Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Today’s Freebie: Codeweavers Crossover

Today’s Freebie: Codeweavers Crossover
moep
Senior User
Oct 28, 2008, 03:27 AM

Codeweavers is offering a completely free version of Crossover Pro (+ Crossover Games) today.

We are giving away all of our software for free on Tuesday, October 28th, 2008. This is a fully working, fully supported copy of either CrossOver Mac Professional, or CrossOver Linux Professional. No hooks, tricks, timebombs, or gimmicks: it's the real deal.
Go grab a copy while it lasts.

http://lameduck.codeweavers.com/
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2008, 04:46 AM

Just to warn anyone who's politically sensitive, the whole thing is peppered with potshots at George W. Bush about the economy. But it is a totally legitimate freebie offer. Really good deal. Crossover lets you run Windows software on an Intel Mac without actually needing Windows.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2008, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Just to warn anyone who's politically sensitive, the whole thing is peppered with potshots at George W. Bush about the economy.
Seriously, if you can't stand that, you should have crawled under a rock 1 year ago and waited till the election is over. You can not watch TV for more than 5 minutes w/o those potshots.

Back on topic: excellent deal

Thanks, Codeweavers.

I'd still be voting McCain

-t

Chinasaur
Senior User
Oct 28, 2008, 02:13 PM

I've searched and can't find a good explanation of the difference between the versions.

One site alluded to Games updated more frequently... I would "assume" that the Pro includes Games as a subset but don't want to make an incorrect assumption.

Anyone have any information to share?

TIA!
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2008, 02:20 PM

CodeWeavers' site seems to be hammered right now, causing them to strip it down to the basics (good news for anyone offended by the GWB potshots, I guess), so it's not really possible to tell from their site; however, this is what Wikipedia says:

Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CrossOver
CrossOver Mac
In June 2005, CodeWeavers announced a new Apple Mac OS X version of CrossOver Office called CrossOver Mac that will support Windows-to-Mac application porting on Intel-based Macs.[1] Crossover Mac was released on January 10, 2007. [2] With the release of Crossover Mac 7 on June 17, 2008, Crossover Mac was divided into Standard and Pro versions like Crossover Linux. The standard version includes 6 months of support and upgrades, while the Pro version includes 1 year of support and upgrades and a free copy of Crossover Games.

CrossOver Games
CrossOver Games, announced on 10th March 2008[3], is a new product that lets the users play a broad range of games, "particularly games with a lot of replayability such as MMOs like World of Warcraft and the range of games from Valve (e.g. Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike: Source, and so on)". The difference with regular CrossOver is that CrossOver Games will have a shorter release cycle in order to update faster to the latest work on Wine faster than with regular CrossOver, which targets stability and reliability.[4]
Since CrossOver Pro apparently includes a copy of CrossOver Games, that seems like the one to try (unless the idea is that you're supposed to download both of them and use the same serial number).

Whatever, the price is right either way.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2008, 02:22 PM

Edit: What CharlesS said.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Andy8
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2008, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
the price is right either way.
Exactly.

FourOhFour
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2008, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Since CrossOver Pro apparently includes a copy of CrossOver Games, that seems like the one to try (unless the idea is that you're supposed to download both of them and use the same serial number).

Whatever, the price is right either way.
I think you download both. At least, there's no "CrossOver Games" in the pro download...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2008, 10:47 PM

Has anyone gotten their key yet ?

-t

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2008, 01:35 AM

I got mine a long time ago. Your mistake was probably mentioning that you're voting for McCain.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

IronPen
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2008, 10:18 AM

I haven't gotten mine yet. But I can still use the application. I ran IE 6.0 the other day (for work).
MacBook C2D 2.0GHz/Combo/2GB RAM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2008, 12:15 PM

Interesting. I thought you needed the key to unlock it.

Gotta try installing my downloads.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2008, 01:28 PM

Just received my key. Great.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules