Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Help I am a new Mac User

Help I am a new Mac User
polymorphicme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2007, 12:30 AM

Ok I was in a pinch I am a student and I needed a laptop quick. I bought a factory rebuilt iBook G3 366Mhz Clamshell Indigo with a Upgrade to 320MB and I know I am going to need the newest OS X system or software.....how doese this work ? I purchased a mac cd that has all of the OS and OS X updates will this work ?? I have a printer and an iPod tha I will need to hook up to this iBook so you can see my problem.......I need to latest version of OS X to use these devices ......heeeeellllp

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2007, 06:33 AM

If you have the Firewire version of that laptop, you should be able to install Tiger (OS 10.4) on it. Buy or borrow a Tiger disc, mount it or boot from it, and follow the instructions.

Walker
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2007, 06:43 AM

Why did you buy such an old computer if you need to run all the latest software? I don't think you'll be happy with the performance.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2007, 09:07 AM

no go.

For starters, the latest version of OS X comes on a DVD, and it's $130.

If you "purchased a mac cd that has all of the OS and OS X updates", you were either ripped off, paying for updates that are supplied for free through the built-in software update, or you pirated a fake, since even the last two full operating system versions (there is no pure "upgrade") won't fit on a single DVD together.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2007, 09:48 AM

You need to use more descriptive thread titles. Something like:

"How do I install Tiger on a clamshell iBook G3 266 MHz?"

So how do you do it:

• First your Mac needs a Firewire port. If it doesn't have one, Panther is the latest system you can install. Your iPod and printer should work with Panther fine as well.
• Then you need to purchase a legit copy of Tiger (how?)
• Since your Mac doesn't have a DVD drive, you have to have your Tiger DVDs replaced with install CDs. See the Media Exchange Program (PDF). Be quick, the program seems to expire at March 19th 2007.
• Alternatively you can put your iBook in target disk mode, connect it to another PowerPC Mac with DVD drive and install the system from there.
• And lastly you go online, run System Update and install all the system updates. You don't have to purchase any update CDs.

ps:
Performance will be poor on your machine. For Tiger you would want to have at least 3 times the clock speed and memory.
( Last edited by TETENAL; Mar 12, 2007 at 10:01 AM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2007, 09:48 AM

If you want an OS optimal for that computer, find a copy of OS X 10.3 (Panther).

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 12, 2007, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
If you want an OS optimal for that computer, find a copy of OS X 10.3 (Panther).
It will be a better fit for your computer and you find it for cheap online. Good advice.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules