Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Is there a new Office for Mac version on the horizon?

Is there a new Office for Mac version on the horizon?
baeksoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2005, 10:42 AM

I'm considering whether to purchase Office for my powerbook. I don't absolutely -need- it, since I have Office 2003 on my Windows desktop, but it would make things more convenient.

That said, should I buy Office 2004 Mac now? Or is there a new product on the horizon that I should wait for?

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2005, 10:46 AM

There will be a new intel version... but no idea how long till that - and no idea if its a full update or a small update - if you need it now, buy it now
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

mchladek
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2005, 02:37 PM

I believe Microsoft generally updates Office for Mac within a year of updating Office for Windows. I think Office 12 for Windows is supposed to be coming out early next year. So I imagine the next major Office for Mac will be out very late next year or early 2007.

ryan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2005, 05:03 PM

If you don't absolutely need it now, you can always use an alternative such as Openoffice. But Office for Windows doesn't look like it would be coming out anytime soon, so it would be well over a year from that a new Office for Mac will be released.

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2005, 05:53 PM

A new Mac version of Office won't be around for a long time. Office 12 is still way off and in it's first instance, the Mac version will be watered down anyway. I'd buy now if you need it.

Shades of Gray
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2005, 07:26 PM

Actually, the Mac version of Office 12 will appear at the same time as the Windows version - estimated to be late 2006. It will be XML based, which will be a good thing. However, not sure of the implications VBA (Mac VBA is VB 5-based; Win VBA is VB 6-based; speculation is that VBA Office 12 will be .Net based, but that may have significant impact on Mac compability).
Ignore the argumentative nature of this poster. He is old and can't engage in meaningful dialog
very long. Therefore, management asks that you at least humor him. Thanks.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2005, 07:08 AM

It's my impression that the Mac Office codebase is pretty much separate from Windows Office, so I doubt the Windows version's reliance on .Net would be a problem.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Jan 13, 2006, 02:37 AM

Has Microsoft given a timeframe as to when we can expect a fully native version of Office? Office for Mac hasn't really changed much since the first version came out in 2002? Two versions, which were essentially the same with only minor changes.

I'd like something that runs better and isn't so choppy on my machine. I shouldn't have to turn off every included option just so I can type comfortably. This is why I'm really looking forward to the next version of Office.

Microsoft recently signed a new five year contract with Apple, so that has to be worth a couple more versions of Office...

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

JLL
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2006, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Shades of Gray
Actually, the Mac version of Office 12 will appear at the same time as the Windows version - estimated to be late 2006
Are you sure? They usually don't overlap. Office v.X was version 9 and Office 2003 for Windows is version 10(isn't it?) Office:mac 2004 is version 11 and the next version for Windows is version 12.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

philcozz
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2006, 12:04 PM

Related: The Mac person who spoke during this week's Macworld keynote said some key updates for Office 2004 will be available via free download off of Microsoft's site in March, including adding Spotlight support to Entourage... That will be very cool (she got some applause from the MW crowd with that one!).

Shades of Gray
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2006, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by JLL
Are you sure? They usually don't overlap. Office v.X was version 9 and Office 2003 for Windows is version 10(isn't it?) Office:mac 2004 is version 11 and the next version for Windows is version 12.
Yes, this is a major shift by MS with Office 12. In past releases the Mac/Win versions were staggered (alternating years). Not so with Office 12.

Forum Links
Forum Rules