Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Re Clear OS linux like set up

Re Clear OS linux like set up
Omnios
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2011, 11:03 PM

Hi I just bought a used PPC G4 and waiting for it to get delivered. I am looking for a set up similar to the Clear OS linux set up. I do not know macs at all but generally want to do a few things with it. One is I want to get a airport card and a two or more port ethernet and set up a router station with complete control for internet access and network with a laptop and a tower in the future. I also want to set up a home file server and possibly web server. Not sure if this can be done with mac os or a linux set up. I have been using Ubuntu. Thinking of using linux a branch version of arch looks interesting as I have used Arch before and its minimalist install. Thinking of running it headless after playing with mac os for a bit.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2011, 01:17 AM

You can do that with an OS X Mac using ipfw for your routing, Apache, and AFP/Samba/SSHfs for your file sharing in OS X. However, OS X is a bulky OS and you'll have to stick with Leopard (and not Snow Leopard or Lion) with your G4.

Unfortunately, last I checked not many Linux distros offer a PowerPC option that is kept in parity with their x86 version and is well supported.

Forum Links
Forum Rules