Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Minor Android bug

Minor Android bug
moep
Senior User
Nov 8, 2008, 08:21 AM

… ok, maybe not so minor.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=680
http://android.jim.sh/index.php/ConsoleShell

When the phone booted it started up a command shell as root and sent every keystroke you ever typed on the keyboard from then on to that shell. Thus every word you typed, in addition to going to the foreground application would be silently and invisibly interpreted as a command and executed with superuser privileges. Wow!

In the bug report (issue 1207) jdhorvat writes:

Funny story behind finding this:

I was in the middle of a text conversation with my girl when she asked why I hadn’t responded. I had just rebooted my phone and the first thing I typed was a response to her text which simply stated “Reboot” - which, to my surprise, rebooted my phone.
( Last edited by moep; Nov 8, 2008 at 04:16 PM. Reason: was supposed to be a quote, sorry.)
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Rumor
Nov 8, 2008, 08:31 AM

When the phone booted it started up a command shell as root and sent every keystroke you ever typed on the keyboard from then on to that shell. Thus every word you typed, in addition to going to the foreground application would be silently and invisibly interpreted as a command and executed with superuser privileges. Wow!

In the bug report (issue 1207) jdhorvat writes:

Funny story behind finding this:

I was in the middle of a text conversation with my girl when she asked why I hadn’t responded. I had just rebooted my phone and the first thing I typed was a response to her text which simply stated “Reboot” - which, to my surprise, rebooted my phone.
Ug, why did you post it in code tags?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2008, 11:35 PM

Type "rm -rf /"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2008, 11:51 PM

I wrote some iPhone software and the publisher wants me to look at doing a Windows Mobile and Android port.

So far Android looks to be a mess, and would be even harder to port to than to Windows Mobile. The iPhone is honestly the best platform to write for at this point.

(In summary, I'm not a big fan of Android, despite the claims that it's better for developers.)
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2008, 10:56 AM

the middle of a text conversation? wtf?
we don't have time to stop for gas

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2008, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
I wrote some iPhone software and the publisher wants me to look at doing a Windows Mobile and Android port.

So far Android looks to be a mess, and would be even harder to port to than to Windows Mobile. The iPhone is honestly the best platform to write for at this point.

(In summary, I'm not a big fan of Android, despite the claims that it's better for developers.)
That's always been pretty obvious. The iPhone is the best program to write for with the worst developer program.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules