Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning?

View Poll Results: Which do you have? (Choose only ONE. Includes stand-alones and game consoles.)
Poll Options:
HD DVD 34 votes (17.09%)
Blu-ray 87 votes (43.72%)
Both 14 votes (7.04%)
Neither 70 votes (35.18%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll
Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning? (Page 150)
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 29, 2008, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
If you don't know, why are you here?
I brought the salsa and chips.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2008, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
My universal remote was more expensive than a PS3. So, yes, I care.
Does anyone know if there is a way to use a USB-to-IR box on the PS3? Something like a USBUIRT?

I've long since converted all my old IR equipment to use an RF extender so I could stash everything in an AV closet out of site and still control it. Seems there should be some way to add IR to the PS3.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 1, 2008, 01:51 AM

You can add IR to the PS3 very easily. Just search back in this thread. The only caveat is that you can't turn on the machine using IR, and the number of usable commands will be less than if using the bluetooth remote.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2008, 02:03 AM

Royal Philips Electronics - Pronto

It's not bad at all, and the damned thing can be programmed for just about anything... except bluetooth.
So can an $60 harmony remote.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2008, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
You can add IR to the PS3 very easily. Just search back in this thread.
Ah, thought that must be the case. I hadn't been looking at the other 149 pages of this this thread lately, so I missed any prior mention.

The only caveat is that you can't turn on the machine using IR, and the number of usable commands will be less than if using the bluetooth remote.
Some ultra-expensive remote should be able to trigger a WOL command from something it can control to power on the PS3. Any crappy old PocketPC used as a universal remote certainly can. As long as the basic remote functions can be made to work, I don't quite see what the big gripe about PS3 IR is.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2008, 04:21 AM

Here are 2 options for IR with the PS3.

http://www.schmartz.com/main.sc
http://www.nyko.com/nyko/products/?i=113

I use the Nyko with my Harmony 890 and it works fine. You have to enter some of the settings manually, but it works. I can't power off and on the system, but I have to put the disc in anayway to play a movie, so it's not a big eal for me.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2008, 01:33 PM

Don't bother the PS3 could have IR tomorrow and there would be some other lame excuse as to why they don't want it.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2008, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
So can an $60 harmony remote.
That's a serious piece of **** compared to the TSU9400. It would have too few features for my needs, especially all my custom menus and 802.11.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2008, 02:51 PM

That's a serious piece of **** compared to the TSU9400. It would have too few features for my needs, especially all my custom menus and 802.11.
So are you telling us that you are a typical consumer eh?

I think you have more money than sense.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2008, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
So are you telling us that you are a typical consumer eh?

I think you have more money than sense.
No, I'm saying that I like Pronto remotes. I've used them for many, many years and I'm especially fond of the ability to create my own custom menus. Is that more clear?

As for "more money than sense", I don't usually pay too much attention to price if it's something I truly want. *shrug*
- Thomas Paine

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2008, 04:04 PM

No, I'm saying that I like Pronto remotes. I've used them for many, many years and I'm especially fond of the ability to create my own custom menus. Is that more clear?

As for "more money than sense", I don't usually pay too much attention to price if it's something I truly want. *shrug*
I have a harmony 880 (I can make lots of custom menus also) which is great and I am sure yours is also but I am not letting a stupid remote from stopping me from getting a PS3.

And for the money you paid you should have bluetooth in your remote.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2008, 06:09 PM

... It would have too few features for my needs,....
Needs? Really? Needs?

No, ...I don't usually pay too much attention to price if it's something I truly want.*
Oh, Wants! That's better. But since when did anyone ever need OR want menus on a remote control? I think it's bad enough having buttons on them! I guess I'm getting old already, when I was a kid I actually WAS the remote control for my dad!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2008, 07:10 PM

This argument is totally void since you can use the PS3 controller to remote control BluRay playback.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2008, 07:32 PM

Hoodwinked: Apple Falls 601 Movies Short of February Promise

"Now that February is over, a "Power Search" on iTunes reveals that only 399 rentals are available.
All in all, that's 601 movies short of their 1,000 title promise. As for "100 titles in stunning HD," Apple fell short here as well, but they at least came close offering 91 films that meet the standard (however, many of those films are not actually in 5.1 surround)."

Lovely.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 1, 2008, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
This argument is totally void since you can use the PS3 controller to remote control BluRay playback.
I don't think you're understanding what the issue here actually is. The PS3 controller pretty much sucks as a remote control, which is why Sony offers the Bluetooth remote. However, the Bluetooth remote uses Bluetooth rather than IR, which is what most remotes use, and this makes it impossible (without adding a USB IR adapter, anyway) to integrate the PS3 into a home theater system that is controlled by a single, unified remote control.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2008, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
Needs? Really? Needs?
needs, wants, same thing.

