Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > IE5, CSS, Epson SC740 printer...

IE5, CSS, Epson SC740 printer...
Alex Plooy
Mar 27, 2000, 07:08 PM

Wierd things are happening on my home page at http://homepage.mac.com/AlexPlooy/ - I used CSS to change the font size of the left-border menu items, but it screws up text in the second body text paragraph for no real reason I can see. However, after mousing over a few of the menu items (say about 5 times) the body text 'settles down' and displays correctly! My subpages also seem to share this anomaly with no real rhyme nor reason. Is it just me (e.g. do I need a DOCTYPE tag or something simple I've overlooked) or is this screwy for another reason (or anyone else)?

Also, IE5's 'print preview' feature does not seem to match the output of my Epson Stylus Color 740 printer, and changing any of the sizing settings therein (+ or - buttons, Shrink/Crop/Print Wide Pages) renders the browser window incorrectly when the preview dialog closes - a refresh is required to draw the page correctly (again with the CSS thing happening above). Anyone else finding this?

These issues notwithstanding, I'm very impressed with the 'feel' of IE5 - noticeably faster on my Rev.A iMac, and I actually like being able to 'tab' into anything clickable. If I can get my above issues sorted out, I'm switching my default browser from Navigator 4 - and Mozilla will really have to impress me to make me switch back...! (How hard can it be to implement 'good' menus and proportional scrollbars anyway?! hehehe)

I guess I have two minor requests for the future (IE5.01 maybe?!) - I wish that images would display a help balloon or (dare I say) ToolTip with the ALT attribute and not just the TITLE attribute in the IMG tag... they seem to do so when the page is being drawn (while images are being loaded) but you can see the ALT text in the placeholder then anyway. And I also wish that IE5 would reveal more text in the window title bar than it does - it limits it to around 45 characters I think. As I said, pretty minor things!

[This message has been edited by Alex Plooy (edited 03-27-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules