Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Sign Twirlers

View Poll Results: Sign twirling is:
Poll Options:
a great way to promote a business. 1 votes (6.25%)
an eyesore. 5 votes (31.25%)
a great way for young people to get paid for looking foolish. 7 votes (43.75%)
WTF is sign twirling? 3 votes (18.75%)
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll
Sign Twirlers
iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2010, 07:28 PM

We have a phenomenon here in Southern California that I’ve seldom seen in other parts of the world. Basically, a person gets paid to stand on a street corner holding a sign advertising a business. It might be someone dancing to music while twirling the sign and wearing a costume or just someone sitting in a chair holding the sign.

I’ve always thought sign twirling was asinine, but today it reached critical mass; I was driving through an intersection where there were no less than three sign twirlers on each corner. There are so f---ing many of them that it’s starting to get embarrassing.

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Apr 18, 2010, 08:02 PM

In January, Scaly Dave's Pet Shop had someone drive a guy wearing a frog suit holding a giant yellow sign around in a convertible. At stop lights, the frog guy would stand on the seat and dance for people waiting in traffic. This was in January mind you, when it was a little over 30°f outside. I'm also fairly certain this was breaking the state seat belt laws.
are you lightfooted?

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2010, 08:06 PM

its become quite popular here too, there is a guy near me who has been in the paper for his dancing... he even advertises for his facebook page when he is out there...

He listenens to "underground hip hop" while he dances... and he has some decent moves for a white guy...

here is the guy
http://www.facebook.com/video/video....2523&ref=share

here is his fan page on facebook...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/ME-Sig...3673?ref=share

-Zach
( Last edited by phantomdragonz; Apr 18, 2010 at 08:18 PM. )

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2010, 08:44 AM

can't go a block in the city's burbs without seeing them here. i see easily a dozen plus on my way home from work. usually for a promotion that month or "sale".

the biggest user of this, in our area, is Liberty Tax Service. ALL locations have someone dressed as the statue of liberty at the nearest intersection of their branch holding up signs saying "the end is near". course, january through april 15th only

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2010, 09:15 AM

Not much here. Just Little Caesars. And, even then, only towards the weekend.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 19, 2010, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
the biggest user of this, in our area, is Liberty Tax Service. ALL locations have someone dressed as the statue of liberty at the nearest intersection of their branch holding up signs saying "the end is near". course, january through april 15th only
Liberty Tax sign guys dress up as "Uncle Sam" here.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2010, 10:30 AM

They just opened a Little Caesars down the street and the sign twirlers look ridiculous! They have one guy in the "Pizza Pizza" man suit, a guy holding a fake flimsy stringless-guitar pretending to play and someone holding a "5 dollar hot-and-ready" sign. I live in a college town so I guess if you are that desperate for Natty Light then any job will do.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2010, 10:59 AM

I'm always surprised that Little Caesar's still exists.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2010, 11:32 AM

They're real life pop ups. I just open my door and hit them as I drive by... makes a great pop up blocker.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Railroader
Banned
Apr 19, 2010, 01:35 PM

The Indianapolis area has them. Mostly cell phone companies, tax companies, and Little Caesar's. The only ones that get active and dance around are the Liberty Tax guys in a Lady Liberty suit. The cell phone and Little Caesar's people just stand there listening to their MP3 payers. Personally I'd rather have them out there than another static sign. It gives someone a job, albeit an obviously low paying job, but still a job.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2010, 03:18 PM

in my vicinity; in order of who has the most out doing it would be/is:

liberty tax service (for those 4 months), nail salons, hair cut places, oil change places, little caesars, k-mart, mom/pop pizza places and believe it or not...tobacco shops.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 19, 2010, 08:42 PM

Got 'em here too. I've seen "Miss Liberty" and Uncle Sam lately, but I've also seen mattresses. And the more common "person who wears his own clothes and holds some stupid sign on a corner near some store" types are here too. They are also frequently used for new subdivision open house events-if it's possible for such a job to get more boring, I think the subdivision angle makes it more boring than any other job of its kind.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Aeolius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2010, 08:47 PM

"Apparently, he didn't like chicken.": Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules