mp3s...

I don't really think that it is TOO over priced for what you are getting, I just think it is too high end to find much of a market.</STRONG>

I think this is perfect for college students.

1) Price - I'll bet there's an Education Discount.
2) Why cart all of your CDs up to the dorm and pray that someone doesn't "borrow" them.
3) It's nowhere TOO high end to find much of a market. I have been using a trusty Rio 500 with 64MB for about a year now. I love it but I can only put a handful of songs on it. This would keep me going for weeks without a repeat.

All the other suggestions that I have read would be nice but folks - WE JUST JUMPED FROM 64MB TO 5GB!!! What else do you need to know?

Petrie
The bad new is I have MS. The good news is I don't mean Microsoft.

nana2
Senior User
Oct 23, 2001, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by Petrie:
<STRONG>
All the other suggestions that I have read would be nice but folks - WE JUST JUMPED FROM 64MB TO 5GB!!! What else do you need to know?
Petrie</STRONG>
Who's we? 6 GB RioJukeboxes have been around for a while, and for the same $399 you can get a 20 GB version!

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2001, 09:55 PM

PURCHASE INFORMATION

ORDER

Part Number: NP1023
Product Name: iPod
Unit Price: $399.00
Quantity: 1
Net Price: $399.00
Estimated time to ship: 3-4 wks

Your chosen shipping method is Ground Shipping.

ORDER SUBTOTAL: $399.00
ESTIMATED TAX AMOUNT: $26.53

ESTIMATED ORDER TOTAL: $425.53

I ordered after I looked at it a while on the Apple site.
The MP3 thing AND a pocket size FW drive is worth the dough.

Quitchyer cryin, start buyin'

Z

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: zac4mac ]

Cooter
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2001, 10:18 PM

Ordered one, too.

BTW, as someone who took and old 4GB Toshiba HD from my PowerBook and stuffed it into a DrivePak USB enclosure, you REALLY want firewire. Let me repeat- REALLY!

It takes for damn ever to transfer files from that drive to my puter. Think of the Nomad JukeBox and the iPod as the differnece between 56K dialup and broadband. One costs alot more but the speed differnece makes the user experience much more enjoyable. (Plus, please people, have you SEEN that Nomad Jukebox? Does the word dogpile mean anything to you?)

And, no one seems to get the benefit of using it as an external HD. Need to transfer that paper to the computer lab to print it out- BAM! Put it on you iPod. Taking some digital photos to the lab to have'm printed- BAM! Put it on the iPod. Trading pr0n with your firends.....BAM!.. . Let those RIAA bastards bust up that ring.

Anyhow, considering a Toshiba 5GB PC card drive goes for $399, the iPod looks like a decent deal.

BTW, who is the first guy gonna be to figure out how to hack the iPod? 32MB of RAM, 5 GB harddrive, unkown processor, FireWire port, small LCD screen. Sounds like a little miniputer.

Now, they gotta hack a way to DL files from one iPod to another without a host. That would be Shweet!
"People who sacrifice essential liberty for a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Benjamin Franklin

Brit Ben
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2001, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by Cooter:
<STRONG>Ordered one, too.

And, no one seems to get the benefit of using it as an external HD. Need to transfer that paper to the computer lab to print it out- BAM! Put it on you iPod. Taking some digital photos to the lab to have'm printed- BAM! Put it on the iPod. Trading pr0n with your firends.....BAM!.. . Let those RIAA bastards bust up that ring.
</STRONG>
Um, right, so who's writing the HFS drivers for Windows, or do all your friends use Mac's ?

Houston, we have a problem...
Ben.

Cooter
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2001, 11:02 PM

Um, right, so who's writing the HFS drivers for Windows, or do all your friends use Mac's ?

Ben.
Just the smart ones.
"People who sacrifice essential liberty for a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Benjamin Franklin

sirlexelot
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2001, 11:13 PM

Oh man, I saw this thing and all my desires were suddenly answered.

Yeah, $400 is a stupid pricetag, absolutely, but the only other HD mp3 player alternatives are awful. I want something that holds the entirety of my mp3 collection, period. I want something so small that I don't mind carrying it everywhere. And MOST OF ALL, I want something I can run with w/o worrying about it CONSTANTLY skipping.

