Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > G4 450 mhz makeover

G4 450 mhz makeover
datz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2003, 05:38 PM

hey guys, i'm new here, and i have a major question!

ok, well, my power mac G4 450 mhz is just not cuttin it anymore for games or any big programs i want to use so i was thinking, and today i thought of something.

I noticed today when i was looking at mother boards that you can buy one that already has a processor and everything(probably has been like this for a while but i haven't really shopped for major items such as a mother board )

but anyway, i was wondering if all of the other hardware and software for my current mac will be supported by pretty much any motherboard. so in other words, i love mac OS and the software, but the hardware is laggin right now and i can't afford a new mac, and i just want to know what i stated, will my other hardware (that isn't USB or FireWire, or any other generic thing)/software will work with pretty much any mother board

many thanks!

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2003, 08:00 PM

if your looking to replace the mobo in your tower w/ an intel/amd the only hardware that will work (standard) are the hardrive and DVD drive.
I don't know what your other hardware consists of, so I can't tell you about that.

not to mention no more Mac OS.

datz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2003, 08:16 PM

so the software wouldn't work?

are you sure OS X wouldn't work???

tr
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2003, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by datz:
so the software wouldn't work?

are you sure OS X wouldn't work???
could you explain CLEARLY what you want to do?

if i understand it, you want to replace your G4 450 motherboard with a newer G4 motherboard, or some other G4 motherboard? or you want to replace your G4 motherboard with PC stuff? and what other hardware/peripherals (that aren't usb or fw) do you have?

IMHO, my 450 sawtooth works great. sure, it's a little slow when it comes to mpeg 2 encoding and rendering, but that's what processor upgrades are for!

tr

TJK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2003, 02:49 AM

link

Covered decently in that post.

datz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2003, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by tr:
if i understand it, you want to replace your G4 450 motherboard with a newer G4 motherboard, or some other G4 motherboard? or you want to replace your G4 motherboard with PC stuff? and what other hardware/peripherals (that aren't usb or fw) do you have?

IMHO, my 450 sawtooth works great. sure, it's a little slow when it comes to mpeg 2 encoding and rendering, but that's what processor upgrades are for!

tr
hey man, i live in northern cincinnati, and i was wondering if you knew of any good place down here that sells parts and has REALLY good prices

Forum Links
Forum Rules