Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther

Panther (Page 3)
yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2003, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by scottiB:
YES! FIX THIS! I'm pretty pliable wrt OS X interface and functions, but this drives me nuts to no end.

How do you get logos at the end of your text. Even pictures.

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2003, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by yoyoman:
Was it really cheetah. Honestly.

So 10.0 cheetah
10.1 Puma
10.2 Jaguar
10.3 Pink panther
10.4 what will be next. Sabortooth tiger ?!?
10.5 ?!?!? any Ideas.
10.*
10.99,99 Fat Lazy Domestic Cat
(about 7 yeaars from now)
11 A totally new OS called Rhapsody
11.1 Blues
etc...

So OS X.3 is a totally new OS, like nothing seen before? Doubt it. But it would be nice though. The lifecylce of an OS is about 10-20 years. In between the changing of the paradigm its just patchwork going on.

nagha
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2003, 12:21 AM

except for the pathetic excuse for a Finder, i actually am quite satisfied with 10.2. i haven't been this content with a Mac OS release since 7.1 which i stayed with for several years.

i really hope that the Finder will be overhauled. it sucks. i hope that the rumors of more pervasive threading to take advantage of dual processors is also true. it's pathetic that a modern computer will pause with minor tasks.

better threading alone will make the OS infinitely more "snappy."

na

iconizer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2003, 11:38 PM

Over all, I hope Apple will make available to upload files to an FTP server from the Finder...

wes

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2003, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by iconizer:
Over all, I hope Apple will make available to upload files to an FTP server from the Finder...

wes
and the reason. I think with panther it will make fcp4 even better as well as shake and dvd studio pro 2. What is your thoughts.

yea

TC
Senior User
Apr 8, 2003, 07:46 AM

Final Cut Pro 4:
Product availability is expected in July 2003.

DVD Studio Pro 2:
Product availability is expected in August 2003.

Do these give some clues on when Panther is coming? Neither gives details of which version of X is required to run the software, Final Cut Pro just says you need Quicktime 6.1.

Also, if it comes out less than a year after 10.2 I wouldn't be surprised if it was free.

Finally:
"Originally scheduled for May 19-23 in San Jose, the conference will now be held June 23-27 at San Francisco?s Moscone Center."

What are the chances of Apple just giving us the final version on June 24th? I know this is unlikely with little beta testing but any chance of this happening?
Nothing to see, move along.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2003, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by TC:
Final Cut Pro 4:
Product availability is expected in July 2003.

DVD Studio Pro 2:
Product availability is expected in August 2003.

Do these give some clues on when Panther is coming? Neither gives details of which version of X is required to run the software, Final Cut Pro just says you need Quicktime 6.1.

Also, if it comes out less than a year after 10.2 I wouldn't be surprised if it was free.

Finally:
"Originally scheduled for May 19-23 in San Jose, the conference will now be held June 23-27 at San Francisco?s Moscone Center."

What are the chances of Apple just giving us the final version on June 24th? I know this is unlikely with little beta testing but any chance of this happening?

What do you mean beta testing. its not a whole new OS. ITs just a update to 10.2 duh. They are not rewriting the os. Just adding to it.

cowerd
Senior User
Apr 8, 2003, 12:13 PM

What do you mean beta testing. its not a whole new OS. ITs just a update to 10.2 duh. They are not rewriting the os. Just adding to it.
Don't you think there's just the slightest possiblity that THERE MIGHT BE SOME NEW CODE, and that Apple might want to run it through the usual Q&A procedures.

Duh, just like 10.2 was just an upgrade to 10.1 and Apple certainly didn't beta test 10.2 did they?

Hope to god you're being sarcastic or ironic, cause if you weren't, I think we have a winner here!
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2003, 02:48 PM

I think Apple should do away with FTP in favor of SFTP in the Finder. They ought to do something though, partial FTP in the Finder is a little odd.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2003, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by besson3c:
I think Apple should do away with FTP in favor of SFTP in the Finder. They ought to do something though, partial FTP in the Finder is a little odd.
More good software news from Apple. The new version of OS X, code named "Panther," will take greater advantage of dual processors.
According to barefeats web site. They are usally accurate with there information. Any toughts.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2003, 06:01 PM

thoughts? Well, I'm wondering how SFTP segued into dual processors..