So a month ago I bought an Archos Jukebox (a 6 gig mp3 player) for $240. 28 days ago I prompty returned the piece of s#!t. It was still a bit too big (albeit not the monstrosity that the creative jukebox is), had a miserable buggy interface, useless battery life, was more than twice as heavy as the iPod, and worst of all, sounded like ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Who bothers to make a portable audio device that's that costly and ship it with the cheapest amp they can find?

The iPod is everything I want in an mp3 player that I thought would take another year or more to come into existence. Too bad it's about twice as expensive as it should be, but I think I might just get one anyway. If you've done any research into alternative HD-based mp3 players recently, you'll see that the iPod truly is by far the best device on the market, bar-none. Take a peek at the hardware section of http://www.mp3.com and you'll see what I mean.

That's my long-winded two cents!
SirLexelot
10gig iPod, iPod Shuffle
Dual G4 867mhz Tower

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2001, 11:37 PM

I think an iPod will make a great gift, especially for someone who prizes ease of use.

PixelPimpzNYC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2001, 11:50 PM

I bought one as soon as I read the tech specs on Apple's site. No more hearing the same songs on my hour commute to Manhattan in the morning!

Added a new topic for all you complainers.

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2001, 11:51 PM

Drainyoo, you rock.

If you don't have the money to spend on Apple's premium devices, then shut the #uck up.

When you went out and bought at Apple, were you looking for the cheapest deal you could get? I know i sure didn't. I looked for the best piece i could get. I didn't care how much it cost.

You people saying that it's too damn expensive need to realize that you can't afford to be the Apple customer that buys EVERY little product that Apple puts on the market. Just realize it, and stick with the product that works best for you. As for me, i will be purchasing one by the end of the year. I say good for Apple and good for Jobs. They have another winner in the line of great products.
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

PixelPimpzNYC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2001, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by Frumpy:
<STRONG>Drainyoo, you rock.

If you don't have the money to spend on Apple's premium devices, then shut the #uck up.

When you went out and bought at Apple, were you looking for the cheapest deal you could get? I know i sure didn't. I looked for the best piece i could get. I didn't care how much it cost.

You people saying that it's too damn expensive need to realize that you can't afford to be the Apple customer that buys EVERY little product that Apple puts on the market. Just realize it, and stick with the product that works best for you. As for me, i will be purchasing one by the end of the year. I say good for Apple and good for Jobs. They have another winner in the line of great products. </STRONG>
Here... here... I second that!

Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2001, 11:55 PM

Already bought mine. Just waiting for it's delivery.

I admit that the price is way too high, but then I was going to purchase the 128mb version of the RIO, that would only hold about two hours worth of music, for $250.00

I didn't want want of the bigger/bulkier hard disk MP3 players out there.

Of all the MP3 players out there, I'd still have to purchase additional card to hold the amount of songs I'd get with iPod, and I still would have paid less with iPod, plus it works with iTunes 1 & 2.

What I like the most is that the battery is rechargeable with FireWire. Sure the drive size could have been bigger but 500 songs enough for me (maybe
)

Anyway, this is the FIRST time I ever bought a product the same day Apple announces it. Who cares if it goes the way of the Cube, I've got mine. I still regret not getting an Cube, damn.

Cam.

Petrie
Oct 23, 2001, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by nana2:
<STRONG>
6 GB RioJukeboxes have been around for a while, and for the same $399 you can get a 20 GB version!</STRONG>
Which only supports USB. How many days to fill that puppy up?

And does it automatically sync your MP3 files with your Nomad files?

And do I have to carry anything other than the player? No. For me, the fewer the extras I have to juggle, the better.

Petrie

Petrie
Oct 24, 2001, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by Brit Ben:
<STRONG>
...so who's writing the HFS drivers for Windows, or do all your friends use Mac's ?

Ben.</STRONG>
No problem, Ben. People who attended the conference said that they were told that there would be a PC version early next year.

Petrie

DavidRavenMoon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2001, 12:26 AM

OK, for $269 you can get a 6 GB Nomad Jukebox C. But look at what you get with the iPod... 400Mbps data transfer (the Nomad is USB), 32meg solid state RAM buffer, so you get 20 minutes skip protection (the Nomad Jukebox has 5 minutes, so you can't run with it), headphones that on their own would cost a bit (the Nomad Jukebox doesn't come with headphones).

A 5 GB Firewire hard drive that sells from Toshiba for $399!!!!

http://www.toshiba.com/taecdpd/where/enduser.shtml#

How anyone can think this should be $150... what MP3 player can you get for $150 that holds 5 GB? Get real! Sure for the same price you can have a big bulky Nomad that holds 20 GB. I don't need 20 GB, I need something I can out in my pocket. Plus 10 hour battery time Vs. 4 hours for the Nomad...

