Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Barbie is a Saucy Wench.

Barbie is a Saucy Wench.
Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2002, 05:23 AM

Geez they start young these days.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2002, 05:25 AM

it's the greatest anorexia franchise the world has ever seen

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2002, 05:32 AM

Imagine my shock when I thought you were referring to Klaus Barbie.

Nimisys
Banned
Dec 8, 2002, 05:34 AM

how about some Nude Models?

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Dec 8, 2002, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by Nimisys:
how about some Nude Models?
So...anyone for polygonal prophylactics?

PorscheBunny
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2002, 06:35 AM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
it's the greatest anorexia franchise the world has ever seen
Let's just perpetuate the myth that skeletal is beautiful, and someone with the figure of a man for Auschwitz is gorgeous. We can force-feed it to young girls in the form of a toy.

Besides, whomever dressed up the redheaded one shoulda put her in something emerald or forest green, not silver and black.
*LADIES AND GENTLEMEN: THE BITCH HAS LEFT TEH BUILDING*

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Dec 8, 2002, 06:55 AM

There's nothing wrong with being thin and pretty. There is something wrong, however, with being a 270lb+ skag.

PorscheBunny
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2002, 07:22 AM

When you're 5' 5" and 85 lbs. and your measurements are 30-18-24, the only "pretty" you're close to is pretty dead. Those are approximate measurements of an adult woman with the same proportions as Barbie.

For some reason, the fashion industry has decided that these stick-figures that look like little skinny boys are the example of beauty. Clothes that look good on these 'models' look good on a clothes hanger too, because the model aren't much bigger than the hanger. Real women have curves and bumps, mounds and vales; the portrayal made by Mattel (Barbie's manufacturer) and others is that women should be skinny eunuchs.

No, I'm not saying that Bessie the 500 lb cow from Jerry Springer's freak show should be the standard either.

There is a happy medium out there, a huge market to be tapped if any of the fashion desginers would take an honest effort to do so. I guess all that money would 'taint' their 'art'.

Cipher13
Dec 8, 2002, 08:30 AM

Originally posted by PorscheBunny:
When you're 5' 5" and 85 lbs. and your measurements are 30-18-24, the only "pretty" you're close to is pretty dead. Those are approximate measurements of an adult woman with the same proportions as Barbie.

For some reason, the fashion industry has decided that these stick-figures that look like little skinny boys are the example of beauty. Clothes that look good on these 'models' look good on a clothes hanger too, because the model aren't much bigger than the hanger. Real women have curves and bumps, mounds and vales; the portrayal made by Mattel (Barbie's manufacturer) and others is that women should be skinny eunuchs.

No, I'm not saying that Bessie the 500 lb cow from Jerry Springer's freak show should be the standard either.

There is a happy medium out there, a huge market to be tapped if any of the fashion desginers would take an honest effort to do so. I guess all that money would 'taint' their 'art'.
"Happy medium?" There is no happy medium.

It's a completely individual thing. Whether social conditioning has shaped our tastes or not, it is still a per-person, entirely subjective 'thing', reliant on nothing but personal preference.

Also... Releasing "Butch Barbie" won't suddenly make teenage girls take their fingers out of their throats and put them in the pudding.

It just won't happen.

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2002, 08:37 AM

Nuthin' more horrible to find yourself in bed with a sack o bones.

I'll go for padded every time

arrested502
Senior User
Dec 8, 2002, 11:55 AM

High class hooker Barbie�

It's always great to brain wash young girls into believing that this hunk of plastic with an impossible to attain figure is what the "ideal woman" is "supposed to" look like. That way, they can grow-up with inferiority complexes and become depressed when they can't attain such a body type and just let themselves become seriously over-weight.

Besides I like a woman with a little meat on her bones.

