Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Desktop Folder Labels

Desktop Folder Labels
Ralph Tomaccio
Nov 18, 2014, 12:16 PM

Granted, this is a minor issue but, if possible to change, I would like to.

I have a nice photographic desktop image that has a white border. In this border I will sometimes have a couple of folders and an icon for my computer drive as well as an external hard drive. The issue I have is that all the names of these items are white in color with a subtle drop shadow that is hard to read. I have looked everywhere and cannot find any setting where I can change this to a simple black type, as are all the other files and folders within any other folder. Is there some way to change this? Thanks!

reader50
Administrator
Nov 18, 2014, 01:57 PM

Select one of the items. Then go to File -> Label (bottom of menu) -> select a color.

btw, posting an email address in your signature will draw an amazing amount of spam. Like all popular forums, we are regularly browsed by email harvesting spiders. Expect great deals.

Ralph Tomaccio  (op)
Nov 18, 2014, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Select one of the items. Then go to File -> Label (bottom of menu) -> select a color.

btw, posting an email address in your signature will draw an amazing amount of spam. Like all popular forums, we are regularly browsed by email harvesting spiders. Expect great deals.
I don't show "Label" under "File" anywhere with a folder selected. If it makes a difference, I'm using Yosemite.

Thanks for pointing out the email in the signature. That must be an automatic thing when an account is created as I don't remember intentionally setting a signature up. If so, you may want to check and see if there are settings on your end that prevents this from automatically happening.
( Last edited by Ralph Tomaccio; Nov 18, 2014 at 03:03 PM. )

reader50
Administrator
Nov 18, 2014, 03:12 PM

You must have set the sig sometime in the last 15 years - new accounts come up with no sig. We don't show account emails anywhere.

What you're looking for are Finder Labels. I don't have Yosemite to test on, they were in the File menu at least up to Mountain Lion. Try right-clicking on the icon, then see if the Label color menu appears.

Ralph Tomaccio  (op)
Nov 18, 2014, 03:54 PM

Here's the File Menu in Yosemite:

And here is the Show View Options when right clicking on the folder:

There is no option to select the text color of folder text in either location. The other odd thing is that if I place a desktop folder into any other folder, the label text will turn black. When any folder already within a folder is brought to the desktop, the label text will turn white.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 18, 2014, 04:01 PM

See the "Tags" colors at the bottom of the File menu? Those change the background color behind file/folder names. Looks like Apple renamed Labels to Tags.

And by right-clicking, I meant the context menu itself.

Ralph Tomaccio  (op)
Nov 18, 2014, 04:10 PM

I already tried Tags and this is what it does:

It just adds the colored dot, but it does not change text color. And right clicking on the folder and selecting Tags does the same thing.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 18, 2014, 04:25 PM

Apparently Apple took away the background color labels with Mavericks, changing them to the Tags dots. Which no one seems to like.

Some solutions have been offered by 3rd parties.

Ralph Tomaccio  (op)
Nov 18, 2014, 04:47 PM

The links you provided discuss the background color of folder labels which is not what I'm looking for. I'm simply looking for the text within the label to be black with a transparent background. I would like the folders to look like this:

This is what the folders within a folder look like. I would like desktop folders to look the same as these.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 18, 2014, 07:16 PM

I don't know a solution for text color. You could try TinkerTool, which has a Fonts tab. In that tab, you can apparently change the system font, including a color selector (set to white when I checked). I haven't tried it, certainly not under Yosemite, and changing the system font color might have effects beyond the Finder. Test with caution.

I was suggesting a background color, since it used to be easy, and would make white text legible at all times.

While less satisfactory, you could also give each folder on the desktop a custom icon. Perhaps even put the folder name in the icon. This would work if only certain folders are on the Desktop.

Forum Links
Forum Rules