Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Core 2 Duo iMac shipping dates

Core 2 Duo iMac shipping dates (Page 2)
SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by turnedge762
I'm working on the 24 incher right now, and it really is a beautiful computer. The screen just seems to envelope you, making you forget you're even sitting in front of a computer. It's may sound odd, but it's like it lessens the gap between computer user and computer.

The sound is pretty good. I haven't used any of the of the smaller iMacs, so I don't have anything to compare it to. But it's decent and can get pretty loud. (and w/o music on, the computer is very quiet)

Did the iMacs used to have the convenient little door underneath the chin to easily change the memory? If not, that's a great addition.

Other than that all I can say is man is she fast and incredibly gorgeous!
any gripes with it? should I bite the bullet?
i'm currently using a 1.6Ghz G4.
Owned a G4 iMac, sold it
owned a G4 MacMini Sold it.

Need a desktop to use JUST for music and Aperture...since it's a pain disconnecting my Powerbook from all the music hardware and such.

So it's fast you say...and a good machine...got any pictures of the baby?

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 11:53 PM

Using MoviePod how fast can you convert a 5 minute movie to iPod format?

jamie48
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2006, 05:23 AM

Hey new to the boards…

Ordered my 20" w/following spec

2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
128MB VRAM
1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512
250GB Serial ATA Drive
SuperDrive 8X (DVDR-DL/CD-RW)
NO MODEM
WL KYBD & MSE + MAC OS X-GBR
Country Kit-GBR

Ordered 7 Sept… but going through Apple Finance… just today got these dates…

Ship by Sep 25, 2006

Delivery by Oct 5, 2006

Are these dates likely to stick or come forward?! Anyone?

RoyW
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2006, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by jamie48
Hey new to the boards…

Ordered my 20" w/following spec

2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
128MB VRAM
1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512
250GB Serial ATA Drive
SuperDrive 8X (DVDR-DL/CD-RW)
NO MODEM
WL KYBD & MSE + MAC OS X-GBR
Country Kit-GBR

Ordered 7 Sept… but going through Apple Finance… just today got these dates…

Ship by Sep 25, 2006

Delivery by Oct 5, 2006

Are these dates likely to stick or come forward?! Anyone?
My initial BTO 24" iMac order was scheduled to ship by the 15th with a delivery date of before the 22nd. It was actually released for shipment late on the 11th with an expected delivery on the 15th. It is now in-route from Shanghai and has departed Indianapolis International earlier this morning.
RoyW

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2006, 08:31 AM

jamie48, like RoyW's, my machine wasn't supposed to ship (from China) until tomorrow, but it is already in Canada. As of this morning it has reached "Int'l shipment release" status (whatever that means) in Mississauga (which is right next to Toronto, where I live).

Sept. 12: Shanghai
Sept. 13: Anchorage
Sept. 14: Memphis
Sept. 14: Mississauga

I expect to get it tomorrow, after it clears customs today.

Originally Posted by SOLIDAge
any gripes with it? should I bite the bullet?
i'm currently using a 1.6Ghz G4.
Owned a G4 iMac, sold it
owned a G4 MacMini Sold it.

Need a desktop to use JUST for music and Aperture...since it's a pain disconnecting my Powerbook from all the music hardware and such.

So it's fast you say...and a good machine...got any pictures of the baby?
If you're getting the 24" make sure you get the 7600 GT.

Reports are that the 24" iMac with 7600 GT performs very well in Aperture, while the Mac Pro with 7300 GT doesn't perform so hot. One claims it's even worse than the iMac Core Duo with X1600.

P.S. What build of 10.4.7 is the new iMac using? My Cube is running 10.4.7 8J135.

jamie48
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2006, 08:43 AM

Thanks Eug/RoyW

I'm gonna document in pictures the opening and setting up of this bad boy!