Oh, Wants! That's better. But since when did anyone ever need OR want menus on a remote control? I think it's bad enough having buttons on them! I guess I'm getting old already, when I was a kid I actually WAS the remote control for my dad!
I like the menus, makes for a clean interface. Also, Sarra is a spaz with technology, so I made custom menus for her with large, easy to read buttons. It automates everything for her.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2008, 07:47 PM

Why would I want to fiddle with more than one remote? Kinda defeats the purpose of a universal remote.
- Thomas Paine

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2008, 07:49 PM

Does your "wonder-remote" have analogue sticks? Or a motion sensor? You need the PS3 controller anyway, so you can just simply use it for BluRay playback.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2008, 07:54 PM

Does your "wonder-remote" have analogue sticks? Or a motion sensor? You need the PS3 controller anyway, so you can just simply use it for BluRay playback.
That's why my PS3 is hooked to my TV in the game room, not my HT.
- Thomas Paine

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 1, 2008, 08:07 PM

Are you being purposely obtuse?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2008, 08:24 PM

Are you being purposely obtuse?
I think he's assuming that most people watch movies on the TVs that their PS3s are attached to, which is usually correct.
- Thomas Paine

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 1, 2008, 08:30 PM

But the whole argument here is about how to use the PS3 with a universal remote. How is using the PS3 controller the solution for that?

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2008, 10:51 PM

But the whole argument here is about how to use the PS3 with a universal remote. How is using the PS3 controller the solution for that?
He's saying that you can't use your Universal Remote for a PS3 anyway because you're going to need the PS3 controller for gaming, so there is no need for the argument.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2008, 10:56 PM

No, I'm saying even if you could use an universal remote, you would still need to have the PS3 controller lying around for games. So you can simply use it for BluRay playback as well.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2008, 11:55 PM

That's what I just said.

climber
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2008, 12:10 AM

No, I'm saying even if you could use an universal remote, you would still need to have the PS3 controller lying around for games. So you can simply use it for BluRay playback as well.
You could also "simply" use one remote for the LCD display, one for the Sat receiver, one for the apple TV, one for the receiver, one for the DVD player, and then one more for the PS3... but then that would be far from simple now wouldn't it.

Some people like to have one remote that can control both the volume and the playback features. It is also very convenient to press one button and have everything set via macros.

As a game machine, the PS3 does not need a IR remote. It works fine the way it is. It even makes some sense in a simple setup with just an LCD display. But if Sony truly had aspirations for it to be integrated into home theater setups as a media center, then it needs full Infrared capabilities. I would never purchase a component for my setup that did not even have discrete power functions (separate IR commands for power on and off) let alone not even have IR.
climber

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2008, 04:06 AM

Why does every argument in this thread seem to devolve into multiple compounded misunderstandings? No wonder this thing has gone on 150 pages.

Tetenal does make a good point- unless you buy a PS3 to use ONLY as a bluray player, and not as a gaming platform, you ARE going to have a gaming controller laying around somewhere in addition to whatever other remote(s). Unless, of course, you've got some uni-friggen-versal do-it-all that's also a PS3 game controller.

This is true whether you're talking about your den, your living room, your home theater room, or wherever your PS3 is, hooked up to whatever equipment. If a device that's already present and accounted for can control bluray too- then gee, guess maybe one could break the "one device and only one device to control everything, so help me God" rule long enough to watch a movie.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 2, 2008, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
Why does every argument in this thread seem to devolve into multiple compounded misunderstandings? No wonder this thing has gone on 150 pages.
Because this is the Internet.

Tetenal does make a good point- unless you buy a PS3 to use ONLY as a bluray player, and not as a gaming platform, you ARE going to have a gaming controller laying around somewhere in addition to whatever other remote(s). Unless, of course, you've got some uni-friggen-versal do-it-all that's also a PS3 game controller.

This is true whether you're talking about your den, your living room, your home theater room, or wherever your PS3 is, hooked up to whatever equipment. If a device that's already present and accounted for can control bluray too- then gee, guess maybe one could break the "one device and only one device to control everything, so help me God" rule long enough to watch a movie.
Speaking of misunderstandings... Look, I have nothing against using the PS3 controller per se (even though it is atrocious for controlling movies, it'll do in a pinch). I also have nothing against the Bluetooth remote -- that's what I use, in fact. I personally have no need for IR on the PS3, since I don't use a universal remote. However, I do understand that some people have needs that are different from my own. We were discussing options that those people might use to integrate the PS3 into their home theater systems.

