Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Frayed magsafe charger

Frayed magsafe charger
abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2009, 01:51 PM

I got my MacBook in August 2006 and it has performed admirably for me over the past 3.5 years. Within the past two days or so I noticed that my magsafe wasn't always charging (ie the green light illuminated, battery icon in the menubar updated to show charging). I chalked to this up to it be old and may needing some finagling every once in awhile. I woke this morning after plugging the macbook in before I went to bed and I was presented with a "Running on Reserve Battery" notification. I checked the charger and it was not lit. It was pretty hot to the touch so I flipped it over to see if the other side would give me better luck. That is when I noticed this: (sorry for the bad quality. dang Curve camera...)

so the magsafe is frayed right near the stress point. My question is this: my applecare expired in September of this year. if I take this into the Apple Store will they replace it? I am unsure if frayed chargers are something that they deal with seriously considering I remember stories of them catching fire (and the end of it was pretty hot whenever I touched it.) Think I'll be able to convince them to replace it? of course, I'd prefer not having to drop $80 on a new charger.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 23, 2009, 02:13 PM

Say "sparks", "fire" and or "heat" and you'll have a new adapter in a few minutes -- as long as there are no signs of abuse.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2009, 03:14 PM

Too bad Apple had to patent MagSafe so that we can't have a good third-party adapter that would actually have decent stress relief and thus not be as much of a fire hazard.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2009, 06:24 PM

Talk to apple. They will replace these out of warranty.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2009, 11:42 PM

Thanks a lot for the responses. I assumed that they would, just wanted to make sure before I head down to the Apple Store. good thing I am home for Thanksgiving and not still at school, where the nearest Apple Store is hours and hours away.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2009, 11:48 PM

I took mine in to Apple just because that point was *starting* to get stiff. I told them I was concerned that it was about to fray and they replaced it on the spot.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2009, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Too bad Apple had to patent MagSafe so that we can't have a good third-party adapter that would actually have decent stress relief and thus not be as much of a fire hazard.
Apple has never been good about cable stress relief. Every power adapter has had a known problem with this:

Powerbook Duo 2300 original adapter: replaced by Apple though mail-in program
Yo-Yo adapter had problems at the adapter end.
1st gen iBook adapter frayed after 3 years.
Current MagSafe design.

I really wish Apple would learn, but I suspect decent stress relief just doesn't look very elegant.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2009, 01:24 AM

Which is why I wish we could have a good third-party adapter.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

EndlessMac
Senior User
Nov 24, 2009, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Apple has never been good about cable stress relief.
That's an understatement!

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I really wish Apple would learn, but I suspect decent stress relief just doesn't look very elegant.
It's Apple once again putting looks before function. I don't know about everyone else but I don't really care too much about the look of the power cable. I can understand about people complaining about the looks of the computers themselves but the power cable? Not too many people go around showing off how fancy their power cables look. The only power cables that have ever frayed or failed on me are Apple made.

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Which is why I wish we could have a good third-party adapter.
I completely agree. If Apple wants to have it this way then they should give life time warranties for their power cables.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 24, 2009, 09:15 AM

Did those of you who went to an Apple Store to get your adapters replaced have to set up a Genius appointment first? My MBP's charger cable is kinked and starting to get more difficult to wind up, and I think it's time to get it replaced before I start having real problems with it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2009, 09:24 AM

I was in there on an appointment to get my cracked MacBook keyboard tray replaced and asked the Genius about the adapter while he was writing up the work order. For the keyboard tray, he started the work order as soon as he saw it. For the power adapter, he had to get the manager to approve (who did so without even looking at the adapter).

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2009, 06:32 PM

well they replaced it free of charge. They said I was out of warranty but that they'd replace it since it was dangerous. The guy even gave me a slightly condescending mini lesson on how to properly treat my new charger and to tiptoe around the stress point

still, nice to not have to drop $80 on a new charger

EndlessMac
Senior User
Nov 24, 2009, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
The guy even gave me a slightly condescending mini lesson on how to properly treat my new charger and to tiptoe around the stress point
That's pretty laughable. Maybe you should have gaven him a mini lesson on how Apple should make proper cords. It's nice that they did give you a new charger though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules