Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Michigan readers - where are you?

Michigan readers - where are you?
version
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2006, 02:43 PM

I've got a friend who lives in Grand Blanc. I can never figure out the timezone thing, so can anyone please tell me what's the nearest city to Grand Blanc (same time zone)? I'm using the word clock dashboard widget, but don't know what city to use.

Cheers
A Jew with a view.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 17, 2006, 02:50 PM

Detroit or Lansing are both in the same time zone as Grand Blanc.

I am only 20 miles directly West of Grand Blanc.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 17, 2006, 02:51 PM

Or, if Flint is in the World Clock widget you might want to try that. Grand Blanc is essentially a suburb of Flint.

version  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2006, 02:54 PM

Thank you, Railroader. Detroit is in world clock, that's me sorted. I know she lives near Flint, but I'm always forgetting the exact time difference.

Cheers, my friend.
A Jew with a view.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 17, 2006, 03:24 PM

You're welcome.

version  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2006, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
You're welcome.

I'm going to visiting Michigan soon. Not been to the States for a few years, should be fun.

Thank you.
A Jew with a view.

ambush
Banned
Apr 17, 2006, 04:15 PM

Be careful if you're going to Flint, MI.

According to the FBI, Flint has one of the highest crime rates in Michigan (5538 incidents/100,000 residents), and in 2004 the second highest violent crime rate in the United States. Flint was recently named as the fourth most dangerous city in the United States in an evaluation by Morgan Quitno Press.
Or Detroit, MI.

Despite improvement thoughout recent years, Detroit's crime figures are often among the highest in the U.S. The city is currently listed as the most dangerous city with more than 500,000 by the Morgan Quitno's statistics,[35] but comes after Camden, New Jersey. Detroit is consistently in the top five for homicide rates, and was third in 2004, with a murder rate of 42.1 per 100,000. Detroit murders peaked at 714 in 1974, though the highest murder rate was recorded in 1991, when there were 615 homicides and the city's population was just over a million. This factored into a rate of around 60 murders per 100,000. Preceding murder totals are 395 in 2000, 396 in 2001, 402 in 2002, 361 (which was the lowest count in recent years) in 2003, and a slight jump to 384 in 2004. Many of these problems are blamed on the widespread middle-class flight (which has contributed greatly to urban decay), poverty, de facto segregation of the region, and unemployment. In 2005, there were 374 murders in Detroit.[36]
Lots of violence it seems

version  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2006, 04:43 PM

ambush - ouch. Mind you, I come from the 1st world's most violent city Glasgow, Scotland (according to the UN) lol.
A Jew with a view.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 17, 2006, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by ambush
Be careful if you're going to Flint, MI.

Or Detroit, MI.

Lots of violence it seems
"I'm so tough I vacation in Flint" used to be a popular t-shirt around here.

Are you afraid ambush?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2006, 05:22 PM

Yeah. The criminals in Flint and Detroit will be able to nab you right from the freeway.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Railroader
Banned
Apr 17, 2006, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by version
I'm going to visiting Michigan soon. Not been to the States for a few years, should be fun.

Thank you.
There are some awesome parts of the state. Are you going to be visiting your friends in Grand Blanc? There are some very good resorts in the Northern part of the state and there's quite a art community up there as well. If you like Boating or fresh water swimming you'd be hard pressed to find a better state to visit. But if you're here for the water, I gotta warn you, we have a short season for that. About 3 months. Then, it's back to winter.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 17, 2006, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
Yeah. The criminals in Flint and Detroit will be able to nab you right from the freeway.
Pedal to the metal all the way babeeeee!!!!

Flint is a lot smaller than people think. So is Detroit. But they do have some very intense crime for such a condensed area. I have never had a problem in Flint and I worked in the city for 9 years. In Detroit I have only had a car window broken. They didn't even steal my radio. They must have been very disappointed as I had nothing to steal in the car.

version  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2006, 06:00 PM

There are some awesome parts of the state. Are you going to be visiting your friends in Grand Blanc? There are some very good resorts in the Northern part of the state and there's quite a art community up there as well. If you like Boating or fresh water swimming you'd be hard pressed to find a better state to visit. But if you're here for the water, I gotta warn you, we have a short season for that. About 3 months. Then, it's back to winter.

