Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > When does it make sense to upgrade from iBook to iBook?

When does it make sense to upgrade from iBook to iBook?
pinkoos
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2004, 02:49 PM

Hi,

I currently have an iBook G3 900 (Microcenter deal from last December) with 640 MB RAM/40 GB HDD/Combo drive. Airport card is also installed.

With Apple's release of new iBooks, I'm just wondering if it would make sense for me to upgrade right now. Basically, is it financially justifiable to upgrade to a G4 1.2 GHz with Airport Extreme? I don't know if the 512 MB RAM stick I have in my current iBook would be compatible with the new ones (with my luck, probably not).

Am I going to appreciate much of a speed difference between the two?

I really don't know how much I can reasonably expect to get for my current iBook, but I'm guessing with Apple's prices for 1 Ghz refurbs hovering around $700, I would be lucky to get around $650 or so, I don't know.

Then, the new iBook would cost anywhere from $850 to $1000 depending on the source. I most likely would need to factor in the cost of an additional RAM stick if my current one isn't compatible. So, that may add another $60-$70 to the price.

With all these factors in mind, is it worth it?

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 02:56 PM

For simple application and OS X, probably not. For more complex applications like photoshop and Blender, you probably will. Don't upgrade unless you need to, though. In 6 months there will be better iBooks to choose from.

What do you use your iBook for currently?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 04:27 PM

When things get unbarably slow on your machine, then it's time to start looking around. If I were you, I'd wait till the next iBook upgrade just to see if you could be able to get a book with more VRAM, seeing how that's going to be important in the following OS's.
( Last edited by iREZ; Nov 1, 2004 at 06:00 PM. )
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

pinkoos  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2004, 04:59 PM

Thanks for the thoughts. I think I'm going to wait. I don't use the iBook for anything heavy duty, though we have a baby on the way and I'd like to get into digital video. I really don't think my iBook will be able to handle that.

Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2004, 08:36 PM

Have you thought of getting an emac? You can get a refurb at apple for under $900. If you don't need the mobility and want to do some video editing that might be the way to go.
><> 1 Peter 3:15-16

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2004, 08:45 PM

I have done a few projects for my wife and dvd compressing things of that nature and i havnt had a problem with my iBook If you are wanting to do something with video and keep it portable, and if it will be mostly home movie typ of things I don't think you will have any trouble. It will get the job done just fine I am sure.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 09:56 PM

true dat. It just takes a little more patience.

pinkoos  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2004, 10:14 PM

I think if I were to buy a replacement for the iBook, I'd get either another iBook or Powerbook. However, if I wanted to get something *in addition* to my current iBook, then I would be in the market for an iMac G5 rather than an eMac, though I think the eMacs are great computers (got my dad to get one for himself).

Thanks again.

A Ghost Is Born
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2004, 12:10 AM

if you are happy where you are at, I would wait until the next wave of ibook models. it will that much more of a boost.

iluvmymactoo
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2004, 01:44 AM

I upgraded from a G3 800 Mhz iBook to the Rev C PowerBook 12".

The first PowerBook was returned in 2 days because the slot loading drive couldn't eject the cd, the second one ended up with a great dent in the lid. After spending near $3000 for a PowerBook a dent just ruins it for me. That combined with the heat that radiates from it...whoa! I couldn't even use it on my lap it would get so hot.

I have just purchased the 1.2 Ghz 12" iBook. I took the 1gb of ram out of the PowerBook and put it into my new iBook. it performs just as good as the pBook did IMO. I use it for web design (Macromedia studio mx 2004, PS and Corel Painter IX.

It was a good decision
PowerBook 12" Combo 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 100GB HDD - Yep it's PPC! I'll wait for the 3rd generation MacTel when they're at their best :)

pinkoos  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2004, 09:42 AM

Yeah, I'm afraid of something like that happening. What a bummer!

Originally posted by iluvmymactoo:
I have just purchased the 1.2 Ghz 12" iBook. I took the 1gb of ram out of the PowerBook and put it into my new iBook. it performs just as good as the pBook did IMO. I use it for web design (Macromedia studio mx 2004, PS and Corel Painter IX.

It was a good decision

bluedog
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 10:49 AM

I'll concur. Wait on the upgrade. I have a G3-900 and the G4-1gHz and there is no appreciable difference for day-to-day computing.

I notice a little difference in Halo, but neither is super at that.

For rendering I'm sure the G4 would do better, but you're not talking a lot of clock difference for regular computing. Wait until it hurts since you already have a laptop.

The airport vs. airport extreme means absolutely NOTHING for daily use. Internet connections are slower than your regular airport so you only see a speed increase really when copying from one local computer to another. The regular airport 802.11b has a MUCH better range, too.

That's the only real difference I've noticed from the two I have.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 11:00 AM

I currently have a 500. I'm not buying another iBook. When I'm ready, I'm going for a 12" PowerBook.

jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2004, 01:58 PM

I went from a G3 700mhz to the new G4 1.25ghz and there IS a difference... particularly in gaming ability. Things like the optimization process when you do a software update takes a tenth of the time the 700mhz did.... heck, even startup is better... in fact, it's faster in just about everything than my friend's 867mhz 12" powerbook.... and a lot cooler on my lap. Oh, and no dings/dents to worry about.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
When things get unbarably slow on your machine, then it's time to start looking around. If I were you, I'd wait till the next iBook upgrade just to see if you could be able to get a book with more VRAM, seeing how that's going to be important in the following OS's.
X2. You would think software would be getting quicker in some aspects and less bloated. Unfortunately this isn't the case and with time it seems the OS and the applications just become more bloated.

pinkoos  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2004, 12:03 PM

Yeah, I'm just going to wait. No rush. Plus my G3 900 is OS 9 bootable (not that I have found any use for that, though).

Forum Links
Forum Rules