Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Minor Irritant Thread

The Minor Irritant Thread (Page 11)
Thorzdad
Dec 19, 2020, 10:49 PM

I’ve been using DDG exclusively for several years now for regular search, but Google’s still my choice for image searches, though they definitely seem to more and more prioritize the $tock photo sites in the results. DDG’s image search is getting better, though.

Brien
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2020, 12:10 AM

Yeah, DDG used to be useless.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 20, 2020, 12:05 PM

I've tried DDG a couple of times and it was jarring how bad the results seemed. I may be willing to give it another shot. Though a lot of my image searches are for really specific, obscure industrial products and Google can only usually find one or two actual good results, I'm worried that any lesser engine will be worthless.

I did use a Chrome extension for a while that filtered out all Pinterest results from Google image searches, which was a godsend. It seems like half the image results were to Pinterest which ended up being dead ends with no useful info. Unfortunately, that extension broke Google Maps to where searching for a town name would give me no results, and also it broke the thing where Google will show several results from the same forum or site compacted. When you click to expand the results from that site, it would come back and say there were no results at all from that site. So I disabled the extension and everything's working again. But recently I was doing a search for headboard images and at least 80% of the results were Pinterest dead ends.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 25, 2020, 04:02 PM

Vendors’ web sites with “progress of your order” timelines are often VERY wrong.

I ordered a thing on 3 December, and the vendor’s site had an order timeline, with a supposed “in production” date of 11 December and “complete” on 12 December. It stayed in “order confirmed” until 13 December when it finally went to “in production.”

On 18 December with NO updates since the 13th, it showed as “shipped” with a FedEx tracking number. FedEx showed that “a shipping tag was created” on 12 December. Grrrrr...

FedEx finally got the thing on 23 December, and since it’s going by ground, it won’t be delivered until tomorrow. That is assuming that FedEx actually bothers to try to deliver it.

Shouldn’t “shipped” mean there’s a chance that the product is somewhere close to leaving the vendor’s shelf? I think so.

At least it wasn’t a Christmas present...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Thorzdad
Dec 25, 2020, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
At least it wasn’t a Christmas present...
A friend of ours, who lives just across town, mailed a present to us Dec.1. Soon after, stories started hitting the local news about delays at the main USPS sorting center in Indy, because they weren’t able to fully staff the place due to COVID.

About a week passed and the tracking on the package still showed it in the sorting center. Two weeks, still there. At two-and-a-half weeks, tracking was updated to show that the package was now in-transit...to Cincinnati.

Still hasn’t arrived here.

She’s a manager at Trader Joe’s, and her packages are always delicious.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 25, 2020, 07:12 PM

I'm seeing signs of USPS stress also. Items on the way no longer show delivery estimates in USPS tracking, and I've seen multiple routing errors. Sometimes they don't even say where it was, just a date and "in transit to destination". I figure it got embarrassing enough, they're hiding the wrong location unless it's a hub.

Too bad all those sorting machines got trashed before the holiday rush.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 26, 2020, 06:19 PM

USPS has been raped by the (insert appropriately crude epithet/childish name calling/etc. here) “Postmaster General”. All to prevent voting by mail from working. He wasn’t even a good minion, and we got to vote by mail anyway. But he wrecked much of the USPS infrastructure, and it will take years to rebuild the major sites that were ordered to literally remove and trash expensive mail handling equipment.

But that’s not a “minor irritant,” so I won’t rant any further on that point.

My purchase got from Nashville to Arkadelphia AR, to Houston. It sat (literally by time stamps: 0424 to 1624) 12 hours there before apparently being loaded on another truck yesterday afternoon. The last time stamp was 0425 today, for what I hope was that truck heading toward San Antonio.

I can drive from Pasadena TX (well east of Houston) to San Antonio in about 4 hours without pushing... As of 1616 this afternoon (as I type), there’s been no change in the FedEx tracking for this package. Which, by the way, FedEx says is scheduled for delivery “Sat December 26 by end of day”. I really don’t see them pulling that hat out of this particular rabbit. This has gone from being about the vendor being vague about the meaning of “shipping” and morphed into yet another case of “how does FedEx stay in business when they do this...?”

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 26, 2020, 09:57 PM

Update: my item is now at the Cypress, Texas FedEx facility, having arrived at 1428 this afternoon. It looks like they spent all day getting my item from US 290 and the Sam Houston Tollway (Tollway 8) all the way to Grand Parkway and West Road. That's about 10 miles direct distance, maybe 15 miles by road.