TC
Senior User
Apr 8, 2003, 07:33 PM

Somebody got his kickers in a twist.

10.3 is a major update, Apple go through lots of seeding for minor updates like 10.2.4 which gets seeded to developers to make sure it doesn't break other software for example.

Maybe the term beta testing isn't the exact term which Apple uses but I think most people around here would understand what I was talking about. The main point was whether Apple would release the full thing in June without lots of feedback first from people using the developer version.

Take a chill pill and try to contribute.
Nothing to see, move along.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2003, 08:07 PM

Apple is kind of in a weird spot. So they want to make the computers feel fast on dual processors. But at the same time they don't want too many people's computers to feel much faster because they want people to buy new computers.

The oldest duals are now about 2.5 years old? is that accurate? I'm to lazy to go to apple-history.com. Between 2 and two and a half years old, I think.

Anyway,2.5 years is for a lot of people, time for an upgrade. Jag runs great on my dual 500, but maybe those with the dual 450s, I don't know. I imagine they're comparable.

Anyway, how does Apple improve performance on 2 year old and newer comps, and not on the older, or at least not enough to matter?

I think they should just improve performance overall, and give their g3 users something to be even more loyal about.

Is this even a consideration, do you think?
Am I reaching?

COME ON PPC 970!

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2003, 01:54 AM

FCP4 has nothing to do with panther as of now. Look at the pictures or talk to people that went to NAB they where using 10.2

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2003, 08:12 AM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
Apple is kind of in a weird spot. So they want to make the computers feel fast on dual processors. But at the same time they don't want too many people's computers to feel much faster because they want people to buy new computers.

The oldest duals are now about 2.5 years old? is that accurate? I'm to lazy to go to apple-history.com. Between 2 and two and a half years old, I think.

Anyway,2.5 years is for a lot of people, time for an upgrade. Jag runs great on my dual 500, but maybe those with the dual 450s, I don't know. I imagine they're comparable.

Anyway, how does Apple improve performance on 2 year old and newer comps, and not on the older, or at least not enough to matter?

I think they should just improve performance overall, and give their g3 users something to be even more loyal about.

Is this even a consideration, do you think?
Am I reaching?

COME ON PPC 970!
If you believe the rumour mill, that is exactly what is happening. There won't be that many more hardware upgrades before the PPC970 so people buying new machines is likely to drop in anticipation of the 970 then surge as the prices of the current top of the line models drop. A slow interface isn't enough to get people to upgrade hardware at the moment, a promise that panther will, will tempt them to buy 10.3.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2003, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by ShotgunEd:
If you believe the rumour mill, that is exactly what is happening. There won't be that many more hardware upgrades before the PPC970 so people buying new machines is likely to drop in anticipation of the 970 then surge as the prices of the current top of the line models drop. A slow interface isn't enough to get people to upgrade hardware at the moment, a promise that panther will, will tempt them to buy 10.3.
Apple is probely waiting for the right time to release the new Chip set. When they do hopefully it will be as good as they say it is. Then people will buy it. Probely more people will buy it with this wait. Myabe some new hardware besides the procssor upgrade. maybe usb 2.0 or bluetooth keyboard/mouse. New software maybe.

josiahpugh
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2003, 10:39 AM

Single Window mode! Wheeeeeee!

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2003, 01:51 AM

Originally posted by josiahpugh:
Single Window mode! Wheeeeeee!
10.3 right. Panther. If it is faster and better MP what about for laptops what will it do. Loop rumors said one click amazon. That would be neat. Hopefully more bluetooth. Now with 10.2.5 adressing bluetooth more.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2003, 02:17 AM

Hopefully more of teh snappy!!!111!1! I don't wanna buy **** on Amazon with my OS. At least, I don't care. I'm betting they do some more fancy stuff with Quartz Extreme to help Teh Snappy�. Anything to help Teh Snappy� is a good thing. Faster scrolling, and I'll be happy. It sucks; give me OS 9 scrolling (especially in Photoshop), or give me death. Teh Snappy�.

