Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Guitar Question

Guitar Question
Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2003, 03:33 AM

I just started playing a bit and my fingers are still quite sore from practicing earlier. Anyway, I've wanted to learn to play for some time as I have several friends who do, and while I was visiting family I came across a guitar case. After some inquiries I found out it was my aunts guitar, and after asking she has let me take it home to play since she doesn't play it herself any more.

As with all things I know enthusiasts typically swear by one brand or another, and I honestly have no inkling of who makes a good guitar and who doesn't. The guitar I'm borrowing from her is a "Guild D25CH." It is a beautiful cherry red and the guitar sounds beautiful to me now that it is in tune. It is about 25 years old and in pretty good condition, although it has a few scratches here and there from use, and looks like it was dropped once.

Well, the basic question is this. If I get good enough and wish to purchase a guitar of my own, should I attempt to purchase this one from her, or look elsewhere.

Like I said, it sounds great to me, and on that merit alone I would purchase it, but it can't hurt to get some input from people who aren't so ignorant as myself.

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2003, 04:03 AM

If you like it, who cares what other people think?

Maybe your aunt would just give it to you if she doesn't use it anymore.

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

Cipher13
Dec 9, 2003, 04:13 AM

You'll get a different answer from every guitar enthusiast. Every brand has a different distinctive "sound" or "feel".

Lots of people generally consider Gibsons to be the best of the best (the Les Paul series); I personally love the sound of a good Ibanez.

I'm not a guitar enthusiast, nor do I play guitar though, so just ignore me.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2003, 04:51 AM

One of those recently went for $260 on eBay. It's a good, solid guitar, but whether you buy it or not depends partly on what style of music you end up playing. I would recommend playing it for a while, getting a feel for what you like to play, and learning more about guitars before spending any money. If you have a teacher he/she can give you some guidance.

First of all, it's a dreadnought. That's the most popular size, which makes it a good place to start. However, you might find down the road that you want a different size guitar. For instance, fingerstyle players tend to prefer smaller guitars that are not as loud but are more responsive. Or you might want a built-in pick-up, or a cutaway, or a different type of neck, or any number of things.

Second, it has a cherry top. Different woods have different characteristics, and that might affect your decision down the road. Spruce is the most common top, whereas my two best guitars have cedar tops. It depends on what style you play and what you like.

So, I would borrow the Guild for a while, learn more about guitars, and then decide. It's certainly a nice enough guitar to learn on, and you might well decide to keep it. In the end all that matters is that you like it - don't let anyone tell you that you have to have a certain make or model.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2003, 07:30 AM

I started on a Guild about 10 years ago... decent solid guitars.

I now play electric mostly and have a few Fender Strats, although I keep a classical around the house for more somber moments.

When you get some more experience there are endless choices as to guitar size, materials, actions, hardware etc etc You will get to know what suits you after you have been playing for a while...

if I were you I would borrow the guitar for as long as possibl;e, and then decide if you want to move on, and if so what you need...

Good luck with it,

Peace,

Marc

Jansar
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2003, 07:44 AM

If you like the Guild, stick with it. If you want a new guitar, there are a lot of popular names out there (Alvarez, Gibson, Fender) which probably can provide you with different varieties of guitars, electric or acoustic. I own a black Alvarez acoustic and a Gibson electric, although I'm looking to shoot for a used acoustic/electric hybrid. See if you can get a used guitar. You'll get some nice deals and normally the guitars are nice as well. Since you're probably looking for an acoustic, try an Alvarez.

Although this is a bit superfluous, the best of the best are made by people you've probably never heard of, for example my uncle has a "Paul Fischer" that's worth somewhere between $10-15k (he's a professional classical guitarist). I know that's obviously not a choice, but as you can see guitars can get mad expensive. Good luck with your search!
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Flying Mac Chap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2003, 01:01 PM

I recently bought a Guitar. Althought it was hand made and not of a brand I'd still go around buying a factory made instrument in the same way... go to a guitar shop and try out every single one they have!
Powerbook Aluminium 15" 1.25GHz
Power Mac G3 Blue & White
iMac G3 (CRT)
PA28-161

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2003, 01:08 PM

Each person has his/her own personal taste. I've got a Les Paul style guitar right now, but I will probably trade it in sometime for a strat-style, as they just fit my hands better. Get what feels and sounds best to you.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2003, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by Teronzhul:
As with all things I know enthusiasts typically swear by one brand or another, and I honestly have no inkling of who makes a good guitar and who doesn't.
Doesn't matter. It's what feels right to you.
Guild is a pretty good make, but I don't know about the model.

Originally posted by Teronzhul:
Well, the basic question is this. If I get good enough and wish to purchase a guitar of my own, should I attempt to purchase this one from her, or look elsewhere.

Like I said, it sounds great to me, and on that merit alone I would purchase it, but it can't hurt to get some input from people who aren't so ignorant as myself.
If you like it, buy it. I'd only really be looking at three things:

1) Does it stay in tune?

2) Does it have an action which you like? (action = distance between strings and fretboard).

3) Is the neck straight? Pick it up and sight along the neck from one end to the other. You'll be able to tell if something's out of whack 'coz it obviously won't look right (even to a beginner).

If it's fully functional, the only question is whether or not it's the guitar for you based on sound and styling. Only you can answer that once you get a little better.

I personally favour Ibanez, Fender and Steinberger. But then I'm a rock deity. YMMV.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2003, 03:59 PM

There have been a number of recommendations of guitar makes, but they've mostly been electrics, and you've got an acoustic. If you decide to buy an acoustic, a good resource is Acoustic Guitar magazine - they have some advice and reviews here: http://www.acousticguitar.com/Gear/index.shtml

The biggest names in the biz are probably Martin and Taylor. They've had consistently high quality through the years and make excellent guitars for a range of playing styles. Gibson and Guild are also classic names but because the companies have changed hands over the years you have to be more careful about the vintage of the guitar if you buy used. Both seem to be making excellent guitars again.

Then there are the boutique, handmade guitars like Santa Cruz, Collings, Larrivee, Lowden, etc., which run at least $2,000.

At the more affordable end are names like Fender, Alvarez, Ibanez, etc. These are mass-produced - usually in the Far East - but you can find good ones if you're paying attention.

Read the magazines, hang out at guitar shops, talk to players, etc. and you'll start to get a feel for things. Try to get someone who knows guitars to help you pick one out. Just remember that there's no single best guitar - you should go with what suits your hands, your playing style and your ear.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2003, 05:43 PM

For acoustics, my favorite is Takemine. In electrics, it depends on what I'm playing; Blues - Stk Les Paul, Jazz - Stk Tele, Rock/Metal - Ibanez Saber 540S (with dual SD humbuckers), Rock/Classic - USA Std Strat
( Last edited by Shaddim; Dec 9, 2003 at 05:49 PM. )
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2004, 08:40 PM

i was considering learning to play the guitar...probably acoustic. anyone particular brand for acoustic guitars? also can anyone suggest a good book to learn from, i am not all that musical so i have no idea it i could even learn. thanks

Jansar
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2004, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by nredman:
i was considering learning to play the guitar...probably acoustic. anyone particular brand for acoustic guitars? also can anyone suggest a good book to learn from, i am not all that musical so i have no idea it i could even learn. thanks
I use an Alvarez, and I like it a lot. Since strings are also important, my personal favorite acoustic strings are the Dean Markley "Blue Steel" strings.

I would try getting any "beginning guitar" book. It's very important to learn basic chords so that you can already get started with simple songs, before building up from there. I have not had experience using books, but if you like songs by various artists, you can look the particular song up in Google search followed by the word "tab" and you should get several results. Often times, tabs will include chords, and even show you where to put your fingers. When reading tabs, there will be six "strings" with numbers on them. The strings will be in order, starting (on top) with the e string (the high-pitched one on the bottom), then B, G, D, A, E (yes, this is also an E string). The numbers on the strings tell you which fret to hold, so if there's a number 5, put your finger on the 5th fret on the string the number's on. Although tabs don't give you a sense of tempo, if you know the song, you can follow along once you get the hang of the guitar. Numbers on top of each other mean that you play them at the same time...you'll get the hang of it.

A good song to start off with is Tonight (Reprise) by the Smashing Pumpkins (just the beginning part). Try to find the MP3 somewhere so you know what it sounds like. It's the first song I learned, so you can always start from there. Afterward, you can strum really basic songs like Boss DJ by Sublime to learn more chords, etc.

Hope that helps. You can always ask me if you have more questions.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 09:21 PM

I have always felt that private luthiers produce the best "feeling" guitars, but in the end it all comes down to you, and your wallet. As for the sore fingers, calluses take time to build up. Mine are subcutaneous at this point, meaning it doesent look like i have calluses, but they are there, just permanently under my skin, so i never get sore fingers. Try not to soak your fingers under hot soapy water for long periods of time, ie. bath, or washing dishes, that will soften your fingertips. Enjoy though, this could be the beginning of a life time journey.

bookofjames
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2004, 09:48 PM

I haven't played Guild guitars before, but I've heard they are pretty good. If the guitar you borrowed sounds good then you should consider keeping it.

Of course it would be best to get someone more experienced to actually try out the guitar and let you know if its good.

I personally love the Taylor necks' playability and their sweet sound. I own 2 myself.

Enjoy your guitar adventures!
book-of-james.com

12" Rev B PwBk (Oct2003)
1GHz | 60GB HDD (4200rpm) | 1.25 GB RAM

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 15, 2004, 11:22 PM

Don't worry about brands or who plays what. But what you like.

It is true that the nicer guitars sound and play nice.. you do get what you pay for.

I've owned a lot of guitars over the years.. the only one I have kept ahold of is my Paul Reed Smith.

Forum Links
Forum Rules