Yeah, going to Grand Blanc (where she is), but I'd love to see as much of Michigan as possible. She's from Flint originally, so hopefully knows where to take me. The water season sounds cool, but knowing my luck I'll miss it. She has some time off from college. so we can relax a bit and hopefully tour as much of the state.

I've never been to the mid-west (not sure if Chicago counts), but it's been a dream to see as much of the area as possible.

I am looking forward to trying out some beer drinking places, the general sites and everything else!

Cheers!
A Jew with a view.

version  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2006, 06:06 PM

You know what's funny? Last year I was joking around with my mate, and said her state looked like a mitten, I took it from your location, railroader, she was laughing.

If we come by your town, I'd certainly take you out for a drink.
A Jew with a view.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2006, 06:28 PM

I am looking forward to trying out some beer drinking places, the general sites and everything else!
They call them bars or pubs. Don't forget to get some Bell's Oberon while you're up there.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2006, 06:33 PM

Don't set your hopes too high on that, I have found much better pubs in Europe than here in the US. Not to mention the water they sell here, labeled as beer...

-t

version  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2006, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
Don't set your hopes too high on that, I have found much better pubs in Europe than here in the US. Not to mention the water they sell here, labeled as beer...

-t

Yeah, but I'm used to European beers, etc, so a wee change might be in order. Still... if it's awful, I'll turn my wines and spirits how are they over there?
A Jew with a view.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2006, 06:48 PM

Yeah, but I'm used to European beers, etc, so a wee change might be in order. Still... if it's awful, I'll turn my wines and spirits how are they over there?
Wines are quite good. Much better than the beer. I like Californian Cabernets and Zinfandels.
Spirits - mixed bag.
Being from Scotland, I doubt you'll like American Whiskeys. Stick to Tequila. Cocktail-wise, the selection is limited compared to Europe. Loads of Margaritas, Daiquiris and the very standards, but not the variety you might be used to. Still, I'm sure you'll find a way to get drunk

-t

ambush
Banned
Apr 17, 2006, 06:56 PM

"I'm so tough I vacation in Flint" used to be a popular t-shirt around here.

Are you afraid ambush?
No, I livve several hundred miles away from your city.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 17, 2006, 07:43 PM

As with just about any other city, you can easily avoid the "bad" parts of places like Detroit and Flint by observing your surroundings and thinking before you park. My mother NEVER worried about walking around in Detroit. She said "they're not going to take my city away from me." Of course Detroit covers a lot of ground, and there are good parts and not so good parts... Mom liked downtown a lot and worked there for almost 20 years.

Anyway, enjoy your visit. I haven't been back to Michigan for quite a while; New Years 2002 I think...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Railroader
Banned
Apr 18, 2006, 12:22 AM

-t
Are you kidding?!?

I think most European beers are bland and boring (Belgian beer is a HUGE exception) compared to the beer coming out of newer brewery around here! The various beer styles and creations are amazing and blow away any European (Belgian exception) creations. Even Canada has some excellent brews these days.

You must not have been here in a LONG time.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 18, 2006, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by ambush
No, I livve several hundred miles away from your city.
*sigh* give up boy.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 18, 2006, 12:25 AM

1) You know what's funny? Last year I was joking around with my mate, and said her state looked like a mitten, I took it from your location, railroader, she was laughing.

2) If we come by your town, I'd certainly take you out for a drink.
1) Excellent! It's something we learn in pre-school around here.

2) I am going to hold you to that! There is an EXCELLENT brewery in Grand Blanc called the Redwood Lodge. Very good beers! Let me know when you're going to be here!

