Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Setting Default Account In Apple Mail

Setting Default Account In Apple Mail
TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2006, 01:04 PM

Can anyone enlighten me on how to set the default account when sending an email using Apple Mail application. I am running OSX 10.2.8 Jaguar and when I compose an email in Apple Mail, there is a drop down window which enables me to switch between two different email accounts to use to send it. I would like to change the default email account but I am having a bugger of a time figuring out how to do that. I don't want to have to manually change the account each and every time I compose and send an email. Any guidance is most appreciated. Peace out . . .
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2006, 01:20 PM

I believe it is the order in which they are listed under the "Accounts" set-up within Mail's preferences? Whatever is listed first is going to be the primary/default account. You may want to check that and see if your wanted default address is the second one listed and not the first. If so, simply switch them and you'll be set.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2006, 05:00 PM

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Mail selects which account it sends from based on the account that currently has an email highlighted in the In box.

Say I have two email accounts, [email protected] and [email protected]. I have been reading emails and decide I want to compose one. The last email selected in my In box is one that was sent to my macnn account. When I go to compose the mail, my macnn account will be selected as the sending account.

I don't know if it worked like that in Jaguar Mail or not, but I know it did in Panther and continues to do so in Tiger.

Hope that made sense.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2006, 05:14 PM

I don't recall how if this is how it was in 10.2.x, but in 10.4 in the "composing" pane of Mail's preferences there is an option to set the default account.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

TheZee  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2006, 11:14 PM

Thank you one and all for your expertise and guidance. Cybergoober, you are correct, I found out, that whatever address that the email highlighted in the inbox indicates determines what the default address will be when chosing to compose an email. Frustrating feature if you ask me. I wonder, is there a way to set the default email address used when composing or do I have to double check the address each time I compose?
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2006, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by TheZee
I wonder, is there a way to set the default email address used when composing or do I have to double check the address each time I compose?
Look above, Mr. Blur has the answer for you...

Forum Links
Forum Rules