The story goes that Fred Smith, founder, chairman and CEO of FedEx, was so desperate to keep the company from failing that he took the company's last $5,000 to Las Vegas, and used his $27,000 blackjack winnings to pay the company's $24,000 fuel bills. Somehow I don't doubt both the incredible luck, and incredible problems of this company. And somehow they stay in business... (No knock against Smith himself, but from my own personal customer service perspective, it's just astonishing that his company can do so poorly at getting stuff to people and still keep going.)

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 27, 2020, 09:24 PM

Final update:
My package showed as being in Cypress at 1418 yesterday afternoon, and the website had no more updates this morning at about 0600.

Then later this morning, it showed that at 2137, the package left Cypress. At some time this morning, probably about 1000, the site showed that the package arrived in San Antonio at 0556 this morning, and was now on a FedEx truck for delivery. But... It also said "for delivery on the next business day." In other words, Monday.

I was OK with that. At least it was local now.

At 1310 today, Sunday, the FedEx guy delivered the package.

I'm less irked by this sudden "get it to the customer" thing than completely confused by it. But anyway I got my stuff. Finally.

Thorzdad
Jan 14, 2021, 02:00 PM

There's this Samsung Galaxy ad running on cable right now, and it features this autotuned-to-death Justin Bieber song where he's moaning on and on about being lonely. The capper is the final bit where he slowly drones Lo-O-o-O-only, with the autotune ramped-up to 11. It's like nails on a chalkboard. Depending on what I'm watching, it's shown at every damned commercial break.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2021, 10:08 AM

Car blocking my garage for 32 hours. Finally got the ****er towed.

Now I get to shovel it out at 8° instead of 20.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 8, 2021, 09:53 AM

3yo and I were out scooping yesterday, it was around -1. She got mad when I finished and told her it was time to go inside, she wanted to ride her scooter around some more. Wife was inside huddled on the couch with a sweatshirt and two blankets. Daughter is definitely mine.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2021, 03:28 PM

When my iPhone auto-corrects a misspelled word to two words, when I backspace to try and get it to revert to my original word that wasn't actually misspelled, it doesn't offer to change it back to my original word. If it auto-corrects a single word to another single word, you can easily revert to the first word.

"Clearancing" made it very mad it and it changed that to two words. I had to go back and retype all of it. It happens especially a lot when I fat-thumb something and misspell it and the iPhone changes it to two words.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2021, 06:23 AM

I have a similar problem where the autocorrect will fix the word I’m typing but also randomly capitalize the previous word.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2021, 06:10 AM

I’m hoping it’s just the cold, but the Jurassic size mother****ing cockroaches in my building have mounted an offensive.

Ω
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2021, 07:25 AM

Welcome your new overlords
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2021, 07:52 AM

Not until they pry the hand vacuum out of my cold, dead hands.

Thorzdad
Feb 15, 2021, 05:52 PM

Yesterday, for some unfathomable reason, there came to be a gorgeous, black, Maserati Quattroporte parked in front of my home. Well, sort of in front. Probably closer to between my home and the neighbors’ place. Trust me, I don’t live in a Maserati neighborhood, so this was a real odd thing to see.

Anyway, here’s the irritant...The car was absolutely beautiful, except for the large, effin fugly white vinyl car-dealer’s logo decal slapped on the tail of the thing. It wasn’t even an attractive logo. It was big, chunky letters and what looked like freakin’ arrows. I know car dealers aren’t the klassiest of folks, but c’mon.

Though, I’m not sure who’s more irritating, the dealer who would slap a big, vinyl cancer onto such a beautiful machine, or the owner who doesn’t remove the damned thing as soon as they get it home.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2021, 07:24 PM

Back when I had a Cherokee Sport, the first thing I did when I got it home was take a hair dryer to the “Sport”, and the sport racing lines on it. Yuck.

