Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Smart population reduction

Smart population reduction (Page 2)
BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2015, 06:49 PM

Famine is basically the only hard limiter when dealing with an "enlightened" government. It's not the actual limiter though. Realestate is.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2015, 08:09 PM

There's no way to globally enforce any solution to this problem short of developing every nation-state on the globe, enforcing a unified strategy (which means setting up a global government) and uniting all of those (still) warring countries. The scale of such a movement towards unity would be unprecedented, to the point that it's probably not practical in the near future (next couple hundred years). Otherwise, where-ever the policy is not enforced, the population in those areas will still grow unchecked until they either bend to the will of the new overseers of humanity or get obliterated.

That doesn't sound like the beginning of any dystopian future novel or anything.

We could implement those strategies in the US and West, but that would just weaken us in comparison to China and other totalitarian states that probably won't want to be told what to do.

It's the nature of our species, and I absolutely think nature is the only thing that can reduce our overpopulation. A coordinated effort on that scale, whether it be sterilization or contraception, would be mind bogglingly expensive and difficult to enforce without a military presence everywhere committed to preventing or reducing new births.

You'd also have the problem of the ruling class slipping the rules and abusing their new found global authority for their own purposes.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2015, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
How did this turn into a discussion about rape? What percent of pregnancy is a result of rape?

1 child per couple. It's really easy, the operation can be done right after the child is delivered.
I like it. Only women should be cut, not letting any Doctor around my balls.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2015, 01:22 PM

Vasectomies are easy, and pretty much painless, I've had it done twice (the reversal hurt more than getting cut) and they were no big deal.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Forum Links
Forum Rules