You can put it in your pocket. The Nomad is the size of a CD player. I already have a CD player! There is NOTHING like this on the market.

I want one of these!

When you break it down, the price is actually pretty reasonable. Should be $299... but it will come down. Quality is never cheap.

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: DavidRavenMoon ]
G4/466, 1 GB RAM, 60 GB, 30 GB, OS X 10.3.5

newportnews
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2001, 12:40 AM

I ordered one about 10 minutes after the Apple Store reopened... I was mulling it over for about 5 minutes and then decided to splurge. I have been in the market for an MP3 player and kept holding off because the Rio's didn't offer enough storage (128 MB is almost as much as an iPod) and the Nomad Jukeboxes are large and heavy.

I also do not like how everyone is saying this is not a revolutionary product... every MP3 player on the market will be "borrowing" features from the iPod for the next year.

Final Point: Is it a little on the expensive side? Yes.. I do wish it was $100 less but I think that it is a good value @ the $399 price point and the iTunes 2 syncing alone is worth the extra dough in my opinion.

Michael
iMac Core 2 Duo 20" 2.16 Ghz //1.5 GB RAM // 250 GB HD
Powerbook G4 1.25 Ghz // 1 GB RAM // 80 GB HD // Backlit Keyboard
iPod Video 30 GB / White

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2001, 12:46 AM

I will be ordering one shortly. Just want to verify that I can plug it into my car stereo first. If so, this will make one hell of a jukebox for when taking long trips!

OAW

Orange Luna
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2001, 12:53 AM

I'm such a geezer. I remember when I bought my first portable tape player. It was like $110 which was alot at the time. Well this is the same situation. No, it's not brand new but it is the best of the crop. The price will come down as new technology becomes cheaper - hopefuly.

Also I think Apple will make a Windows interface for this which I think would be cool. How many times have you seen a Windows product come out and then as an afterthought a Mac version would be released. Well now we can have the opposite! Cool.
"It's the cowards and weaklings and sorelosers who hide behind rules and fair play."
The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester

dvd
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2001, 01:01 AM

of course u can plug it into your car.. just think ....doesnt the adapter for the car stereo is the size of a normal head fone. .1/4 or whtever...so just plug wehre the headfone goes and blast your music away.
-Athlon XP 1500+, 256 PC2700 DDR RAM, 30 + 60 gig HD.
-Powermac G4 "Digital Audio", 384mb ram, 40gig HD, 16mb rage pro 128
-original iPod 5gig =]

kidtexas
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2001, 01:21 AM

Damn, and I was in the mp3 player buying mode 6 months ago and came home with an MD player. Great unit, but now I need to convince myself that it will still have uses once I buy my iPod

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2001, 01:35 AM

Originally posted by Petrie:
<STRONG>

Which only supports USB. How many days to fill that puppy up?

And does it automatically sync your MP3 files with your Nomad files?

And do I have to carry anything other than the player? No. For me, the fewer the extras I have to juggle, the better.

Petrie</STRONG>
Yup, it's just like serial pocket pcs. People boast about how you could watch movies on it day in and day out, but nevermind the tiny space on it; the transfer speed was unbearable. You might as well have sat at the computer and watched it and still be finished before the transfer was over. If you don't have a firewire port and you're going to plow $400 into this, just splurge the extra $20 for a firewire card; the time and waiting around saved it worth it.

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2001, 01:36 AM

-|-

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: Nebrie ]

eventhorizon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2001, 01:51 AM

Well I've ordered one. I, for a long time have been waiting for a mp3 player (since I have a 40 gig HD with 20 gig of mp3s on it) that can hold a lot, is small, and has a fast transfer, well now I have one. I didn't think it would come from Apple, but I'm glad it did, and now I have a pocket drive too. Great!

Event Horizion

<transfer rate>
Oct 24, 2001, 02:43 AM

If the iPod does have the same drive as the Firefly, then it probably has the same 12.5MB/sec transfer rate, which is 100mbps, not 400mpbs. Firewire is too fast for it.

But still, there's a huge gulf between taking 2 minutes to fill a 64MB card and 2 minutes to put on 1GB of music. I'll take the Firewire. And besides, it charges as it transfers. It just transfers too fast to get much of a charge!

hsl
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2001, 04:13 AM

I want one.......