Given this background, do you think "why don't you just use the PS3 controller?" contributes to the discussion?

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2008, 05:45 AM

Given this background, do you think "why don't you just use the PS3 controller?" contributes to the discussion?
Yes, because in a nutshell, the point being made was: you're already using the PS3 controller anyway. So, given that, it's not really that big of a deal to use it briefly for a different function.No, It doesn't negate the argument for IR, but it is a pretty damned good point.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2008, 09:38 AM

I have a PS3 that I've never played games on (unless you count trying to control the movies with joysticks as a game) but I do love the Bluetooth remote. I think the real question is "why don't my TV and Stereo and Cablebox have Bluetooth", not "why doesn't my PS3 have IR". Are there any BlueTooth universal remotes yet? It's so much nicer.... no more freaking pointing at the system, trying to aim around the coffee table and my feet and the dog, guessing which way the beam will refract thru the glass bowl and bounce off the mirror. Stop insisting that the PS3 use the backwards 90's technology of your $500 universal remote and insist that everything else come into the modern era.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2008, 10:23 AM

I have a PS3 that I've never played games on (unless you count trying to control the movies with joysticks as a game) but I do love the Bluetooth remote. I think the real question is "why don't my TV and Stereo and Cablebox have Bluetooth", not "why doesn't my PS3 have IR". Are there any BlueTooth universal remotes yet? It's so much nicer.... no more freaking pointing at the system, trying to aim around the coffee table and my feet and the dog, guessing which way the beam will refract thru the glass bowl and bounce off the mirror. Stop insisting that the PS3 use the backwards 90's technology of your $500 universal remote and insist that everything else come into the modern era.
Considering the standard is IR, it makes no sense to complain that all other devices don't have bluetooth. Sony could've very easily added the $1 part to the PS3 to ensure compatibility with *current* home theater setups while still keeping the bluetooth for future setups.

I do hope bluetooth catches on, but this was such a stupid move on Sony's part. I'd much rather have the IR port than a freaking card reader.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2008, 08:53 PM

Hey Eug. Hit me up with some new excuses to not getting a PS3 please.

Confirmed to work perfect with Harmony remotes

Without on/off:
http://schmartz.com/product.sc?categoryId=1&productId=2

With:
Eclectic Gadgets and Fun Technology

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2008, 09:01 PM

Without on/off:
http://schmartz.com/product.sc?categoryId=1&productId=2

With:
$50 for a hardware hack with wires sticking out? No thanks.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2008, 09:07 PM

This will do on and off and without a wired connection. It is a BT enabled IR receiver and just converts IR commands to BT commands.

IR2BT - InfraRed to BlueTooth Converter for the PS3
Youtube vid
YouTube - IR2BT - Video #1 First Short Intro

It isn't out yet but looks to be the most promising adapter. I thought I found it here but now I don't see it linked so maybe I was dreaming?

edit:added tube
( Last edited by Teronzhul; Mar 2, 2008 at 09:14 PM. )

climber
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2008, 10:40 PM

The PS3 still lacks support for DTS-HD MA. That is a big one in my book.
climber

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2008, 11:35 PM

lacks support for WHAT???

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2008, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by climber View Post
Big deal. It still supports the DTS core track at 1.5 MBits/sec.
--
Aristotle

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2008, 01:32 AM

lacks support for WHAT???
It's not fully buzzword compliant.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2008, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
It's not fully buzzword compliant.
LAWL!

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2008, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by climber View Post
Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
Big deal. It still supports the DTS core track at 1.5 MBits/sec.
And I don't have the money to buy a 7.1 HDMI 1.3 compliant AVR any time soon. $$$$!
45/47

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2008, 03:32 AM

$50 for a hardware hack with wires sticking out? No thanks.
Well some people here paid $100+ just for the Wifi adapter for the Xbox.

Next.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2008, 09:43 AM

The #1 title on the hidef charts is American Gangster on HDDVD, beating out other Blu-ray titles. What?!!
Heh.

Without on/off:

With:
I think aS must suffer great pain when people simply aren't interested in buying the PS3.

Get it through your head aS: I DON'T WANT A PS3. Deal with it.

Adding a HALF-ASSED HACK doesn't make me want it any more either.