Oh, and they should remove the finder FTP debug code. [/flog dead horse]

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2003, 03:08 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:

It sucks; give me OS 9 scrolling (especially in Photoshop), or give me death. Teh Snappy�.
OK, you may have death. Before you jump out of the window, would you send me your Mac? Thanks. Have a good flight.

3R1C
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2003, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
Anyway,2.5 years is for a lot of people, time for an upgrade. Jag runs great on my dual 500, but maybe those with the dual 450s, I don't know. I imagine they're comparable
Im currently running a dual g4 450. It runs pretty well. I upgrade whenever apple releases a new chip, so I wont get a new box till g5.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2003, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by 3R1C:
Im currently running a dual g4 450. It runs pretty well. I upgrade whenever apple releases a new chip, so I wont get a new box till g5.
What is this that apple might buy out the music company. Hopefully then aac will work. Since you can't coppy aac excpet on computers. U cant listen to it on cd players so far. Probely when panther comes out the new ipods will as well.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2003, 05:02 AM

Originally posted by GENERAL_SMILEY:
Speaking of BeOS, I'd never really heard of it until recently, but if you want to see a 'snappy' (awful fscking term) OS, then this one seemed pretty quick - It shows four videos playing at once, while encoding MP3s etc...

The video is pretty big (.avi), so broadband only. It interested me enough to think about running it on an old PC when it's released.

video link [large]
HOLY FLURKING SCHNIT!

I would give ANYTHING to play around with that OS for just an hour.

I was considering BeOS as my new OS back when I was trying to escape Windows. At the time it was BeOS 5, that is NOT BeOS 5! That is such a cool OS. I hope Apple has some stuff like that up their sleeves. That video amazed me. If only the video could have been more head on rather than the angle it was at.

Did you notice the neat little effect menus had when you moved to a subitem with that little arm that stretched down or up and attached to the item. That's a neat little touch. And the way the OS looks has always made me happy.

I really hope to se some features like that in OS X soon. I especially liked the Ripping, Encoding and Watching a movie at the same time. That was amazing.

Even Windows can't do most of the stuff in that video.

Where can I get more info on that version? Wish screenshots and everything!

Mohammed Al-Sabah
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2003, 01:23 PM

just hope the panther would have somthing that pc userswould drool about i like seeing pc users drool about things in OSX but the more the better .... we should all do a wish list for things we want to see in OS X and send a huge list to apple!

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2003, 03:03 PM

I'll just send a link to the video and say "I WANT THAT!"

3R1C
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2003, 11:53 PM

This is quasi-off-topic, but I'd really like to see this video. It appears to be in avi format. How does one view avi's on a mac?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2003, 11:56 PM

This is quasi-off-topic, but I'd really like to see this video. It appears to be in avi format. How does one view avi's on a mac?
No problems here, slow connection though.

You might need DIVx.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2003, 04:44 AM

Try MPlayer or VLC - they are both free. They can both do it. If you have something like 1Gb/s broadband you can even stream it without hickups. I have 512kb/s broadband and it dropped some frames so I first downloaded it and then watched it. MPlayer was perfect.

You can find MPlayer here .

And VLC is here .

Have fun!

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2003, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
OK, you may have death. Before you jump out of the window, would you send me your Mac? Thanks. Have a good flight.
They won't have Macs in the afterlife?

Sven G
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2003, 08:12 AM

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 14, 2003, 01:25 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sven G:
[B]

How are you aloud to add a picture at the end.

Amorph
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2003, 01:57 PM

How do you get logos at the end of your text. Even pictures.
Click on the User Center link under the banner ad. Click on Edit Profile. You'll see a box labelled Signature. Click the Submit Modifications button. Whatever you put in the signature will now appear at the bottom of all your posts.