But I have to wait till I have the money.
and maybe I am am gonna wait for a next version,
because two weeks ago a felt a bit screwed for buying my iBook too early.
The iPod2 would probably have new features and a bigger (faster) drive (but it probably takes 6 months before it will be intoduced).
(and probably a couple minor bugs will be fixed.)

I dont know what drive there's in the iPod, but everything is changing so fast. one year ago somebody would have been happy with 6GB in a laptop, and in the New Powerbook you can already put an 48GB....

But for now iPod Kicks ass is Beautifull and is not that expensive (for what you get.)

15,4" MBP (late 2008), 2,53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD | 27" ACD | 11" MBA, 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM , 128GB | 16GB iPhone4 | 32GB iPad

The biggest fan of JoliOriginals MacBook, iPad and iPhone Sleeves!

<Kit>
Oct 24, 2001, 07:16 AM

Comparing the Creative Jukebox to the Apple iPod is like comparing apple to oranges or vice versa. They use different hard drives!!! The iPod uses 1.8" hard drives from Toshiba. The 5GB 1.8" from Toshiba cost $399 alone. This means Apple is giving mp3 player away for the price of a hard drive!!! If you want to compare apple to oranges, how much is 5GB worth of flash media such as compact flash or smartmedia. About $1900. A Rio with 5GB of storage would cost $1900. Hell, the iPod is a steal then for $400. Having said that, $400 is too much for me. I would definitely get one for $250.

<wiggles>
Oct 24, 2001, 07:38 AM

Originally posted by Huxley:
<STRONG>Aye!

It's cool that they don't make these work with Windows. Just think about all of the lame stuff that works on PCs but not on Macs. Now Mac users have access to a cool gadget made specially for them - and their music. It's just another reason why when someone asks why Macs are better. Say, "see you can use these cool special gadgets."</STRONG>
Yep, an overpriced unoriginal Creative Nomad copycat. What a great way to claim superiority over PCs.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2001, 09:06 AM

I guess this topic should be called:

"Who's Not Going To Buy An iPod???"

I'm buying one...

<dissident>
Oct 24, 2001, 09:21 AM

At first I thought the iPod was pricy but very cool. But then I noticed that it doesn't have an optical digital in/output. To me this looks like a major fault, any pro music user want's to be able to hook up their iPod to a reciever and get the best quality possible with digital. now how many recievers have firewire, none! And they will probably never get firewire, they use optical or coax. the iPod is great for pro users in the that you don't have to store music in mp3, but you can store it in high quality AIFF.

<dissident>
Oct 24, 2001, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by muchfresh:
<STRONG>I will get one but I have other consumer electronics devices higher up on the list

1) PS2 or Xbox wichever one is the better DVD player

I</STRONG>
The DVD player sucks in both the xbox and ps2, because they both have a loud annoying fan which diminishes the movie experience considerably. so go with the xbox because it's a better gaming machine.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2001, 09:35 AM

I must have da' POD. But, the price, this is the same problem with the cube and the newton.... i am sorry to say that this product will suffer the same fate.

But, this is an idea I had::
Find out the Programming of the iPod and add things like games using those buttons, it CAN happen

if anyone thinks this is a probable idea, let me know, i am wundrun it meself

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2001, 09:51 AM

yep...

this is gonna be expensive....

I have for sale:
- a minidisc recorder
- 64 MB of RAM

and I wanna buy:
- an iPod
- 512 MB RAM
- OS X 10.1

maybe Santa wants to help..
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2001, 09:56 AM

Quote: Apple-- "Everybody will want one."

In a word, No.

I listen to music at home, on my nice stereo, on my car's in-dash CD player, or at work, on our pretty decent stereo.

I don't jog, or ride the bus, or a bike, so earbuds have no place in my life.

I'm not a big MP3 enthusiast, (yeah, I've got a few songs in iTunes-- it's just not a big deal to me) and I suspect that a lot of Mac users aren't. The iPod has in no way changed my predisposition against MP3 players, nice one though it is. Sorry, Apple, I'll probably spend that 400 bucks on a realy nice GPS unit.

I do hope they sell, though, and do't see anything wrong with it. I'm just not personally excited about iPod at all.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

<dissident>
Oct 24, 2001, 11:26 AM

Apple should bundle the iPod with the entry level ibook for like $1499.

Forum Links
Forum Rules