P.S. If you stop telling us why the PS3 is the greatest thing since sliced bread and that we must buy it, then I'll stop repeating to you that I DON'T WANT A PS3.
( Last edited by Eug; Mar 3, 2008 at 09:53 AM. )

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2008, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
And I don't have the money to buy a 7.1 HDMI 1.3 compliant AVR any time soon. $$$$!
Uh.... The PS3 passes through the 1.5 MBits track through optical if you have the PS3 set to output bitstream to my non-HDMI 5.1 receiver.
--
Aristotle

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2008, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Teronzhul View Post
This will do on and off and without a wired connection. It is a BT enabled IR receiver and just converts IR commands to BT commands.

IR2BT - InfraRed to BlueTooth Converter for the PS3
Youtube vid
YouTube - IR2BT - Video #1 First Short Intro

It isn't out yet but looks to be the most promising adapter. I thought I found it here but now I don't see it linked so maybe I was dreaming?

edit:added tube
This looks interesting but it's again just one more boxy thing to put in ones HT, and only for the purpose of allowing remote control of the PS3 while playing Blu-ray discs. Personally, I use my PS3 primarily for Blu-ray in my HT, have a Harmony 880 remote and PS3 BT remote, and don't find it nearly as inconvenient as a lot of people seem to. I turn on my HT with the Harmony and then turn on the PS3 with the BT remote (or load up a disc to start it up). Sit back and press "Play" on the PS3 BT remote and control everything else with the Harmony. Not that big of a deal IMO, especially considering you will probably only need to Pause or Stop the Blu-ray playback a couple times (if that) while watching a movie. One thing I don't like - the PS3 BT remote is not lighted. It's a pain in the ass to stop and start playback in the dark using that thing...

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2008, 01:40 PM

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2008, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Get it through your head aS: I DON'T WANT A PS3. Deal with it.

Adding a HALF-ASSED HACK doesn't make me want it any more either.
I know you don't want one I just want to know what the new excuse would be.
And that hack seems like a whole assed one.

Please don't act all upset that you have to repeat that you don't want one cuz it was your fav thing to do until a couple pages ago until someone called you on it

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2008, 01:45 PM

I know you don't want one I just want to know what the new excuse would be.
Don't need an excuse. I DON'T WANT A PS3.

However, a $400 player with no true IR support is a pretty good reason not to get one.

And that hack seems like a whole assed one.
I dunno. Running wires on the outside of your $400 machine (plus extra for the half-assed hack) doesn't seem like an elegant solution.

Please don't act all upset that you have to repeat that you don't want one cuz it was your fav thing to do until a couple pages ago until someone called you on it
Hey, I'll be happy to repeat myself then.

I DON'T WANT A PS3.

Oh and I'll continue to say so as long you keep pimping that damn PS3. And just for repetitiveness' sake:

I'll buy a Blu-ray player when a half-decent Profile 1.1 player is available for $200. I've been saying that for about a YEAR now, but somehow you still don't get it.

Seeing the potential 2.0 support of the BDP-S350 will make me consider it for $250 though... if it doesn't suck.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 3, 2008, 01:51 PM

Analogue Sprinkles, Eug doesn't want a PS3, so stop baiting him about it. On the other hand, a lot of people consider them to be good value in that they are both next-gen game systems and HD movies players, and there may be other people reading the thread who might be considering one. So there's nothing wrong with bringing up articles like the one about the IR hack. Just don't mention Eug when you do it, because it always leads to the same thing.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2008, 01:54 PM

I don't want the IR adapter with the wires. My friend who doesn't want a PS3 for the same IR reason is now getting one because of this IR device. He made a good point that he doesn't need the one with the On/Off abilities as you have to get off your ass to put a movie in anyway which also turns it on. So one tiny device that sits in a USB port is hardly a half assed hack.

And speaking off half assed hacks.... I remember a certain someone who dropped $60 to add powerline networking to the xbox 360 which turned out to suck and had to drop another $120 for microsofts rip-off Wifi adapter

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2008, 01:56 PM

Analogue Sprinkles, Eug doesn't want a PS3, so stop baiting him about it. On the other hand, a lot of people consider them to be good value in that they are both next-gen game systems and HD movies players, and there may be other people reading the thread who might be considering one. So there's nothing wrong with bringing up articles like the one about the IR hack. Just don't mention Eug when you do it, because it always leads to the same thing.
I don't care if he wants one or not. I don't get a cut of the sales.

Eug has taken any opportunity to point out the PS3 sucks because it doesn't have IR if anyone ask him (or bait as you put it) or not.

Now that the IR thing is solved I was interested in knowing what the new excuse would be. I guess stomping your feet saying "I don't wanna" will have to do

Forum Links
Forum Rules