I liked this from fark a few weeks back the "Emme" doll (sculpted after the full figured model of the same name):

MikeM
"Devil ether, it makes you behave like the village drunkard in some early Irish novel. Total loss of all basic motor skills. Blurred vision. No balance. Numb Tongue. The mind recoills in horror. Unable to communicate with the spinal column. Which is interresting, because you can watch yourself behaving in this terrible way, but you can't control it"

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2002, 12:29 PM

So is someone going to post "naked Ken" pictures, for the other 17% of the Lounge's readers?

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2002, 01:17 PM

I'm surpised that bodices are not sold with these Barbies - I can't see how else they arrive at that look.

Hmm yes - these Barbies are shaped like very thin boys with breast implants.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

digimage
Banned
Dec 8, 2002, 02:14 PM

Besides, whomever dressed up the redheaded one shoulda put her in something emerald or forest green, not silver and black.
Obviously, straight men are now designing barbie's ensembles.
No taste at all.

Maybe they are still angry about not finding a wifey that looks like a barbie.

What is the world coming to?

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2002, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by Face Ache:

Geez they start young these days.

why were you on that barbie site?

fapping to barbie is illegal right?
snappy

arrested502
Senior User
Dec 8, 2002, 02:35 PM

I give you people the beautiful "Emme" doll and you're still droning on about that slut Barbie� ?

MikeM
"Devil ether, it makes you behave like the village drunkard in some early Irish novel. Total loss of all basic motor skills. Blurred vision. No balance. Numb Tongue. The mind recoills in horror. Unable to communicate with the spinal column. Which is interresting, because you can watch yourself behaving in this terrible way, but you can't control it"

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2002, 03:04 PM

Now they just need one in a french maid outfit with bondage gear.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2002, 06:18 PM

I'm so tied of people blaming Barbie(tm) for girls with self-esteem issues. It's a frickin' toy for Pete's sake. Get over it. I had a GI Joe when I was growing up. That doesn't mean I thought I'd look better with a scar across my face.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 8, 2002, 06:45 PM

Let's just perpetuate the myth that skeletal is beautiful, and someone with the figure of a man for Auschwitz is gorgeous. We can force-feed it to young girls in the form of a toy.
To each his or her own. I know men that like skinny gals, I know men that like them plump. Skeletal CAN be beautiful. So can plump. I don't however think any man thinks that a flabalanche is attractive though.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 8, 2002, 06:50 PM

MY GF is 5'4" and weighs 95lbs. She doesn't look dead, as a matter of fact, many people in here said she was attractive. Beauty is in the eye...

For some reason, the fashion industry has decided that these stick-figures that look like little skinny boys are the example of beauty.

They don't look like skinny boys to me... but maybe to YOU they do.

Clothes that look good on these 'models' look good on a clothes hanger too, because the model aren't much bigger than the hanger. Real women have curves and bumps, mounds and vales; the portrayal made by Mattel (Barbie's manufacturer) and others is that women should be skinny eunuchs.
Hmm Cheryl is about the size you described, and she has curves and bumps and such. Skinny models can fit into ANYTHING. That is one of the reasons they are used.

But who are you to say skinny isn't beautiful? Seems to me you are doing the same thing they are. Saying "This size is acceptable but anything else is ugly"

I've dated all sizes of women (except obese ones) and they were ALL beautiful. I know many girls that are skinny, that CAN'T help it that would take offense to your post.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2002, 06:53 PM

Emma just needs to loose 90 lbs ( or grow an inch) and she'll be a hit

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2002, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by KeyLimePi:
I'm so tied of people blaming Barbie(tm) for girls with self-esteem issues. It's a frickin' toy for Pete's sake. Get over it. I had a GI Joe when I was growing up. That doesn't mean I thought I'd look better with a scar across my face.
AMEN to that.

I don't think esteem issues come from playing with toys. I also don't think the backlash against this image is from wanting people to be healthier. Some people are thin, some people work at looking good. Being healthy is one thing but most Americans are not healthy they are overweight. All this banter about stick figures and looking emaciated is bullsh!t. The promotion of this image does not cause girls to be fat out of depression: eating like a sow made them fat.