Railroader
Banned
Apr 18, 2006, 12:28 AM

Wines are quite good. Much better than the beer. I like Californian Cabernets and Zinfandels.
Spirits - mixed bag.
Being from Scotland, I doubt you'll like American Whiskeys. Stick to Tequila. Cocktail-wise, the selection is limited compared to Europe. Loads of Margaritas, Daiquiris and the very standards, but not the variety you might be used to. Still, I'm sure you'll find a way to get drunk

-t
What did you go to? An Applebees or a T.G.I.Fridays? Seriously, you sound like you know NOTHING about the USA.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2006, 12:28 AM

You must not have been here in a LONG time.
Dude, I don't know what you mean by "here", but I grew up in Bavaria, and have been living in the US the last four years . It's like night and day, even when taking into account the countless micro breweries springing up in the recent years.

Let me tell you: You have NO idea about what beer can taste. Forget the Belgium horsepiss. If you want the real thing, Bavaria and Czech Republic are your #1 place to go to. The thing is: the best European beers you don't even get here in the US. They often export a watered down version. E.g., Münchner Löwenbräu, they have a special Export Lager, which is weaker than what they sell in Bavaria.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2006, 12:32 AM

What did you go to? An Applebees or a T.G.I.Fridays? Seriously, you sound like you know NOTHING about the USA.
Don't make a fool out of yourself. Have you ever lived in Europe ? So how do you think you can compare ?

-t

Railroader
Banned
Apr 18, 2006, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by rozwado1
They call them bars or pubs. Don't forget to get some Bell's Oberon while you're up there.

Excellent advice. I'd also recommend the Amber Ale from Bell's as well.

and the Two-Hearted Ale, for a malty, heavily hopped brew.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 18, 2006, 12:38 AM

Dude, I don't know what you mean by "here", but I grew up in Bavaria, and have been living in the US the last four years . It's like night and day, even when taking into account the countless micro breweries springing up in the recent years.

Let me tell you: You have NO idea about what beer can taste. Forget the Belgium horsepiss. If you want the real thing, Bavaria and Czech Republic are your #1 place to go to. The thing is: the best European beers you don't even get here in the US. They often export a watered down version. E.g., Münchner Löwenbräu, they have a special Export Lager, which is weaker than what they sell in Bavaria.

-t
Sorry, I don't like pilsners. Bland, poorly hopped, weak, and unimaginative.

I regularly drink at a place that imports beers not normally imported the the US and I've tried them all wondering what the fascination was. I've always walked away unimpressed.

"Belgium horsepiss"?!? Hmmm... now you've truly made yourself look like a fool.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 18, 2006, 12:39 AM

Don't make a fool out of yourself. Have you ever lived in Europe ? So how do you think you can compare ?

-t
What have you had beyond Bud/Miller/Coors in the US? And to say "Cocktail-wise, the selection is limited compared to Europe. Loads of Margaritas, Daiquiris and the very standard" is just showing your true ignorance. Like I said, you must be a regular at Applebees. Do you like their "flair"?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2006, 12:52 AM

I regularly drink at a place that imports beers ...
Ah, whatever. You are right, American beer is da shizznit, what would I know, who has been living here and in Europe, compared to someone like you, who goes to a place that imports beers. LOL.

-t

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2006, 12:53 AM

-t
Czech beers are bloody good.

therubberduckie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2006, 01:08 AM

I'm a d!chead and a stoolpigeon. Awesome!
Go away amigo.

version  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2006, 06:09 AM

2) I am going to hold you to that! There is an EXCELLENT brewery in Grand Blanc called the Redwood Lodge. Very good beers! Let me know when you're going to be here!

Thanks for the link. I'll definitely give you a shout once I'm there, be cool to grab a drink, hear about the area.. and sample the beers.

Look forward to it, should be there late summer.
( Last edited by version; Apr 18, 2006 at 06:28 AM. )
A Jew with a view.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2006, 06:52 AM

Sorry, I don't like pilsners. Bland, poorly hopped, weak, and unimaginative.

I regularly drink at a place that imports beers not normally imported the the US and I've tried them all wondering what the fascination was. I've always walked away unimpressed.

"Belgium horsepiss"?!? Hmmm... now you've truly made yourself look like a fool.