Oddly enough one of the first things I'm gonna do on it is get wired into 'Sam & Max Hit the Road' using the SCUMMVM system! Seems a shame to spend all that money and play a game on it that a sh!tty old PC could run! hehe

RoyW
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2006, 11:59 AM

This morning I checked with FedEx tracking and it said my BTO 24" was on the truck for delivery followed by at the distribution center. As I was wondering why it went from the truck back to the distribution center my door bell rang and there it was. I don't have time to set it up because of other commitments but believe me when I get home its destined to replace my now oldest of three Macs, a six year old iMac DV Special Edition, 500Mhz processor, 30Gig HD, and 384MB of ram.
RoyW

HughUK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2006, 12:39 PM

Hi from the UK guys

I ordered on Sept 6th:

24", 2.16, 2GB, 250GB, NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256Mb

Original delivery date 27/9
Just received word it shipped today by TNT

>>Your order was shipped on 14.09.2006, and we expect your order to be delivered to your shipping address on or before 21.09.2006.<<

Still seems a long time to be shipped though.
Still our living room is currently stripped back to the brickwork, so it'll have to live in a box if it comes early!!
24" Intel imac | G4 imac 10.4.7 | G4 TiBook 10.4.7 | 2 x Bondi G3 imacs 9.2.1 | Apple emate | 4G ipod | ipod shuffle.

Niebieski
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2006, 05:48 PM

I order a 20" iMac fully loaded on August 27th, with an estimated shipping date of September 12th. After the announcement of the new iMac, I got upgraded and the shipping date slipped to the 14th (today!). Small price to pay for the upgrade and the fact that it'll cost less than what I had expected.

However, here we are, 5:50 PM on the 14th and the page still says "Estimated shipped by September 14th"... does anyone know of delays in BTO 20" iMacs?

GopherAlex
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2006, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Niebieski
I order a 20" iMac fully loaded on August 27th, with an estimated shipping date of September 12th. After the announcement of the new iMac, I got upgraded and the shipping date slipped to the 14th (today!). Small price to pay for the upgrade and the fact that it'll cost less than what I had expected.

However, here we are, 5:50 PM on the 14th and the page still says "Estimated shipped by September 14th"... does anyone know of delays in BTO 20" iMacs?
I ordered a 20" BTO Core2Duo on the release day (256MB VRAM) and it arrived today. Was originally scheduled to be shipped on the 15th.

acX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2006, 07:03 PM

I ordered a 17" iMac on September 7th. I upgraded to 2GB of ram and a 250GB HD. I was given a ship date of September 13, and a delivery date of the 20th.

Today ( 14th ), I got an e-mail stating that my order has been delayed and would be shipped on the 19th. I'm tempted to cancel it, order a stock 20" iMac and put my own RAM in. The stock 20" iMac is shipping within 24 hours.

ac

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 07:21 PM

Dew it!
Linkinus is king.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Sep 14, 2006, 10:10 PM

My 24" has been in Mississauga all day. That's about a 30 minute drive away. It has been stuck on "Int'l shipment release", whatever that means. I hope it went through customs today. I really, really, really hope I get it tomorrow as predicted, so I can futz around with it on the w/e.

Originally Posted by acX
I ordered a 17" iMac on September 7th. I upgraded to 2GB of ram and a 250GB HD. I was given a ship date of September 13, and a delivery date of the 20th.

Today ( 14th ), I got an e-mail stating that my order has been delayed and would be shipped on the 19th. I'm tempted to cancel it, order a stock 20" iMac and put my own RAM in. The stock 20" iMac is shipping within 24 hours.
Get the 20". It's WAAAAAYY nicer than the 17". To me, a 17" feels somewhat cramped.

20" is the sweet spot in terms of bang for the buck.

Then again, I'm a bit biased, because I already have a 20", and I'm upgrading to the 24".