Kept the “4x4”.

andi*pandi
Feb 16, 2021, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Though, I’m not sure who’s more irritating, the dealer who would slap a big, vinyl cancer onto such a beautiful machine, or the owner who doesn’t remove the damned thing as soon as they get it home.
Likely: this was the dealer advertising his business by parking in random neighborhoods.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2021, 02:57 PM

When I was a boy, Maserati dealers would advertise by giving away cocaine.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2021, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I’m hoping it’s just the cold, but the Jurassic size mother****ing cockroaches in my building have mounted an offensive.
I hacked their comms and they’ve ordered a tactical retreat.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2021, 01:35 PM

There is no way in hell I’d choose to live in a place that had cockroaches, haha. My northern sensibilities do not translate well to the southern climes.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2021, 05:19 PM

I definitely didn’t choose to. Had no idea the place had them until well after I moved in.

They definitely bother me. If the invasion levels were the norm I’d move. In general, they only end up in my apartment if they’re lost. The building has 80+ units, and my floor has only two of them. The other floors are their meal ticket.

Thorzdad
Mar 2, 2021, 08:36 PM

I’ve started experiencing a thing called scintillating scotoma. I haven’t figured out what, if anything, triggers it. It starts out small, grows to cover about half my field of vision, then slowly recedes off the left side of my field of vision. Overall, it’s just about an hour to an hour-and-a-half in duration. No headache is involved.

It’s weird and kind of interesting to watch, once you understand it’s going to go away eventually. But, annoying, nonetheless, as you can’t really do anything when it’s at its peak, because you can’t see clearly.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2021, 11:10 AM

My install of Photoshop 2020 shit the bed, and 2021 is jank.

reader50
Administrator
May 5, 2021, 11:53 AM

UPS downgraded their tracking page. Apparently recently. All tracking details are gone. No dates & times for waypoints. Just:

(*) Label Created

(*) Shipped

(-) On the Way

( ) Delivery

Couldn't find a way to bring the details back. I suppose the detailed version was too much for us customers. We're so easily confused, you know.

ghporter
Administrator
May 5, 2021, 12:09 PM

At the same time, they unified their iOS apps. So my iPad’s UPS version wouldn’t run (with the “needs to be updated for this OS” message), but the (recently updated) version on my phone ran fine.

Instead of letting users know about this change, they sort of snuck it in…. Not cool.

kritikas
Baninated
May 6, 2021, 03:10 AM

really thanks for the thread dear. Here it has really helped me.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2021, 03:22 AM

I finally get the recognition I deserve.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2021, 01:13 PM

No packing material was removed from this box.

andi*pandi
May 22, 2021, 01:53 PM

meanwhile today I received a large box with curtain rods and a ton of packing bubbles.

ghporter
Administrator
May 22, 2021, 04:23 PM

…and we received a small rake (for policing up after dogs in the back yard). It is about 3’ long, but was in a pretty big box (24x36x18), and packed with corrugated honeycomb blocks like this:

The last time I ordered glassware through Amazon, it came in the maker’s box of 6, and that box was well packed within Amazon’s box. But when I started taking the inner box out, it made “sounds” and stuff like sand started coming out…. Yeah, they were trashed.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2021, 11:48 PM

When there’s not really a good thread for something which doesn’t deserve its own thread.

Like the fact there’s a falafel emoji.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2021, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
When there’s not really a good thread for something which doesn’t deserve its own thread.

Like the fact there’s a falafel emoji.
PC culture gone wild.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2021, 10:11 AM

More like cultural appropriation.

To be serious, what I found interesting is the emojis are granular enough at this point they have it as a sammich and a plate.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2021, 03:42 PM

"Related results" are murdering my search efficiency. Facebook Marketplace is the most blatantly egregious offender where they almost complete ignore the search terms and just show whatever bullshit they want to. But now Amazon, instead of just admitting that they don't have what I'm looking for, will show me 60-80 results that are NOT what I'm looking for, but go to the same vehicle, for example. I don't care that I can buy oil and spark plugs for that car, if you don't have the 36-1 tooth reluctor wheel that I need then you are no good to me and I need to move on. But you can't just say that, because you need to engage me and maximize my session duration.

Thorzdad
May 31, 2021, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I don't care that I can buy oil and spark plugs for that car, if you don't have the 36-1 tooth reluctor wheel that I need then you are no good to me and I need to move on.
For anything beyond spark plugs or filters, you should use RockAuto instead. Even if Amazon lists such an item, the chances are good it's a really cheap knockoff that will somehow fail as you're trying to install it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2021, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
For anything beyond spark plugs or filters, you should use RockAuto instead. Even if Amazon lists such an item, the chances are good it's a really cheap knockoff that will somehow fail as you're trying to install it.
I use RockAuto for everything I don't need today. They're great for replacement bits and bobs but they often don't have the really specific manufacturer parts. I have a couple RockAuto boxes of brake rotors in my garage right now, and a brake line on the way from them too. They're usually half the price of the parts stores, so if I can wait a couple days then I do.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 2, 2021, 06:36 PM

Minor? Maybe. Woody tomatoes.

