Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Boogeyman is back! Militia is gonna get ya!

Boogeyman is back! Militia is gonna get ya!
finboy
Feb 24, 2011, 12:17 AM

SPLC is in the news today with a report about how militia groups are growing! Head for the hills!!!!!!

I just wish that they didn't have such a huge, gaping agenda behind this. It would be nice to see some actual facts once in a while.

I wonder: do they discuss the militias that were trying to keep people from voting during the last two elections? Do those people in PA count?

If the ruling party decides to start running everything on a unilateral basis (circa 2006), does that drive people to organize these type of groups (if they actually do exist)?

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
SPLC is in the news today with a report about how militia groups are growing! Head for the hills!!!!!!

I just wish that they didn't have such a huge, gaping agenda behind this. It would be nice to see some actual facts once in a while.

I wonder: do they discuss the militias that were trying to keep people from voting during the last two elections? Do those people in PA count?

If the ruling party decides to start running everything on a unilateral basis (circa 2006), does that drive people to organize these type of groups (if they actually do exist)?
With a country who made the choice to elect a black president and a population who largely shuns those who practice irrational bigotry, the SPLC has to find something to keep itself relevant. It is struggling, indeed.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2011, 08:06 AM

There's always a big rise in militia groups whenever SPLC is trying to raise money.

-t

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2011, 05:12 PM

What the hell happened in 2006?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2011, 05:20 PM

You're so right, finboy et al. SPLC did good work in the past but became a joke years ago.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2011, 02:27 PM

I just wish that they didn't have such a huge, gaping agenda behind this.
What "agenda" is that? You do realize this is what the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) does as a matter of course? And you also realize that the SPLC releases a report like this every year?

The Southern Poverty Law Center is dedicated to fighting hate and bigotry, and to seeking justice for the most vulnerable members of our society. Using litigation, education and other forms of advocacy, we work toward the day when the ideals of equal justice and equal opportunity will be a reality.

We employ a three-pronged strategy to battle racial and social injustice:

- We track the activities of hate groups and domestic terrorists across America, and we launch innovative lawsuits that seek to destroy networks of radical extremists.

- We use the courts and other forms of advocacy to win systemic reforms on behalf of victims of bigotry and discrimination.

- We provide educators with free resources that teach school children to reject hate, embrace diversity and respect differences.
What we do | Southern Poverty Law Center

It would be nice to see some actual facts once in a while.
Indeed the article itself was light on facts. It could have at least had a link to the report or something. But if you were truly interested in the details they are quite easy to find.

The Year in Hate & Extremism, 2010 | Southern Poverty Law Center

Active ‘Patriot’ Groups in the United States in 2010 | Southern Poverty Law Center

Nativist Extremist Groups 2010 | Southern Poverty Law Center

You mean like this?

New Black Panther Party | Southern Poverty Law Center

Malik Zulu Shabazz | Southern Poverty Law Center

Hey ... I'm just saying.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Feb 25, 2011 at 02:37 PM. )

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2011, 08:01 PM

At least the SPLC calls the modern slave trade what it is- the modern slave trade.

Tragically, human trafficking has become a tool of the trade for unscrupulous labor recruiters and employers [and liberal politicians and their suck-ups]. The scenario often follows the same pattern – a labor recruiter promises well-paying jobs, citizenship and other opportunities to a potential worker. The rewards are so great the worker borrows thousands of dollars to pay the labor recruiter’s fees for this amazing opportunity.

But when the worker arrives in the United States, the promises are broken. The pay is less than what was promised. Citizenship was never a possibility. But the mountain of debt and the threat of deportation are real.

And that’s enough to keep human trafficking victims silent and working.
Of course, I doubt I and they would agree on the real solution to it- which is arresting the traffikers and cheating businesses involved, enforcing our laws, stopping idiot liberal politicians from being the biggest danglers of carrots constantly inviting in more slaves with the biggest false promises, and ending the charade of '$80 heads of lettuce unless everyone looks the other way!" bullshit that keeps it all going.

But, at least they call a spade a spade- it's all part of the most modern form of slavery. It's highly ironic to me that in this day and age, 'fighting' slavery for many so called- "civil rights groups" is most often some form of figuring out how to make it even easier and less of a stigma attached for the largest perpetrators of it. Imagine 1800's abolitionists actually making the 'argument' that "Unless you look the other way for this, you won't be able to afford cotton and tobacco! The slave owners are just looking to decrease the price of goods, not make tons of money for themselves! Toiling in the fields is just a job Americans won't do! If you're against people exploiting illegal labor coaxed or forced in from outside the country, you're racist and anti-immigrant!"

Man, how things change.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2011, 09:05 PM

You know Crash … I actually agree with about 95% of what you said there. Imagine that.

OAW

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2011, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
But, at least they call a spade a spade- it's all part of the most modern form of slavery. It's highly ironic to me that in this day and age, 'fighting' slavery for many so called- "civil rights groups" is most often some form of figuring out how to make it even easier and less of a stigma attached for the largest perpetrators of it. Imagine 1800's abolitionists actually making the 'argument' that "Unless you look the other way for this, you won't be able to afford cotton and tobacco! The slave owners are just looking to decrease the price of goods, not make tons of money for themselves! Toiling in the fields is just a job Americans won't do! If you're against people exploiting illegal labor coaxed or forced in from outside the country, you're racist and anti-immigrant!"

Man, how things change.
ebuddy

Forum Links
Forum Rules