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 10:23 PM

I had second thoughts about the iMac and thought about getting a tower so I canceled my order, and then promptly realized that a nice tower and display was way more money than I have or want to spend and reordered the iMac this time with the wireless keyboard and mouse and 2 GB of memory.
Since I was saving myself so much money over the tower I splurged and purchased a Logitech Z-5500 surround sound system and Griffin Firewave. I'll take some photos when they start to get here to replace my old 20" 2GHz G5 iMac.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Sep 14, 2006, 10:34 PM

I can't believe it. I got this big bad boy today. It shipped on the 13th from china. Estimated delivery was for the 15th but fedex pulled up today with it. This thing is AWESOME! No dark corners that I can see, no dead pixels that I can tell. I got the smaller processor, 1gb ram, wireless keyboard and mouse, higher graphics card and arpature. I'll stick 2gb in it next month. Now I just have to bring some things over from my powerbook and I'll be set. For those still waiting, ITS WORTH THE WAIT!
Randy

selowitch
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 11:01 PM

Shipping Snafu
Weird. I had ordered Standard Overnight for my new iMac 20" and was initially delighted when the Apple Store e-mailed to say it was shipping a day early (today, Thursday 9/14) — because naturally I was expecting to then get it tomorrow (9/15). Slight disappointment set in when I checked Fedex tracking and learned it's arriving Monday (9/18).

I called Apple and they apologized and said there'd been some foul-ups and refunded me the difference in price between overnight and 2-day shipping ($30.00). Oh, well. I guess I can make it through the weekend without my new machine, and I've got some money now to maybe put toward other stuff.

Slight Tangent
My old PowerMac G4 (AGP Graphics) 450MHz will move to another room to make way for the new beast. My wireless iBook G4 (Early 2006) will stick around, too. Now we have a computer for each member of the family. I love publishing my iCal.app calendar to each of the machines, even though it's one-way without dot-Mac. Good way to keep the family up to date with our son's sporting events, holidays, vacations, shopping lists, etc. Just as well, since I'm the only one willing to make the effort to update the calendar anyway. I just wish AddressBook.app had the same feature!
( Last edited by selowitch; Sep 14, 2006 at 11:08 PM. )

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2006, 04:54 AM

It is on its way.

Good ole Apple, they said it would ship on the 18th and shipped it days earlier.

Now for the hardest part, the wait.

BZ

selowitch
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by the_glassman
I had second thoughts about the iMac and thought about getting a tower so I canceled my order, and then promptly realized that a nice tower and display was way more money than I have or want to spend
Many people find themselves in that boat, since the Mac Pro is overkill even for many "professional" users and the iMac, while a wonderful machine, is very limited in terms of expandability. Essentially, there's a real gap in Apple's "prosumer" offerings right now, that middle ground between the lovely iMac/Mac mini (which are best suited for the education and home markets) and the unrelenting, power-mad Mac Pro towers.

Used to be that Apple Macintosh towers were within reach of mere mortals and small business owners, but now they're a bit too expensive for most needs.

Niebieski
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2006, 09:33 AM

Arrgghh.
-----------------------------
Dear Apple Customer
We appreciate your recent purchase from the Apple Store.

Due to an unexpected delay, we now anticipate shipping the following
item(s) as follows Z0DH, IMAC 20/2.16/SD CTO
will now ship on or before Sep 22, 2006
-----------------------------

Now that's almost a month long (ordered it on Aug 27). And the problem is I'll be out of the country for 2 weeks starting on the 23rd...

In your opinion, is it worth calling and putting pressure or trying to get free goodies? This is my first Apple purchase and I don't know what they usually do in these cases.

Thanks in advance

selowitch
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Niebieski
In your opinion, is it worth calling and putting pressure or trying to get free goodies?
It can't hurt. Just remember to be as nice as possible:
Originally Posted by You
I was really disappointed to hear that my ship date slipped. Is there anything you can do for me? Could you possibly provide me with a/an...? It would ease the pain considerably.
I admit it's slightly sickening to sit here and read that. But you will almost certainly get further with honey than you will with vinegar, as they say.

Good luck.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2006, 09:59 AM

When was it originally supposed to ship?

I'd ask first if they could expedite it any way. You should tell them why you need it more quickly. The answer will probably be no, but perhaps they'll offer you something on their own to ease your pain, without you having to ask.

P.S. How long will FedEx (or whoever is shipping it) keep the unit? Will it still be there after 2 weeks?

Niebieski
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2006, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Eug
When was it originally supposed to ship?
First September 12. Then, after the announcement of the new iMacs, I got upgraded and it slipped to the 14th. No big deal. Now it's the 22nd; 8 full days later.