Just because you don't like them doesn't mean Pilseners are bad beers. Some of the Czech and German Pilseners are truly wonderful.
And a lot of the Belgium stuff is indeed rubbish. Poorly brewed and then laced with sugar and flavours to disguise that fact. Why? Because they can't make it properly in the quantities they can sell it at and so many breweries have started to cut corners. Come to Europe and try some of the local beers you can get there before making judgements about stuff you clearly know little about.

Some of the micro brewed beer in the US is now excellent, which is a good thing and about time.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 18, 2006, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
Just because you don't like them doesn't mean Pilseners are bad beers. Some of the Czech and German Pilseners are truly wonderful.
And a lot of the Belgium stuff is indeed rubbish. Poorly brewed and then laced with sugar and flavours to disguise that fact. Why? Because they can't make it properly in the quantities they can sell it at and so many breweries have started to cut corners. Come to Europe and try some of the local beers you can get there before making judgements about stuff you clearly know little about.
I didn't say they were bad. I said I didn't like them. I said they were bland. I have had beer that was direct from the brewery and air shipped directly to the tavern. It's a place called the Stein House that specializing in catering to a VERY german crowd that is picky about it's beer and willing to pay extraordinarily large sums of money for the pleasure in the USA.

Belgian breweries have been using sugar for centuries. It's part of their style. Surely you know that right? Have you ever made beer? I have, for the last 10+ years.
Some of the micro brewed beer in the US is now excellent, which is a good thing and about time.
That is my point. What_the_heck claims "Not to mention the water they sell here, labeled as beer...". That is just plain ignorance. That is how this whole conversation started.
Originally Posted by Bowling Cones
Go away amigo.
I see my stalker is back. Reported.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 18, 2006, 08:57 AM

I didn't say they were bad. I said I didn't like them. I said they were bland. I have had beer that was direct from the brewery and air shipped directly to the tavern. It's a place called the Stein House that specializing in catering to a VERY german crowd that is picky about it's beer and willing to pay extraordinarily large sums of money for the pleasure in the USA.

Belgian breweries have been using sugar for centuries. It's part of their style. Surely you know that right? Have you ever made beer? I have, for the last 10+ years.
That is my point. What_the_heck claims "Not to mention the water they sell here, labeled as beer...". That is just plain ignorance. That is how this whole conversation started.
Originally Posted by Bowling Cones
Go away amigo.
EDIT: I got a PM in the middle of writing this reply. My stalker is banned again!
I see my stalker is back. Reported.

ambush
Banned
Apr 18, 2006, 09:01 AM

Rolling Bones is a cool guy

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2006, 09:03 AM

Yes, but they've also used real fruit, laying it down properly to let it mature and ripen. A lot of the stuff now sold in fancy bottles with "Belgian' names is brewed in a hurry, laced with flavourings and refined sugar, then sold to people who don't know any better.

I am not saying that you're one of them, I'm just saying that's what is happening.

To be truthful, I probably feel about most Belgian beers the way you feel about Pilseners. For me a beer needs to be fresh and with a hoppy body. I like a trace of bitterness in my beers.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 18, 2006, 09:29 AM

Yes, but they've also used real fruit, laying it down properly to let it mature and ripen. A lot of the stuff now sold in fancy bottles with "Belgian' names is brewed in a hurry, laced with flavourings and refined sugar, then sold to people who don't know any better.

I am not saying that you're one of them, I'm just saying that's what is happening.

To be truthful, I probably feel about most Belgian beers the way you feel about Pilseners. For me a beer needs to be fresh and with a hoppy body. I like a trace of bitterness in my beers.
You're talking about Lambics. There are more than a few different styles of beer in Belgium.

I have no problem with you not liking Lambics. Beer can be sweet, bitter, nutty, caramelly (?), malty, fruity, bland, or strong. There's probably more I don't like than what I do like. Actually, I should use the phrase: There's certainly beers I prefer over others I an not a huge fan of.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2006, 10:11 AM

Hey version,

Until very recently, I lived in the Metro-Detroit area for 37 years. When I get home from work tonight, I can provide some interesting places to visit.

