Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What are your peeves

What are your peeves (Page 2)
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 06:30 PM

people who use just nickles to pay for a $1.25 soda in a vending machine (just happened to me, and it was annoying)
ps.
thank you monique for making this thread so i can vent

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 07:24 PM

In no particular order:

Tailgating.
Being rude to sales people/cashiers/waiters. (Have a beef? Talk to the manager, not the staff.)
Bad table manners.
Yelling at the news. (Shut up! I'm trying to listen to the news, not you.)
Cars that go THUMP! THUMP! THUMP! THUMP!
Bothering the teachers after class instead of asking questions during class.
Listening to other couples nag and bicker in public. Do that at home.

Random computing peeves:
The CAPSLOCK key.
Fn-DELETE? Why not SHIFT-DELETE, so I can do it with one hand?
ENTER? Why not OPTION? Better yet, make ENTER or OPTION an option?
The locations for +-/*= all completely suck on a laptop.
Double-click is awesome. Why no double-click for the other mouse buttons?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by nredman
women who wear tight shirts and show lots of cleavage but get mad when you stare
Nobody likes to be stared at.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna
Nobody likes to be stared at.

went right over your head didn't it?
*chirp chirp*
that's what i thought

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2006, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
went right over your head didn't it?
*chirp chirp*
that's what i thought
I have no idea if he was kidding, that's what is for. But I hear men say this for real often enough. Given how low-brow this forum usually is, I pretty much expect that he was serious. How do you know he wasn't?

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 08:10 PM

Oooo, another pet peeve. The way SWG always trolls gossemer!

malvolio
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 10:09 PM

People who use "and" when they mean "an". Freaking think about the meaning of your phrases, dolts!!!
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

greenamp
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma::
If I bothered to make a list of all my peeves, it wouldn't fit on the Internet.
Same. I'm a peevie kinda guy too.

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2006, 11:53 PM

People Who Drive Really Slow.
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 11:58 PM

Oh! Ugly sigs on message boards!
And those retarded videos people throw all over their myspaces and... myspace in general...

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2006, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Googer-Giger
People Who Drive Really Slow.

Monique  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 11:02 AM

I agree with a lot of you.

But one post attract my attention about young beautiful girls that wear tight outfits, from 13 to 30 and are surprised that they would get stared at or raped.

If you do not want to sell the merchandize do not display it so much. Respect yourself and men will respect you. Showing it off is not a mark of respect you just want to attract the wrong kind of attention. Those girls do not have to dress like nuns but they do not have to dress like hores either.

And also 20's something that refuse to learn from life thinking they know it all. In my 40's I can tell you young folks that I still have a lot to learn.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Aug 2, 2006, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Monique
I agree with a lot of you.

But one post attract my attention about young beautiful girls that wear tight outfits, from 13 to 30 and are surprised that they would get stared at or raped.

If you do not want to sell the merchandize do not display it so much. Respect yourself and men will respect you. Showing it off is not a mark of respect you just want to attract the wrong kind of attention. Those girls do not have to dress like nuns but they do not have to dress like hores either.

So if woman all wore potato sacks there would be no more rapes?

"Hello, what have we here?

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 11:10 AM

That coming from a woman is almost inexcusable. I suggest you reconsider your views here.

NOBODY deserves to get raped. Even if they'd walk around nekkid.

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on givingâ€Ĥ

Monique  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 11:25 AM

It is true that most rapes are about violence. But, when you wear a tight outfit and you find willingly in a hotel room with a drunken guy; what do you think he wants to do, have sex even if that girl dressed like a hore decides not to. If you do not want to have sex, well do not dress like a hore (which most girls do nowadays), and do not go to a room with a sex starved guy (which are most guys).

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2006, 11:54 AM

The word is "whore"

Another thing that bugs me is the stereotyping of gender, or race. It bothers me that because I'm white I'm inherently oppressive, or that I'm somehow responsible for someone else's lot life. Not because I actually did anything, but because the color of my skin is different than their's, or I have an X and a Y chromosome, rather than two X's
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2006, 02:38 PM

It is true that most rapes are about violence. But, when you wear a tight outfit and you find willingly in a hotel room with a drunken guy; what do you think he wants to do, have sex even if that girl dressed like a hore decides not to. If you do not want to have sex, well do not dress like a hore (which most girls do nowadays), and do not go to a room with a sex starved guy (which are most guys).
The causes of rape are in the minds of men, not in the way women dress.