Originally Posted by Eug
I'd ask first if they could expedite it any way. You should tell them why you need it more quickly. The answer will probably be no, but perhaps they'll offer you something on their own to ease your pain, without you having to ask.
Yeah, I'll take this piece of advice and be nice to them. As the French saying goes, an "iron handshake with a velvet glove"

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Cheers.

Niebieski
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2006, 11:17 AM

Latest news. I just called Apple and they sais that although the web site says the 22nd, it'll probably be shipped on the 20th (22nd being the worst-case scenario). I explained my situation and said it would be unfortunate that I won't be able to take advantage of the expedited delivery option I bought since I'll be out of the country starting on the 23rd, and
they kindly offered to refund the cost of expedited delivery, which is very thoughtful.

I'm totally new to Apple and I think I kind of like their way of doing business. Rarely do you see companies making it up to their customers like that. First they upgrade me and reduce the cost when the newer iMacs come out, and now they refund the expedited shipping. Kudos to them.

Again thanks to all for your advices and info.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2006, 01:47 PM

Parky
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 02:08 PM

Well Done Apple!!!

My 24" arrived today, 12 days earlier than originally stated on the order.
Was due on the 27th arrived on the 15th, looks stunning and HUGE!

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

acX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2006, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by brokenjago
Dew it!
It's done!
I switched my delayed Custom order 17" for a standard 20" system for only $49 more. For my trouble, Apple upgraded my shipping to overnight

It will be easy to upgrade from 1GB to 2GB in a few months.

ac

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Parky
Well Done Apple!!!

My 24" arrived today, 12 days earlier than originally stated on the order.
Was due on the 27th arrived on the 15th, looks stunning and HUGE!

Ian
Mine says it's due the 26th and still hasn't shipped.
However my Firewave is already here and my surround sound system shipped today!

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by selowitch
Many people find themselves in that boat, since the Mac Pro is overkill even for many "professional" users and the iMac, while a wonderful machine, is very limited in terms of expandability. Essentially, there's a real gap in Apple's "prosumer" offerings right now, that middle ground between the lovely iMac/Mac mini (which are best suited for the education and home markets) and the unrelenting, power-mad Mac Pro towers.

Used to be that Apple Macintosh towers were within reach of mere mortals and small business owners, but now they're a bit too expensive for most needs.
Yes, I'm one of the folks that wished apple had a affordable "mini" tower with most of the features of the Mac Pro but with half the ram slots, pci slots, half the size and half the price. Even an updated cube would fit the bill.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by the_glassman
Yes, I'm one of the folks that wished apple had a affordable "mini" tower with most of the features of the Mac Pro but with half the ram slots, pci slots, half the size and half the price. Even an updated cube would fit the bill.
After all, every PC maker does it. You can get a very expandable Dell for around $600.00 or a very not-expandable Mac Mini at roughly the same price point. Of course, in the former case, you do have to live without Mac OS X, which is definitely a hardship.

HughUK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2006, 04:21 AM

Oh no! 24" delayed......sob

15 Sep 2006 16:00 Pudong International Airport Potential Linehaul Delay Due To Technical Problems
24" Intel imac | G4 imac 10.4.7 | G4 TiBook 10.4.7 | 2 x Bondi G3 imacs 9.2.1 | Apple emate | 4G ipod | ipod shuffle.

iMacfan
Senior User
Sep 16, 2006, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by HughUK

15 Sep 2006 16:00 Pudong International Airport Potential Linehaul Delay Due To Technical Problems
Oh dear, hope that isn't the case for all UK-bound machines. Currently my 24" CTO, ordered on the 14th says shipping on the 21st, delivered by the 28th.

David
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

HughUK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2006, 09:05 AM

iMacfan...the apple site still says 21st for me, but that info is from the carrier (TNT)

fk51785
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2006, 11:47 AM

Mine has shipped just yesterday.
The estimated was the 19th,
and my ipod refurb 2gb was shipped yesterday as well.
Just Perfect !!

iMacfan
Senior User
Sep 16, 2006, 12:17 PM

iMacfan...the apple site still says 21st for me, but that info is from the carrier (TNT)
Ah... If it's TNT's fault that makes far more sense.