Humans aren't meant to stuff their faces with a half gallon of ice cream in one sitting. Maybe a 5'5" female should not be 85 lbs but she also shouldn't be 200lbs. While everyone may not be a model 55% of our population should also not be at least 25 pounds overweight.

It would be far less costly to society if people suffered from being too thin rather than being too fat. The thin people just die off quickly the fat people cost society billions in chronic heath problems. People should take a little more responsibility for not being at a body weight that is really healthy (FYI even one roll of fat negates what you think is healthy) rather than venting on Mattel because they don't sell size plus sized dolls that look like them.

You can all have the women with a "little meat on their bones" I will be perfectly happy with the ones that can run 6 miles and fit into a size 4.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2002, 07:30 PM

Boy's & girl's need to be happy with the body they were born with. Its the extremes that are dangerous, anorexia or obesity.

Its a catch 22, media encouragea young girls to be thin, but if the public didn't buy they would stop promoting thin.

PorscheBunny
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2002, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
But who are you to say skinny isn't beautiful? Seems to me you are doing the same thing they are. Saying "This size is acceptable but anything else is ugly"
This kind of skinny is ugly:

� and yet this is what Barbie would look like from this angle if she were adult sized.

This week's NOVA on PBS was about this type of topic. Webcast available at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/thin/program.html

Another "normal weight" resource: http://www.halls.md/

From one of Halls' MD pages:
Above all, Don't Worry, Be Happy. Its unhealthy to have anxiety over a less-than-perfect body image. And, if this calculator's description of your body seems wrong for you, just trust your own judgment. A healthy mental attitude is just as important as physical fitness.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 8, 2002, 07:52 PM

This kind of skinny is ugly:

� and yet this is what Barbie would look like from this angle if she were adult sized.
Ok, but like I said, some people are THAT skinny and can't help it. Just like people that are THAT overweight and can't help it. I dated a gal when I was in High School that was really skinny. She had a insecurity complex about it.Even though some gals would say to her "I would love to be that skinny" she hated it. She wore layers of clothes to make her look chunkier. I personally thought she was fine. It's not like she was starving herself, she ate more than I did. Iknow men that are atracted only to these types of girls. I know men that are attracted to only mid sized girls, etc and so on. I think making fun of a person because they are skinny is just as bad as making fun of people because they are fat. I think both skinny /average/fat women and men can have a healthy life as long as they are practicing healthy food intake. I'm no beefcake myself. I am 5'10" and weigh 150lbs. I think I prefer smaller girls because bigger ones are harder to spin around. (That was a joke BTW, not to be taken seriously)

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2002, 08:02 PM

says.. you.
I think she'd look like this.

And your "normal weight" site is full of crap. You can't do BMIs without going to someone who can measure your bone density and uses fat calipers. You put in Arnold's stats into that thing and it says he's obese. And you are basing your argument on thin equating with an eating disorder which is not true.

Its fine to be happy just don't ignore the fact that being fat over eating has more ways of killing you than anxiety.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2002, 09:05 PM

yep, I used to run long distance competitively in my teens. Though that was a long time ago now.

At age 17, male, 5'11", 130lb and the bmi says I was chronically underweight.

However, I was well muscled, resting pulse of 46, 3.2% body fat, and ran a half marathon in 1hr16min.

I also rock climbed seriously, could do 15 1-arm pullups, 50 2-arm pullups and outsprint most everyone I knew.

You should have seen the girls I trained with and climbed with. Thin they may have been but cuurvey, and with muscle tone most women would kill for. Not an ounce of surplus fat on them.

World class rock climbers come out chronically underweight on the bmi's but could break you in half, they're so strong.

using stats like barbies to suggest that you shouldn't be thin is rubbish. Fitness counts for more than body weight.

I see quite a few people at the gym where I work who would qualify as overweight, but who work out regularly and are in much better health than lighter people who smoke and don't excercise.

You have to take lifestyle into account.

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Forum Links
Forum Rules