Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How so you decide 16 or 32 gb?

How so you decide 16 or 32 gb?
HamSandwich
Nov 16, 2013, 10:27 AM

Well, the title says it all, friends...

Should I get s new iPhone with 16 or 32 gb? I want to put all my music on it, I want to take photos and I would use it for emailing to etc. I don't know how it works, if you really need to save so much on it, maybe not...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2013, 10:57 AM

Get as much as you can afford.

I have never regretted maxing out the space, but I have often regretted NOT doing it.

-t

ibook_steve
Nov 16, 2013, 01:54 PM

I had an 8 GB iPod Touch a few years back and it drove me nuts since I love to download apps. So when I got my 4S, I went right to 32. My 5S will be 32 as well.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2013, 03:04 PM

Another vote for "max you can afford".

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2013, 03:20 PM

16GB wasn't enough for music and a few movies and apps, 32GB is unavailable, so I went for 64GB

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2013, 06:05 PM

You know, I don't have any music, movies, or podcasts. I'd consider myself pretty svelte in the app department: 136 total.

That's almost 12 GB right there. The 16 GB model is gimped IMO.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 17, 2013, 08:00 AM

I too am in the "more is better" corner. While I've found that my 16GB iPhone 4S sort of forces me to pay attention to what apps I've downloaded that I really use, there are some apps that take a lot of room that I have had concerns about being able to use effectively because of the amount of free space I have. When I move up to the 5S, I'm looking very hard at a maxed out model. Similarly, when I finally move up from my iPad 2, its replacement will have a lot more storage than the 16GB I have.

I've already found this to be useful; we replaced my wife's first gen iPad with a Retina iPad Mini with 32GB for her "I only really want a great e-reader but..." uses. (Yeah, she does a lot more than just read on it.) With her first gen iPad, she was having to move books around now and then to be able to download more books. Now she doesn't have to do that, or other compromises in how she uses the device.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 20, 2013, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
The 16 GB model is gimped IMO.
I tend to agree. There's certainly a subsection of users who will be just fine with 16GB, but if you really want to get the most of your phone you'll probably find it limiting. Still, it's better than the 4GB that I was forced to live with for a while with the original iPhone! (That was all I could get at the time.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules