Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 reboots constantly, unless open

G4 reboots constantly, unless open
jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2005, 10:58 PM

My Quicksilver 733 has taken to rebooting constantly, like a minute after startup is complete. Because of another problem I replaced the motherboard, the power supply is new, the CPU I replaced with an OWC duaghter card that I had meant for another G4, there are two HDs, one of which worked fine in another machine, to no avail. After having installed the other HD I restarted leaving the computer open, as I wanted to finish screwing the HD enclosure down, and noticed that it worked fine, so I left it open and 12 hours later, no reboot. Fans and all are working fine, all is clean with no vent obstructions.

These are the last lines of console output, always the same after each reboot:

Apr 10 13:49:51 localhost kernel: IP firewall loaded
Apr 10 13:49:51 localhost ConsoleMessage: Starting internet services
Apr 10 13:49:51 localhost SystemStarter: Starting internet services
Apr 10 13:49:51 localhost xinetd[343]: 343 {init_services} no services. Exiting...
Apr 10 13:49:51 localhost SystemStarter: Startup complete.

1 Gig of RAM, which I tried removing, 10.3.6

Apple Hardware Test shows nothing. Permissions are repaired, DW run, fsck OK, CUDA reset, Open Firmware reset. What else is there that I am not seeing??

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2005, 11:00 PM

Maybe something is overheating.

jmiddel  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2005, 10:16 PM

Heat is what I suspected, so I observed it. Reboot at SmartReporter temp of 106.4 That is totally within normal limits. Am stumped.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2005, 10:51 PM

Spontaneous restarts is essentially synonymous with power supply problems.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

bighead
Senior User
Apr 16, 2005, 10:17 AM

I actually replaced a power supply on an MDD tower a few weeks ago, where it would lock up when opening OR closing the side door. Apparently, one of the wires in the PS bundle was bad, and it was causing the freakout. I would suggest replacing the ATA cables with some test cables and then try moving the door on its hinges while the machine is open.

It could be heat buildup, especially if it crashes when closed. Sounds weird though. Are all of the fans/blowers in the machine running OK?

Edit: replace the ATA cables just to eliminate them from the equation. They are, after all, working around the hinge too. I figured you would understand, but I always like to clarify.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2005, 08:29 AM

I vote for bad wiring or a bad cable. A short can cause the power supply to reset/voltage drop which can cause the rebooting. When you open the side, the cable is not pinched or flexed and the short is removed.

Inspect the cable for fraying or nicks in the insultation. Maybe a piece of tape is all you need?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules