Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > are 20" apple displays compeltely dead?

are 20" apple displays compeltely dead?
Foxdog175
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2009, 04:26 PM

I'm in the market for a new apple display, but the only one available I see is a 24". I don't have a need for a 30". This will be used to replace my current 17" ~10 year old apple lcd monitor. I'd like to purchase a 20", but saw they were discontinued earlier in the year. I figured Apple would announce updated displays today at their keynote, but they didn't do so. What is the likelihood of Apple ever releasing updated displays in the next 6 months? 24 and 30" isn't diverse enough, and I've heard the 24" monitors have a very short cord because it was intended to be used with laptops.

I'm just completely baffled by the total lack of diversity with Apple displays. Two options don't cut it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2009, 04:30 PM

The real problem with their 24" is not that cord length, but that it is MDP-only. If you have VGA or DVI you can't use it.

I do expect them to release a new 30". But I wouldn't wait for a 20".

Foxdog175  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2009, 06:01 PM

In my situation, I already have a 30". The 17 is a dual monitor, but I don't think I would like having two big monitors as my "main" one would have to be offset. I'd much prefer it to be dead center on my desk, with the smaller monitor angled to the side. The 17 fits perfectly, and the 20 should work too. Any bigger and I'd have to off-center the 30".

What is MDP? My current G5 wouldn't even be able to use it? So in reality, apple only sells one monitor which is the giganto-30"? That is just wrong.

Northeastern292
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2009, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Foxdog175 View Post
In my situation, I already have a 30". The 17 is a dual monitor, but I don't think I would like having two big monitors as my "main" one would have to be offset. I'd much prefer it to be dead center on my desk, with the smaller monitor angled to the side. The 17 fits perfectly, and the 20 should work too. Any bigger and I'd have to off-center the 30".

What is MDP? My current G5 wouldn't even be able to use it? So in reality, apple only sells one monitor which is the giganto-30"? That is just wrong.
MDP is MiniDisplay Port.
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170

Foxdog175  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2009, 10:36 PM

so 30" is the only display Apple sells that works with power macs?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2009, 11:27 PM

Do any manufacturers even make 20" IPS panels anymore?

I haven't seen a 20" non-TN monitor in a long time, and there'd be little point to an Apple display with a TN panel in it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Foxdog175  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2009, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Do any manufacturers even make 20" IPS panels anymore?

I haven't seen a 20" non-TN monitor in a long time, and there'd be little point to an Apple display with a TN panel in it.
I'm not asking for a TN monitor. I'm simply asking for an apple monitor size other than a $2300 30".

Now, when I look at this 24", it says it works with Mac Desktops - wouldn't that include mine? It's a quad core 3.2 G5 - purchased about a year ago.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2009, 03:12 AM

That is correct. The 24" ACD will only work with new Macs that come with MDP. As amazing as that may sound to you (it does to me too) that's actually the case right now.

And nobody really knows why. At the very least Apple could have provided pass-through DVI input to the new screen. That way a simple DVI-MDP dongle would have been sufficient to hook up any DVI Mac to the new display. Note that DP explicitly includes DVI pass-through by design. Why Apple left this out on the monitor is entirely beyond me.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2009, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Foxdog175 View Post
I'm not asking for a TN monitor. I'm simply asking for an apple monitor size other than a $2300 30".

Now, when I look at this 24", it says it works with Mac Desktops - wouldn't that include mine? It's a quad core 3.2 G5 - purchased about a year ago.
You could get a refurbished 23". Or, you could get this, which uses an H-IPS panel just like Apple's.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2009, 04:47 AM

Apple seems to be indicating that it doesn't want to be in the general external display market anymore.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules