Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > PPPoE over AirPort?

PPPoE over AirPort?
moreno
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2003, 12:01 PM

My university's wireless network is switching to a PPPoE over 802.11b model. I can't configure Mac OS X for that :/ seems to me that the networking preferences on Mac OS X tabs the method of access to a network by interface type (Ethernet, Modem, AirPort)... Then, i can't use a PPPoE on a wireless connection

Please help!

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2003, 12:09 PM

You should have a PPPoE tab in the Airport settings.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2003, 12:23 PM

I agree that he *should*. Unfortunately, he probably doesn't.

My Powerbook running Panther doesn't, either.

-s*

Morenix
Oct 11, 2003, 12:28 PM

You should have a PPPoE tab in the Airport settings.
Don't exist on 10.2 (i asked to the friends). Even in Mac OS 10.3 build 7B80.
made on mac with .mac with a powermac and mac os!
they call it a community, not a monopoly

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2003, 01:08 PM

Wait a sec... No, there shouldn't be. It is PPP over Ethernet after all.
You just need to connect to an access point/gateway. Are you sure it's not simply WEP encrypted? This would make a lot more sense. I've never heard of wireless PPPoE. This doesn't mean it doesn't exist; I just am not familiar with it. There may also be some MAC address filtering going on. Try talking to an administer and get the low-down.

cowerd
Senior User
Oct 11, 2003, 02:24 PM

PPoE for wireless in a new (craptacular) method for locking down wifi networks. No third-party PPoE client for OS X exists--that I know of. Roaring Penguin's client did work on the beta OS X release, however I haven't checked into it recently.
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

FraiseTagada
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2003, 06:22 PM

I am not sure to answer correctly your question but...
You can connect to an Airport base station and have this station connect to a WAN (ADSL) via PPPoE. To do this base station setup you need to use the Airport configuration tools you find in /applications/utilities

Note that it is a way to setup the base station so when done once it should not be modified anymore.

AFAIK, PPPoE is not a protocol to link a computer to a wifi station. You have to think about it as:
Computer->802.11b_Base station->PPPoE-ADSL or cable modem->WAN

You can of course find the PPPoE setting under the Ethernet setting of your Network configuration. After all E stands for Ethernet, so it might be normal to find setting for this protocol under the physical conector it is designed for !

Morenix
Oct 11, 2003, 09:26 PM

I am not sure to answer correctly your question but...
NO!

PPPoE is being used to make even more secure the wireless networks.

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2003, 09:45 AM

I use PPPoverEthernet to connect to my ADSL service. I first set it up using an Ethernet cable in my Powerbook and then used the Airport Setup Assistant to copy my settings over to the AE base station. The base station now hanldes any PPPoE conection issues (username, password) itself and all I have to do is conect to my wireless network.

PPPoE is not a wireles protocol so perhaps your school is describing it incorrectly. If you go to Network Preferences, PPPoE is an option if you select Ethernet.

Visnaut
Senior User
Oct 13, 2003, 10:41 AM

I think Morenix has made it quite clear that the school is using a new, undocumented way of connecting to their base stations. It's not out of the ordinary for an institution to opt for some new, untested protocol that's been haphazardly developed for Windows only. Not that this is much of a problem in Portugal because there is a much lower per-capita of Mac users there, but that's a discussion for another day.

Morenix, does the school have some sort of configuration guide posted on their web site? Even if it's Windows-only, it might shed some light as to what they're doing and how they're going about it. Don't worry about it being in Portuguese, I can read it, and translate it for the other board members if any of y'all are interested. And I'm sure you're quite capable of doing that as well. You seem quite well versed in English as it is. Keep it up.

This PPPoE over 802.11b (or would it be more accurate to call it PPPoW?) intrigues me. You never know, this may start becoming more popular in educational institutions as they try to lock their networks down.

Forum Links
Forum Rules