Monique  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 02:48 PM

The causes of rape are in the minds of men, not in the way women dress.
Are you saying that it is ok for a girl to dress in a very short skirt, a very tight top where you can see her breast, then go alone with a guy in a bedroom, rub herself against him, then say sorry I just wanted to tease you.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2006, 02:55 PM

Are you saying that it is ok for a girl to dress in a very short skirt, a very tight top where you can see her breast, then go alone with a guy in a bedroom, rub herself against him, then say sorry I just wanted to tease you.
No. But the way she dresses is one thing, the way she acts is another.

But even when a woman acts like a tease, she still has a right to say no. And she still has a right not to be treated like "she had it coming."

Monique  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 02:59 PM

No. But the way she dresses is one thing, the way she acts is another.

But even when a woman acts like a tease, she still has a right to say no. And she still has a right not to be treated like "she had it coming."
But, why put yourself in a situation that you might get raped, even though rape is about violence, it has a sexual connection and it is very dangerous to act like a whore even if you are not. It is disgusting that a girl dressing a tramp rubbing herself against a man then goes around and say no.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 03:57 PM

If you do not want to have sex, well do not dress like a hore (which most girls do nowadays)â€Ĥ

Seek help. NOW.

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on givingâ€Ĥ

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2006, 04:21 PM

Are you smoking crack? No, seriously, are you smoking crack??

First of all, how a person dresses (which is what the original argument was about) has NO BEARING on whether or not that person "wants" to get raped. Nor does it have any bearing on whether that person SHOULD get raped or not. That sort of thinking is disgusting.

Then you throw in the very situational part of your argument. "then go alone with a guy in a bedroom, rub herself against him...etc etc" Where did this crap come from? Where do YOU come from? Because wherever it is, apparently rape is justifiable in certain cases.

Lets get this straight:

RAPE IS NEVER JUSTIFIED.

There is no argument to that.

Are there women out there who will have sex with a man, and then turn around and lie and say they didn't want to? Of course. But if the woman says "no" at any point, and the man forces himself upon her, its rape. Even if she's rubbing up against him while wearing a mini-skirt and showing some cleavage.

By your argument, I could go to my local strip joint, get lap dance and proceed to go ahead and rape the dancer. Because hey, she was naked, rubbin up against my junk, and talkin dirty and all that.

(I can't believe this needs to be explained to someone, especially a woman.)

Monique  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma::
Are you smoking crack? No, seriously, are you smoking crack??

First of all, how a person dresses (which is what the original argument was about) has NO BEARING on whether or not that person "wants" to get raped. Nor does it have any bearing on whether that person SHOULD get raped or not. That sort of thinking is disgusting.

Then you throw in the very situational part of your argument. "then go alone with a guy in a bedroom, rub herself against him...etc etc" Where did this crap come from? Where do YOU come from? Because wherever it is, apparently rape is justifiable in certain cases.

Lets get this straight:

RAPE IS NEVER JUSTIFIED.

There is no argument to that.

Are there women out there who will have sex with a man, and then turn around and lie and say they didn't want to? Of course. But if the woman says "no" at any point, and the man forces himself upon her, its rape. Even if she's rubbing up against him while wearing a mini-skirt and showing some cleavage.

By your argument, I could go to my local strip joint, get lap dance and proceed to go ahead and rape the dancer. Because hey, she was naked, rubbin up against my junk, and talkin dirty and all that.

(I can't believe this needs to be explained to someone, especially a woman.)
Let's see you have a girl rubbing herself against you in your bedroom would you assume that she wants to have sex. Yes or no?

Then she does that to you every day and always say no?

Is that alright with you?

We put on seatbelts, because it is a protection, we follow speed limits because it protects us, we do the same with the children because if we have to stop short we do not want them to get hurt.

We don't drink amonia because it is poison.

There are a thousand things we do in life because they make sense and protect us.

So, why would you go in a room with a guy not knowing if he will rape you or not and act like you want to have sex then say no.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2006, 05:33 PM

Let's see you have a girl rubbing herself against you in your bedroom would you assume that she wants to have sex. Yes or no?

We put on seatbelts, because it is a protection, we follow speed limits because it protects us, we do the same with the children because if we have to stop short we do not want them to get hurt.

There are a thousand things we do in life because they make sense and protect us.

So, why would you go in a room with a guy not knowing if he will rape you or not and act like you want to have sex then say no.
Oh, so now its rubbing up against the guy every night, always saying no? Do you always make up ridiculous situations to justify your opinions?

"Let's see you have a girl rubbing herself against you in your bedroom would you assume that she wants to have sex. Yes or no?"

ASSUME? So whether or not a woman wants to have sex is based on ASSUMPTIONS??

WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH YOU??

I think you'd be happier living under the Taliban, where women can't show an inch of skin in public. I mean hey, its for their protection, right? Hell, if a man were to see the kneecap of a woman, he might get a big fat woody and assume that the woman wants to jump his bones. Better keep that kneecap covered up! For your protection!

Wake up Monique. Get it through your head that it doesn't matter what a woman wears, or how often she rubs up against a man, forcing sex on someone without their SPECIFIC consent is rape. Period.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 06:13 PM

hmm ok, let me interject one of my pet peeves before this thread gets flamboozled.

I really cannot stand when people say "I could care less".
THE PHRASE IS "I couldn't care less"! think about what you are saying!

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2006, 06:16 PM

I always looked at "I could care less" as being worse than "I couldn't care less" because Your caring is a meditated action that you're choosing not to do because what your caring about has so little importance to you, whereas "I couldn't" would mean that you were just not capable. If you were capable, then perhaps you would care less.

That said, it used to bug me too.
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 06:23 PM

Male singers with high voices is another one. like James Blunt and some others

Rumor
Aug 2, 2006, 07:00 PM

Just because a woman is in your bedroom or bed, does not mean she wants to have sex. I had women in my bed where it got "interesting" yet never went all the way.

For the record, scantly clad women are usually much worse in bed than those that dress nice.

Monique, I'm going to try to not make this sound like a personal attack, but you seem to bring up topics that are way out in left field. You took someone's post about a scantly clad woman getting annoyed because someone is looking at her chest to rape. Two completely different topics.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Rumor
Aug 2, 2006, 09:43 PM

People that, while in traffic, try to make it through the intersection before the light turns red and get stuck in the intersection. I saw this happen today. Where this particular light is, you can see the next light and know if it's red. Which it was, yet the dumbass did it anyways. There was even a cop that saw it, and didn't do anything about it.

Also, people that come to a complete stop to make a right turn drive me crazy,

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2006, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor
Also, people that come to a complete stop to make a right turn drive me crazy,
Yeah, Heaven forbid they should follow the law...

I don't know what it's like where you are, but In the few states I've lived in, stopping at red light to turn right is required.
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 10:03 PM

he never said at a red light.

there are a ton of things that annoy me when driving. people who tailgate me and here is the big one:

I'm at a stop sign at a T intersection trying to turn left and someone is coming from the left. a car is coming from the right but it's kind of far away. the person from the left DOES NOT USE THEIR TURN SIGNAL (which if they did means I could have turned left no problem before the car from the right came) and turns onto my street. this means I'm stuck at the sign and have to wait for the car from the right to pass for me to turn left.
kind of hard to explain but it really reall irks me.

Rumor
Aug 2, 2006, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor
Yeah, Heaven forbid they should follow the law...

I don't know what it's like where you are, but In the few states I've lived in, stopping at red light to turn right is required.
I didn't mention a red light or stop sign.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2006, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by rumor
I didn't mention a red light or stop sign.
Sorry, my mis-interpretation....

I can see why that would bother you...
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2006, 12:19 AM

I'll throw in some traffic-related peeves:
Brand elitism; this has been mentioned once but it bugs me too. Someone saying Ford, Chevy, Honda, domestics, imports, etc. are always better is dumb
Ricers; your car was designed as an economy car, not a race car. Want to be cool? Buy a race car. Want to look like a tard? Mod your economy car.
At a 4 way stop, when someone is on a perpendicular road and gets there before me, then sits there and waits until I reach my stop sign and come to a full and complete stop before going, meaning I now have to sit and wait for them to get through the intersection. It doesn't waste more than 5 or 10 seconds, but it's just irritating.