When you slice a tomato and when you get half way through you feel the knife drag…that’s the stuff. It’s a fibrous core in the fruit, usually going at least half way through it. So slicing for a burger, you need to slice from the bottom to get good slices. Unless you want to “core” the slices. Not cool

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2021, 07:17 PM

If I drop off a letter addressed to a Post Office box at the Post Office containing the box, it still needs a first class stamp.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 6, 2021, 12:45 PM

New dress shirt. Secured by pins, so it stays folded flat. With paper & plastic inserts so it stays folded flat.

But wait ... why add pins, when the paper & plastic handle the problem? Could they at least get away with one (1) pin as a finishing touch?

I removed six pins. That I could find. No doubt I'll notice any missed ones.

As it doesn't seem safe or proper to throw pins away in the trash, I have a scoop with a lifetime accumulation of new-shirt pins. Anyone know what to do with them? (sorry, no voodoo dolls on hand)

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2021, 01:27 PM

I usually dispose of them by sealing them into a two-liter bottle, and then pitch the bottle (not in the recycling bin obviously).

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2021, 01:10 PM

Busted water pipe in the unit above me.

andi*pandi
Jun 8, 2021, 01:47 PM

that's a major irritant, I'd say. Landlord on it?

In the minor realm, it is 95, we have not had rain for days, and in the addition there is a leak coming from the wood-paneled ceiling. Nothing above it but roof/shingles (ie, no place for water to pool, animals to live?). The panelling is circa 1985 so not green. Where is this moisture coming from!?!?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2021, 01:58 PM

They are! It seems to have slowed down. At one point it was coming down about a gallon a minute. Glad I was home.

Your roof issue is a bit of a puzzler.

Edit: it’s just dripping now.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 8, 2021, 03:06 PM

Related to andi’s situation, but different…

For the month, Bexar County is at 3-4 inches of rainfall - way ahead of normal. This has reversed our trend toward more water use restrictions and while nothing had gotten brown, everything is a lot greener. But the mold count is going higher. So I’ve had this sinus issue going for a week. Stuffy, drippy, a little bit of a nose bleed from time to time, yuck. Not a fan. Would not recommend. Zero stars.

Thorzdad
Jun 8, 2021, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
In the minor realm, it is 95, we have not had rain for days, and in the addition there is a leak coming from the wood-paneled ceiling. Nothing above it but roof/shingles (ie, no place for water to pool, animals to live?). The panelling is circa 1985 so not green. Where is this moisture coming from!?!?
Any water pipes routed above the ceiling?

Do you have AC? The last house I lived in had the air handler mounted in the attic, and the condensate drain was plumbed above the ceiling and then down an exterior wall to a drain. If your setup is like that, the condensate plumbing might be leaking. It’s surprising how much water the system moves when it’s hot/humid.

andi*pandi
Jun 8, 2021, 08:04 PM

This is a one-room addition the width of the house, no upstairs. Trying to imagine how there could be water pipes in the roof... we don't have central air, we don't have an attic, so we shouldn't have condensate plumbing. Unless they connected the forced water baseboard heat from the upstairs to the downstairs somehow... no, it must go from another room that is closer.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 9, 2021, 12:16 AM

I'd have voted for A/C condensate drain line too. Note that some high-efficiency gas furnaces also have condensate drain lines. But if a condensate line is out ...

B) If your area is suitable for evaporative coolers, they may have run a 1/4 inch copper water line to a suitable location in the roof. If so, there will be an accessible shutoff where the copper line originates. Most likely in the garage and/or near the water heater.

C) If your home was a track home, was there an option for an upstairs? If so, lines may have been roughed in. Shouldn't happen, but everyone makes mistakes. Someone may have misread the plot plan, and added the plumbing risers to a 1-storey version.

note: the leak might not be in the ceiling where you see it. It could be anywhere above it, and runs down the vapor barrier (plastic sheeting) until it finds a hole or seam.

Forum Links
Forum Rules