Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Buying a microphone.

Buying a microphone.
Tiresias
Sep 16, 2006, 04:51 AM

I want a microphone for voice recordings because I get too much fan noise from my in-build mic on my PBook 12".

I'd prefer something I can just plug in and use without an amp.

I read a lot of bad reviews for the Snow Ball mic from Blue Microphones. What are my options? Any advice?

EDIT: Just had a thought: For voice recordings (all I want is an audible volume with non-obtrusive levels of ambient noise) perhaps a digital dictaphone would be enough? Any recommendations? Something that has a UBS output so that audio files can be imported to iTunes and put on an iPod? Any one used a dictophone to do this?

The Olympus DS-2 Digital Recorder is apparently Mac-compatible? But what are "DSS and WMA file formats"--can they be converted to mp3/4 and put on an iPod?
( Last edited by Tiresias; Sep 16, 2006 at 05:08 AM. )

Tiresias  (op)
Sep 16, 2006, 06:01 PM

Is the iPod accessory the XtremeMac MicroMemo Digital Voice Recorder better than a digital dictaphone sound-qualitywise? Is it better than the built-in mic on the PowerBook?
The Apple Store (U.S.) - XtremeMac MicroMemo Digital Voice Recorder
( Last edited by Tiresias; Sep 16, 2006 at 06:10 PM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2006, 06:46 PM

It is probably not better than the PowerBook built in mic. Do you have an iSight? Those have good quality microphones.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2006, 01:40 AM

You might look into microphones that are USB powered, such as the Samson Audio - C01U. I've used one and it's pretty nice. Works perfectly with GarageBand after just plugging it in.

Tiresias  (op)
Sep 17, 2006, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad
You might look into microphones that are USB powered, such as the Samson Audio - C01U. I've used one and it's pretty nice. Works perfectly with GarageBand after just plugging it in.
Looks good.

It's 80 bucks on Amazon. What's the retail?

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2006, 11:08 AM

Looks like 80 is the going rate. Samson Audio - C01U - Froogle

kcmac
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2006, 09:29 PM

I nearly purchased a SnowBall several months ago and then decided to hold back and wait awhile. Looked to be a nice mic for podcasting and other basic recording needs. What did you read that kept you away?

It is pricier than the one suggested here but ....

Tiresias  (op)
Sep 18, 2006, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by kcmac
I nearly purchased a SnowBall several months ago and then decided to hold back and wait awhile. Looked to be a nice mic for podcasting and other basic recording needs. What did you read that kept you away?

It is pricier than the one suggested here but ....
Just all the bad reviews at apple.com. People complaining of low volumes. Plus the Samson is a fraction of the price, and all I want a mic for is decent voice recordings (I'm not a musician).
( Last edited by Tiresias; Sep 18, 2006 at 09:42 AM. )

Tiresias  (op)
Sep 18, 2006, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5
It is probably not better than the PowerBook built in mic. Do you have an iSight? Those have good quality microphones.
The XtremeMac MicroMemo Digital Voice is 16-bit; and, apparently, the Samson mic mentioned above is also 16-bit. Does this mean I'm gonna get a comparable sound-quality on both mics? Seems weird. Am I missing something?

Also, how many bits is the built-in mic? The user's guide doesn't tell you.

Also, what are bits? Really. I have no idea.

EDIT: Okay. My dictionary says "a unit of information expressed as either a 0 or 1 in binary notation"; so, again, doesn't same bits (same digital information) equal same audio quality?
( Last edited by Tiresias; Sep 18, 2006 at 09:42 AM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2006, 04:14 PM

The more bits, the better quality. But a cheap 16 bit mic might now be as good as an expensive 16 bit mic. I think the PowerBook's mic is 8 bits, which is fine for podcasting and the like. They sound just fine. I know some people who record their podcasts on a PowerBook mic.

Tiresias  (op)
Sep 19, 2006, 01:41 AM

On the in-built I get fan-noise and harddrive noise and a low volume. But I'm on a 12"er. Maybe it's different on the bigger PBooks.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2006, 08:40 AM

Have you searched the Digital Audio/Video forum?

Plenty of discussion there on microphone options.

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Sep 19, 2006, 10:42 AM

I use this Logitech USB Mic. Works pretty good for 30$ and they make the 3.5 plug version for 10$ less.
- Eric

Tiresias  (op)
Sep 19, 2006, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by IFLY2HIGH
I use this Logitech USB Mic. Works pretty good for 30$ and they make the 3.5 plug version for 10$ less.
I've just been looking at the Logitech. Is it a marked improvement on the built-in mic?

Again, they don't tell you how many bits it is.

EDIT: Also, it seems to be connected through USB 1.1. Aren't PBooks using UBS 2? Will it connect?
( Last edited by Tiresias; Sep 20, 2006 at 01:36 AM. )

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2006, 07:51 AM

The Logitech is good. It's nice and cheap and works well. Ambient noise levels are low and the sound quality good. We've used them at work for various situations. However it does depend on the kind of quality you'll be needing. Obviously you wouldn't use this in a professional sound environment.

I don't think there's much better out there in this price range.

Oh, and yes, it does work on the PB although I haven't tried it on the MBP.

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Sep 20, 2006, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresias
EDIT: Also, it seems to be connected through USB 1.1. Aren't PBooks using UBS 2? Will it connect?
USB 2.0 is compatable with USB 1.1 devices anyway. I have mine plugged into my 2.0 card on my mac.
- Eric

Forum Links
Forum Rules