Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Audio & Video out simultaneously from Dual USB iBook?

Audio & Video out simultaneously from Dual USB iBook?
Lebensm�de
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2004, 01:00 PM

What is the best way to output audio and video from the iBook to TWO separate sources, i.e. when I hook my iBook up to an external loudspeaker (in this case a TV) via the three-pronged AV cord and the video to a projector via the video out adapter?

I tried this recently and I couldn't get any sound. Is there some basic setting I'm missing in order to be able to accomplish this or is it technically impossible?

drive-thru
Senior User
Jul 20, 2004, 01:21 PM

I'm assuming that you have an older dual USB iBook where there is an adaptor for VGA which plugs into the port between the USB and heaphones and another adaptor for both audio and video which plugs into the "headphone' port and splits to 3 phono ends.
I think you're having trouble because you're plugging both adaptors in, the VGA for video to the projector and the composite for audio to the speakers. The iBook might be confused because of both these adaptors being plugged in.
Try connecting the VGA to the projector and using some headphones to check for sound. If this works then you'll need a cable like the compostie adaptor, but with only 2 phono ends for the audio. You can get these at any store like Radio Shack.

Forum Links
Forum Rules