Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > vista rtm & boot camp report

vista rtm & boot camp report
Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2006, 12:08 AM

O.k i know how dare me to install vista on mac os x hardware. Hey i love windows media center
is years ahead of front row so i decided to give vista a shot. everything works perfectly, installation without hiccups, every program i have thrown at it works on vista, aero on this silver sexy machine looks amazing.

Just in case you guys wondered about vista and macbook the rating i got is 4.6 im running a 2.33 high core 2 duo.

kerisabe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2006, 02:05 AM

Wow! I shouldve installed vista! I just installed XP Pro SP2 last Thursday. It works flawlessly, was thinkin of doin vista, but ill wait for another 6 or so months.. Keep us updated.
REPLACING THE DEFECTED iMAC 24" ---> 24" Eizo CG241W screen | 8-core 2.8Ghz Mac Pro | 8GB | 320GB 7200rpm | 500GB 7200rpm | NVIDiA 8800GT 512MB |
NEWLY RECRUITED and RETURNED -->24" iMac | 3.06Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB | 500 GB 7200rpm | FW400+800 | DL DVD-RW |
RETIRED -->17" GL MacBookPro | 2.16Ghz | 2GB | SD | 120Gb 5400rpm | FW400+800 | DL DVD-RW |

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2006, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Javizun View Post
O.k i know how dare me to install vista on mac os x hardware. Hey i love windows media center
is years ahead of front row so i decided to give vista a shot. everything works perfectly, installation without hiccups, every program i have thrown at it works on vista, aero on this silver sexy machine looks amazing.

Just in case you guys wondered about vista and macbook the rating i got is 4.6 im running a 2.33 high core 2 duo.
4.6? Wow.. M$ really do have high hardware expectations ! If the top of the range MBP hardware can't reach a solid 5 rating, I don't know what would..
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Javizun  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2006, 03:47 AM

well i only gave it a 10gb partition maybe thats the reason?
so far games office and 2 hands full of apps i have installed work flawlessly.

my wifi and bluetooth is not working-but i havent really tried on finding a fix. Will do tomorrow
isight not working.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2006, 06:03 AM

Why Media Center?

If this developer's past performance with regards to gaming and other-platform integration is any indication (and we all know what that means ), I bet we see on-the-fly transcoding of movie formats. Boo. Yeah.

kerisabe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2006, 11:12 AM

Javizun,

that's one of the reason why I didn't install vista since apple hasn't created the correct drivers that will enable the wi-fi and some other things. I did 18Gb partition for the XP, and it works flawlessly FAST.
REPLACING THE DEFECTED iMAC 24" ---> 24" Eizo CG241W screen | 8-core 2.8Ghz Mac Pro | 8GB | 320GB 7200rpm | 500GB 7200rpm | NVIDiA 8800GT 512MB |
NEWLY RECRUITED and RETURNED -->24" iMac | 3.06Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB | 500 GB 7200rpm | FW400+800 | DL DVD-RW |
RETIRED -->17" GL MacBookPro | 2.16Ghz | 2GB | SD | 120Gb 5400rpm | FW400+800 | DL DVD-RW |

Javizun  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2006, 12:17 PM

kerisabe thats a bummer right now will try some stuff today to see if i can find or force drivers from the boot camp driver cd
A.I.R (ART IS RESISTANCE)

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2006, 01:21 PM

Javizun - How's your experience with just the Media Center itself? I've been eyeing one for a while, just wanted to get some hands on view on how the whole experience is..

Javizun  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2006, 02:51 PM

The media center experience so far have been awesome and exactly what i wanted. I have a network drive that holds all my music-pictures-videos etc. I linked all those folders with media center and everything works fine the menus are quick-everything is snappy love the interface.
playing videos-listening to music and slidshow playing pictures is easy the only problem is that since my bluetooth is not working yet i cant accomplish the 10 foot rule. So everything have to be done using the laptop and i have to be wired since wireless is not working.

i just finished testing the speech recognition system and it works fantastic (i didnt think it was) i had some school work that i needed to type up and print-i read my work to the computer it typed it automatically i printed it im all done.