You can put a picture into your signature the same way you'd put one in a post, but it can't be more than 140x40 pixels in size.
James

"I grew up. Then I got better." - Sea Wasp

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2003, 03:47 PM

Please, don't use this thread for asking Forum related questions. Use Private messages or email.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2003, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by Jasoco:
Please, don't use this thread for asking Forum related questions. Use Private messages or email.

why. who cares. If there is quartrs extreem squared or something that would be so rad with 10.3 and actually take better atvantage with grapics card. Better games finally.
Sweet

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2003, 02:40 AM

why. who cares. If there is quartrs extreem squared or something that would be so rad with 10.3 and actually take better atvantage with grapics card. Better games finally.
Sweet

O well. if u view the quick time video they said they got a lot of stuff for the show.

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2003, 05:20 AM

Originally posted by Sven G:
FYI, if you have a Power Mac, you can use USB 2 devices at full speed with, for example, the Orange Micro USB 2 PCI card, which comes with native OS X drivers (downloadable from their web site)...

In the PowerMac forums there is talk that the newer pwermacs already have usb 2, its just the current OS can't support it. I bet 10.3 fixes that.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2003, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by gururafiki:
In the PowerMac forums there is talk that the newer pwermacs already have usb 2, its just the current OS can't support it. I bet 10.3 fixes that.
What about for powerbooks not that any one would need usb2.0 with firewire800 out there. Today with there quicktime stream sounds neat.

Sven G
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2003, 01:49 PM

What about for powerbooks [...]
FYI, here's the Orange Micro CardBus USB 2 card...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

leperkuhn
Senior User
Apr 16, 2003, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
We can already create new folders from the save dialog. And if you want to save with a new name, you just type that in too.
true, but you can't type enter after you type in the name (i haven't tried it under 10.2.5) You have to manually click the OK button.

ryju
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2003, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by leperkuhn:
true, but you can't type enter after you type in the name (i haven't tried it under 10.2.5) You have to manually click the OK button.
I'm positive you can hit return after typing the filename and it works. I don't remember ever having to click on OK when RETURN didn't work.

clf8
Apr 16, 2003, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by dannyillusion:
I want a button in the dock that clears the desktop of windows. Same style as Windows...
Easy, write an Applescript, drop it in the dock.
-Flowers...

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2003, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by dannyillusion:
I want a button in the dock that clears the desktop of windows. Same style as Windows...
"ShowDesktop"

Works WONDERS.

AppleScripts take too long to open. Therefore, they would not be suited to this task.

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2003, 04:15 AM

What about for powerbooks not that any one would need usb2.0 with firewire800 out there. Today with there quicktime stream sounds neat.
When I look at the system profiler, I don't see anything about usb2 on my powerbook.

USB devices are cheaper then firewire devices, and the new powerbooks don't utilize fw800 very well because the hard drive is to slow. So USB 2 would be nice on a powerbook.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2003, 08:24 AM

Originally posted by gururafiki:
and the new powerbooks don't utilize fw800 very well because the hard drive is to slow. So USB 2 would be nice on a powerbook.

If you internal disk is too slow for FW800 it will probably also be too slow for USB2, don't you think?

Metzen
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2003, 01:20 PM

Panther will include auto-power on. FINALLY!!!

I can use my mac as an alarm clock again without leaving it on all night!
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
E. F. Schumacher

snerdini
Senior User
Apr 17, 2003, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by ryju:
I'm positive you can hit return after typing the filename and it works. I don't remember ever having to click on OK when RETURN didn't work.
In my experience, Cocoa apps accept the return, but Carbon apps do not. If you hit return (or enter) in a Carbon app, it just plays the system alert and acts stupid.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2003, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by Metzen:

And how do you know this? And can I see screenshots?

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2003, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by Simon:

If you internal disk is too slow for FW800 it will probably also be too slow for USB2, don't you think?

Hmm, but USB 2 at 480 mbs is maybe a little more reasonable than FW800 considering FW800 is way to fast for a the internal hard drive, and USB 2 is only a little too fast.

I think Panther will also add full support to IP over firewire.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2003, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by Metzen:

Mac OS X 10.2 already does this. I use it to wake my Mac 2 minutes before I have an alarm go off.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2003, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
Mac OS X 10.2 already does this. I use it to wake my Mac 2 minutes before I have an alarm go off.

How do you do that? Can you shut down your comp like in os9 and have it turn on automatically. IS that a program or built in to 0s 10.2.5

Forum Links
Forum Rules