David

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2006, 12:37 PM

Mine shipped today and I should get it Monday!

WombatPredator
Sep 17, 2006, 01:59 AM

Yep, I'm getting the same thing. And that's to Belgium.

Jakob99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2006, 02:25 PM

I'm getting the exact same message and even the same date and time! I hate to wait my 24" ...

btw. linehaul is the tariff transportation charge to move shipment from point of origin to it's final destination.

HughUK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2006, 02:32 PM

Jakob99, Are in Europe as well?

Jakob99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2006, 04:40 PM

Jakob99, Are in Europe as well?
Yes, in Finland.

iMacfan
Senior User
Sep 18, 2006, 05:41 PM

Not sure if this helps at all, but my CTO 24"/2.33/2gig/7600/500gig is now not cancel-able. Order placed on Thursday evening (14th). Does this mean shipping is iminent, or could it still be a few days away?

David

Commodus
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by iMacfan
Not sure if this helps at all, but my CTO 24"/2.33/2gig/7600/500gig is now not cancel-able. Order placed on Thursday evening (14th). Does this mean shipping is iminent, or could it still be a few days away?

David
It's probably imminent - they let you cancel up until the order is ready to leave the factory, so it might have shipped already or is too far into the build process to turn back.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2006, 01:03 PM

Ordered my 17" 2gb/250gb today, should arrive on the 28th.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2006, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Commodus
It's probably imminent - they let you cancel up until the order is ready to leave the factory, so it might have shipped already or is too far into the build process to turn back.
I tried cancelling my 2.16 24" online a few days after I ordered, and it was too late. I just called Apple and they cancelled it for me... but that's probably because I wanted to upgrade to a 2.33 24" instead.

I agree though... It does sound like it's imminent. I'd expect it to ship within a day or three.

iMacfan
Senior User
Sep 19, 2006, 04:56 PM

Yes indeedy! It shipped a couple of hours ago.

David

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2006, 07:19 PM

Product Name: iMac, 24-inch, Intel Core 2 Duo
Options:
065-6792 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
065-6474 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
065-6801 NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB SDRAM
065-6447 500GB Serial ATA Drive
065-6439 SuperDrive 8X (DVD+R DL/DVD&plusmn;RW/CD-RW)
065-6200 None
065-6442 Apple Wireless Keyboard & wireless Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X (US English)
065-6432 Accessory kit
Unit Price: $2,642.00
Quantity: 1
Net Price: $2,642.00
Estimated time to ship: 2-4 business days

Part Number: S2302Z/A
Product Name: AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac - Auto-enroll
Unit Price: $149.00
Net Price: $149.00
Estimated time to ship: 1-2 business days

quiklee
Senior User
Sep 19, 2006, 07:37 PM

good lord that thing is huge!
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

iMacfan
Senior User
Sep 20, 2006, 05:59 AM

One question: Because I have other items in my order, everything says shipped via UPS (which hopefully will be an improvement on the inflexibility I have experienced with TNT in the past), apart from the iMac itself, which says "Merge in Transit". Does this mean that they'll keep everything until the iMac has arrived. If so, I don't understand how the non-iMac items themselves have been split into two different tracking numbers (both of which don't register on the UPS site)

David

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2006, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by SOLIDAge
Part Number: S2302Z/A
Product Name: AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac - Auto-enroll
Unit Price: $149.00
Net Price: $149.00
Estimated time to ship: 1-2 business days
How is this possible? Here in Belgium this costs 219 euros. That is $277.597 today. And no, it is not just tax (21% for Belgium). Anyone with an explanation?

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2006, 06:45 AM

My 24" iMac is set to land today.

Tomorrow morning I will bask in all of its goodness (and post pictures of course).

BZ

HughUK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2006, 07:06 AM

Mine has been stuck in Pudong for 5 days now due to "technical problems"

Forum Links
Forum Rules