Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Dragging images from Firefox to Finder causes very weird behavior in Finder

Dragging images from Firefox to Finder causes very weird behavior in Finder
Ham Sandwich
Dec 2, 2011, 11:07 PM

Greetings.
This has been an issue with me for the past two months with Firefox, versions 5-8.

If I want to drag any image from Firefox to some place in a folder inside the Finder (I use multi-column view for quick folder navigation all the time), I will get very erratic results as follows:

[1] About 50% of the time, dragging and dropping the image works as normal.
[2] About 20% of the time, dragging and dropping the image into one of the columns causes Finder to crash. My Finder windows reappear but with the image also present in the window.
[3] About 20% of the time, dragging and dropping the image will cause the image to just remain suspended for between 2-10 seconds as a semi-transparent image.
[3a] If it's 2 seconds, then the image transfers successfully, but then any other sequential image that I drag and then drop over the Finder window, upon releasing the mouse/trackpad button, displays an animation that "returns" the sequential image back to the Firefox window. I have to restart Finder manually to restore normal functionality.
[3b] If it's closer to 10 seconds, then usually the image is not transferred, and I have to restart the Finder as described in [3a] to restore normal functionality.
[4] About 10% of the time, dragging the image to an upper or lower side of the Finder window (with scrollbars present) will cause the window to scroll up or down respectively, indefinitely, even after I release the mouse/trackpad button, and the image will remain hovering the Finder window as the Finder window scrolls all the way to one end of the folder. I then have to restart the Finder.

I can't tell if this is a problem with Firefox or the Finder (I presume it's the Finder since it's been essentially broken for 8 years and Apple keeps making it buggier with every version), so why are these drag-and-drop problems happening????

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2011, 04:03 PM

Finder is not buggy, maybe you are still running Leopard before it was re written?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2011, 04:27 PM

One of the reasons I gave up on Firefox very quickly is because drag and drop was broken in that particular version.

Cross-platform means ideal on none.

ibook_steve
Dec 4, 2011, 08:59 PM

Is it just from Firefox? I'd worry about a hard disk issue. Try repairing permissions and running first aid.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Ham Sandwich
Dec 5, 2011, 07:40 PM

Well apparently it's happening only in Firefox but not Safari.

By first aid do you mean Disk Utility > Verify Disk? Because I get no errors.

I've done repair permissions from the Terminal before and I always receive like 10 messages about wrong permissions each time (usually with iTunes), and they usually don't go away.

I did repair permissions again and just received something about Java permissions being off.

I also tried disabling weird Firefox extensions and the themes, but that didn't fix the problem either.

So now what else should I try?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 04:03 AM

A different browser.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 27, 2012, 05:30 AM

Greetings. I am unable to delete my posts, and apparently you moderators are on some kind of a strike.

Therefore, I have removed the content of the original post by hand.

I am asking for this post to be deleted, since I don't seem to have the option to do that myself.

Thorzdad
Jul 27, 2012, 07:30 AM

If this just happens in Firefox, it's more likely Firefox's fault.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2012, 04:10 AM

The Finder should not crash, even when it is Firefox that's doing something unusual.

It could help to see a crash log. Maybe it is a buggy contextual menu item extension (if Mountain Lion still has those, I'm not sure).

Ham Sandwich
Jul 28, 2012, 01:31 PM

Greetings. I am unable to delete my posts, and apparently you moderators are on some kind of a strike.

Therefore, I have removed the content of the original post by hand.

I am asking for this post to be deleted, since I don't seem to have the option to do that myself.

Forum Links
Forum Rules