Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X changes file dates, how to fix?

OS X changes file dates, how to fix?
finboy
Jun 12, 2006, 01:52 PM

Hi folks:
Whenever I copy older files onto an external drive or burn them to CD, OS X insists on changing their file dates to reflect today's date. Is there any way to fix this? Is there any way to copy files and keep their original date?

Thanks in advance.

finboy  (op)
Jun 12, 2006, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by finboy
Hi folks:
Whenever I copy older files onto an external drive or burn them to CD, OS X insists on changing their file dates to reflect today's date. Is there any way to fix this? Is there any way to copy files and keep their original date?

Thanks in advance.
bump

suthercd
Senior User
Jun 12, 2006, 08:11 PM

The files you copy are new. They were created when the copy was done. To preserve creation dates, you need to think in terms of backup. Use the OS X 10.4.6 'rsync', command line tool, and it will backup the file and preserve creation dates when given the right parameters. Entering 'man rsync' in the Terminal will show the modifiers that need to be added to the command for create date preservation. SuperDuper will also preserve them. If you install Developer Tools, ASR (Apple Software Restore) is another command line tool that will do this.

Here is a link that explores some of these options.

HTH

Craig
( Last edited by suthercd; Jun 12, 2006 at 10:01 PM. )

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2006, 09:00 PM

This is correct behavior. The date that the copy is created is "today" (meaning the day the copy took place), and the OS uses the date which reflects this.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

finboy  (op)
Jun 12, 2006, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by suthercd
SuperDuper will also preserve them.
This is why I haven't had to deal with this before, I've used SuperDuper to do exact backups.

As for it being "proper behavior" I have no doubt, but why doesn't OS 6, 7, 8, and 9, DOS 2.x forward, and Windows 286, 3.0, 3.11, 95, 98SE and XP do the same thing? All of those OSs preserve the archive date when copying. That's why it's so disconcerting.

I was kinda hoping there was a way to do it within the GUI without resorting to the command line. Like in every other GUI I've ever used.

Thanks for the links, I'll see how it works out.

suthercd
Senior User
Jun 12, 2006, 10:08 PM

Not a matter of being 'proper', just the design choices inherent in each of the file systems. OS X uses HFS+, OS 9 and before were HFS. With each release of OS X the file metadata scheme has become more mature and (to me) what were puzzling initial design implementations with earlier versions now make sense.

-Edit-
Use Automator's shell script capabilities. Write the rsync command with your particular needs and make it a Finder plug-in so you can select the files/folders/volumes you want to duplicate and right/ctrl click to do the job. Make it an iCal plug-in and have it run unattended on a schedule, duplicating locations you hard wire into it. There is not a lot of buzz about Automator which is a shame because it is a great tool-- for free!

C-
( Last edited by suthercd; Jun 12, 2006 at 10:22 PM. )

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2006, 11:29 PM

The files you copy are new. They were created when the copy was done.
Originally Posted by Millennium
This is correct behavior. The date that the copy is created is "today" (meaning the day the copy took place), and the OS uses the date which reflects this.
Fascinating.

Then, can either of you explain why my Mac behaves "incorrectly" ?

Using 10.4.6 and Finder to drag-and-drop copy an .rtf (or a .webloc or a shell script)
over to an external... dates are being perfectly preserved. What's 'wrong' with that?
-HI-

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2006, 12:48 AM

Not a matter of being 'proper', just the design choices inherent in each of the file systems. OS X uses HFS+, OS 9 and before were HFS.
Nope, that's incorrect. HFS+ was compatible with OS 8.1 and all releases subsequent thereto - it just was not the required format until OS X.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

suthercd
Senior User
Jun 13, 2006, 11:07 AM

Big Mac,

Thanks for the correction.

C-

finboy  (op)
Jun 13, 2006, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Hal Itosis
Fascinating.

Then, can either of you explain why my Mac behaves "incorrectly" ?

Using 10.4.6 and Finder to drag-and-drop copy an .rtf (or a .webloc or a shell script)
over to an external... dates are being perfectly preserved. What's 'wrong' with that?
Weird.

finboy  (op)
Jun 14, 2006, 03:34 PM

Weird.
It's really strange. When I copy files to a folder on the desktop, OS X doesn't change the creation/mod dates. It's only when I try to burn a CD or copy to an external drive that it screws things up.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2006, 12:53 AM

> When I copy files to a folder on the desktop, OS X doesn't change the creation/mod dates.
> It's only when I try to burn a CD or copy to an external drive that it screws things up.
Is that external formatted as HFS+ ("Mac OS Extended") ?
-HI-

finboy  (op)
Jun 15, 2006, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Hal Itosis
Is that external formatted as HFS+ ("Mac OS Extended") ?
In some cases, yes, but in some cases, no, they're formatted to DOS or Windows for cross-platform use.

Forum Links
Forum Rules