How long do you plan on visiting?

cheers...
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2006, 10:16 AM

michigan is rad. be scared of detroit and flint, it will keep you from coming here. the people that live in those cities are as proud as a person can be, because they have been through **** that SHOULD have destroyed their cities by now. theres that certain something keeping it all together, the people that live there certainly know what it is. detroit finally seems to be in the midst of their renaissance. businesses and restaurants are opening up all up and down the main strip, but it could be better. it certainly seems to be on an upward swing.

we have excellent bars and restaurant and excellent local beers in general in michigan. i've had my share of european beers (including some local german ones), and they just dont compare IMO, but theres a lot more beers than i tried for sure, so this isnt a blanket statement. like railroader has said, the belgian stuff is special. delirium, duvel and la chouffe come to mind.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2006, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by scottiB
Hey version,

Until very recently, I lived in the Metro-Detroit area for 37 years. When I get home from work tonight, I can provide some interesting places to visit.

cheers...
where'd you run off to?

scottiB
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2006, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by scaught
where'd you run off to?
I'm a Marylander(?) now. My wife got a teaching gig in D.C., and divorce wasn't an option---though with missing the Wings and the Pistons on a nightly basis--it did cross my mind...
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2006, 11:01 AM

D.C. is super cool. a change of scenery is nice. you'll be back. they always come back

version  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2006, 11:51 AM

Hey version,

cheers...

Hey scottiB!

That'd be really good of you if you could. Browsing the web for ideas can be ok, but sometimes need more personal suggestions. Also, my friend in Grand Blanc isn't originally from there, so probably doesn't know of the more hidden/cooler places to go to.

I'm probably going to be there for about two months, should be a good piece of time to see quite a bit.

Cheers!
A Jew with a view.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2006, 09:43 PM

I'm a Marylander(?) now. My wife got a teaching gig in D.C., and divorce wasn't an option---though with missing the Wings and the Pistons on a nightly basis--it did cross my mind...
that's what the NHL season ticket is for...

As far as Michigan is concerned, it's got his good sides and not so good. Detroit was my first american experience (did I say cultural shock). I stayed downtown Detroit 2 years and survived it. Once you know the city, you know where to go and how to appreciate the place (and then there are those Wings!!).
Da UP is wonderful.
There is an amazing cheese/gourmet store in Ann Arbor which allows cheese lovers to survive an extended stay in the area.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2006, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by villalobos
that's what the NHL season ticket is for...

As far as Michigan is concerned, it's got his good sides and not so good. Detroit was my first american experience (did I say cultural shock). I stayed downtown Detroit 2 years and survived it. Once you know the city, you know where to go and how to appreciate the place (and then there are those Wings!!).
Da UP is wonderful.
There is an amazing cheese/gourmet store in Ann Arbor which allows cheese lovers to survive an extended stay in the area.
big ten or zingermans (frequently ranked as one of the best delis in the WORLD, yes including NY delis)? you've got choices.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 18, 2006, 10:53 PM

The Majestic Club and The Pump are excellent places to have a meal and enjoy good beer in Detroit. The club "NV" is a great place to see the ladies dancing and possibly catch a few local pro athletes hanging out.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2006, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by scaught
big ten or zingermans (frequently ranked as one of the best delis in the WORLD, yes including NY delis)? you've got choices.
zingerman's. Going there once in a while was like a pilgrimage.

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 19, 2006, 12:38 AM

Michigan is a great state to visit. I've lived there for 20 years (at school in Indiana now, sadly) and it's always nice to go back. The beaches are beautiful, the local beer is great, and the people are generally pretty nice.

If you're in West Michigan, definetly head to downtown Grand Rapids and check out the resturants and bars. The museums are great, there are free concerts all summer, and the nightlife is fun and safe.

Hit me up if you're going to be in the Grand Rapids area and I'll take you out for a beer

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

Forum Links
Forum Rules