Rumor
Aug 3, 2006, 12:49 AM

Gossamer, define "ricer".

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2006, 04:49 PM

the huge, maybe 1-1.5 foot spoilers people put on their crap subarus/hondas/scions

also: hood scoops on cars. they really, really are not necessary and look incredibly stupid to me.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2006, 04:55 PM

Gossamer, define "ricer".
He means Asians. Nice huh?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2006, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
I did nicely ask you to quit projecting hate into my posts, and I will repeat that request here.

The very first result in Google for 'ricer' says this:
ricer
A person who makes unecessary modifications to their most often import car (hence the term "rice") to make it (mostly make it look) faster. The most common modifications are (but not limited to):

- Huge exhaust that serves no purpose but to make the car louder
- Large spoiler on the back that looks like something Boeing made for the 747
- Lots of after-market company stickers they don't have parts from, but must be cool
- Expensive rims that usually cost more than the car itself
- Bodykit to make the car appear lower, usually accented with chicken wire
- Clear tail lights and corner signals
- A "performace intake"- a tube that feeds cold air to their engine usually located in areas of excessive heat (behind or on top of the engine)

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2006, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
I did nicely ask you to quit projecting hate into my posts, and I will repeat that request here.

The very first result in Google for 'ricer' says this:
From the same page:

Ricer
"Any oriental import car that has been modified for no real performance gain"

Which is the one that you used with a capital R.

Plus from Wiki:
"In some circles, or even entire regions of the U.S., the term rice car is used exclusively to describe Asian-made vehicles, modified or not."

Rumor
Aug 3, 2006, 05:28 PM

Plus from Wiki:
"In some circles, or even entire regions of the U.S., the term rice car is used exclusively to describe Asian-made vehicles, modified or not."
That's why I asked. I drive a Mazda, which is classified as a roadster/sports car.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2006, 05:38 PM

From the same page:

Ricer
"Any oriental import car that has been modified for no real performance gain"

Which is the one that you used with a capital R.

Plus from Wiki:
I've asked you to quit twice, but you continue.

-You claimed I meant 'Asians.' Saying 'Asians' would seem to any innocent bystander to hint at the people group, not a group of cars, so that is how I took what you said.

-I capitalized 'Ricer' because it was the first word in the line, not because I was referring to a web page that I would visit 17 hours in the future.

-All of those entries still refer to cars, not the people group, as was heavily implied by your post. Neither Google web nor image search have any type of car on the first page when searching for 'asian,' so I can safely assume that you weren't referring to 'Asian cars.'

To be clear: I dislike useless modifications to cars with the idea that they are somehow super cool or fast. I have nothing against the people group.

Are you sleepy now?

Rumor
Aug 3, 2006, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
To be clear: I dislike useless modifications to cars with the idea that they are somehow super cool or fast. I have nothing against the people group.
Something like this?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2006, 06:06 PM

Maybe next time you could avoid shoving words in people's mouths?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2006, 06:09 PM

As mentioned above, I freakin hate it when people don't signal.

Hmm version I wonder why you got banned?

Rumor
Aug 3, 2006, 06:11 PM

Put the crack pipe down Version.

People who stop to turn right when the right arrow is green. That gets me too.

version
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2006, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
As mentioned above, I freakin hate it when people don't signal.

Hmm version I wonder why you got banned?

think it was a few years ago; but i basically called vmarks (the moderator0 a fooking arsehole, as well simey).

guess forgiveness isn't a jewish thing xxxx
A Jew with a view.

version
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2006, 06:12 PM

Put the crack pipe down Version.

People who stop to turn right when the right arrow is green. That gets me too.

shoosh!!!! i'm drinking wine!!!!
A Jew with a view.

Rumor
Aug 3, 2006, 06:13 PM

That would explain it.

version
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2006, 06:16 PM

That would explain it.

Ahhhh, but it';s lovely Calif. wine 3 bottles and I'm fooking fugered. lol
A Jew with a view.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2006, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by version
Israelies, (i'm banned from the poli. lounge). Fuukin right-wing, pro-Israelie jews, areseeholes and cuunts of the earth.!
reported

Forum Links
Forum Rules