Javizun  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2006, 08:20 PM

o.k installed the drivers from boot camp latest release-and the isight camera is now recognised under vista but it says unassigned. Bluetooth is working now on vista.
on device manager it says atheros driver installed and the chip is shown but i cant surf. i am looking around for a solution on how to turn on the wifi on the macbook pro.

-i have tested everything and the only things not working is the backlight keyboard,isight recognised but dont know how to actiavte it same goes for wifi.

eject button on the keyboard works-using mighty mouse bluetooth in vista smooth like babys ass.

Anybody know how i can activate the atheros wifi? i have tried searching for drivers but not able to locate them?

UPDATE:after messing around and searching i got wifi,bluetooth everything but backlight keyboard and isight to work everything else works like a charm.

so far vista while appealing and sexy i can see how easy it is to hack it. If your good in windows your a master in vista
( Last edited by Javizun; Nov 13, 2006 at 08:56 PM. )

ozbroomy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2006, 11:30 AM

I have a new macbook and loaded Vista Ultimate with Bootcamp 1.1.2. Got most things working but not the Wifi
Javizun - what did you do to get it working?? I have searched far and wide...

Javizun  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2006, 03:56 AM

extract the files from the latest bootcamp driver cd.

then either burn it or use your preferred method of transfering files over to vista. And install the drivers frim teh actual extracted drivers folder.

everything works except backlight on keyboard.

astropol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2006, 03:52 PM

Arg! So frustrating. I got Vista RC1 nicely up and running on my MacBookPro 17" but I still can't get Bluetooth, Wireless or the iSight functioning. Wireless is the crucial one for me. I've been through every blog I can find online and tried everything - unpacked all of the install drivers from the bootcamp cd, searched for drivers online, tried forcing the unknown network card to the Atheros driver. The farthest I get is that it lists it now as an Atheros card but says it's non functional - wrong driver.

I'm running Vista64 Ultimate. Does anyone have any more suggestions?

-andrew

Zubir
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2007, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by astropol View Post
Arg! So frustrating. I got Vista RC1 nicely up and running on my MacBookPro 17" but I still can't get Bluetooth, Wireless or the iSight functioning. Wireless is the crucial one for me. I've been through every blog I can find online and tried everything - unpacked all of the install drivers from the bootcamp cd, searched for drivers online, tried forcing the unknown network card to the Atheros driver. The farthest I get is that it lists it now as an Atheros card but says it's non functional - wrong driver.

I'm running Vista64 Ultimate. Does anyone have any more suggestions?

-andrew
Try running the 32 bit version.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2007, 03:15 AM

So, any other issues? Thinking of installing this on my 24" iMac? Any games not compatible with Vista?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2007, 04:36 PM

The 32-bit version works with wireless. Bluetooth may or may not work, I never checked, and iSight does NOT work. Games should work, but I had some problems with my MacBook (beta video card drivers were crashing with anything using DirectX, even the included chess game). Personally, I'll wait for Apple to officially support Vista before I upgrade from XP.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2007, 10:18 PM

OK. I am running Vista on my iMac. It sure is glossy. The translucent window-borders are even more offensive than I thought. They have some sort of static gloss that doesn't move with the window too. It's hard to describe, but it's an uneasy feeling moving windows around.

They did have a nice desktop background for me though, and the sidebar gadgets are half-decent.

Wireless works flawlessly (Windows Ultimate for X86). Got a system rating of 4.7, with graphics 5.9 on my tricked out 24" iMac which is pretty decent. Have it on a 32GB partition.

Now I'm going to test out a few games and see how that goes.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2007, 12:55 AM

Phew. I turned off the transparency and changed the theme color over to frost. Much less offensive overall. Now I just hate the button-glows and the teal-colored border in the right and bottom edges of the windows. Blech.

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2007, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Phew. I turned off the transparency and changed the theme color over to frost. Much less offensive overall. Now I just hate the button-glows and the teal-colored border in the right and bottom edges of the windows. Blech.
QQ.

Windows classic?
MBP 1.83

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2007, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by mhuie View Post
QQ.

Windows classic?
I can't decide which is less offensive

I haven't exactly used Vista much since I've installed it either, so I don't really care

Forum Links
Forum Rules