Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > wifi (router + usb adapter) advice please!

wifi (router + usb adapter) advice please!
Madrag
Senior User
Oct 31, 2007, 10:32 AM

hello all,

I need for some advice/confirmation for my future wifi setup.

01. the current scenario:
I have a wired connection from my PM G5 to the modem.
If I need to connect another mac, I have to plug it into a router (all wired).

02. my goal:
I would like a wireless network (internet + files) (preferably all 802.11n) between my PM G5 and a PB G4 500, and in december I'll retire the PB and replace it with a MB/MBP (still to be decided).

03. my findings:
I have been searching and found (limited to the products available in my country and budget) these two items:
Router: D-Link DIR-635
USB adapter: Edimax nMax Wireless 802.11n USB (EW-7718Un)

(NOTE: I'm pretty much limited to that router, because I have a credit at a store and it will expire soon, and unfortunatelly that strore only has that n-router )

04. why an adapter:
because at first I plan to wire my PM G5 to the router, and use the USB adapter on the PB G4 500 to use the internet (the only "bad" thing is that it only has USB 1.1 and I'll be limited to 12Mbps...)

Then, in December, when I get a MacBook (Pro maybe), I'll replace the old PB and so the USB adapter will go onto the PM G5 (which doesn't have any wireless card) and this way I can move the modem + router to another place at my house and unclutter the computer room

05. advice/confirmation:
After searching a lot (including this forum, several pages and many many posts read ) I decided for this two items above.

Can someone tell me please if these work well with my macs, and if you would recommend an alternative setup (minding my objective please).

Madrag  (op)
Senior User
Nov 7, 2007, 02:30 PM

BUMP

I need to know at least if these two items work well with each other and my macs?

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 7, 2007, 07:26 PM

The router should be no problem, since even though it's a draft, "Draft-N" is pretty stable and fairly consistently implemented. The USB adapter is an issue-if it works at all, it's likely to work fine. The problem is whether or not you'll find the appropriate Mac drivers for it. Without drivers, it's a lump of plastic. With drivers, you may have your solution. Unfortunately the manufacturer's site only lists Windows drivers, so I'm not sure you'll be happy with it.

That does NOT mean you shouldn't buy the router!!! Go for it-Draft-N will still be there. But there ARE USB WiFi devices that WILL work. Like this one, for example. Search on something like "usb wifi mac" and see what you turn up.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Madrag  (op)
Senior User
Nov 8, 2007, 05:32 AM

thanks for the reply ghporter.

the USB adapter I found does have drivers for OS X: drivers

So this means it is compatible with the router and mac, correct?

BTW, thanks for your USB adapter suggestion, but that one is only G and not N...

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 8, 2007, 09:08 AM

The router-almost certainly. The Mac-if it has drivers for your OS version then absolutely.

As for my suggestion, I didn't pay as much attention as I should have when I decided to post that one.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Madrag  (op)
Senior User
Nov 8, 2007, 09:40 AM

your reply was help enough, the suggestion you gave was a bonus

thanks for your help, I've been searching a lot for info about that USB adapter and it does seem to work on the macs

I'll update this thread after buying both items, so others can have more feedback on these two items.

Madrag  (op)
Senior User
Dec 20, 2007, 03:51 PM

finally I have some time for an update on this subject:

I bought both items
Router: D-Link DIR-635
USB adapter: Edimax nMax Wireless 802.11n USB (EW-7718Un)

and I'm very pleased with its performance!
although I'm still wiring the G5 to the router and the powerbook only has USB 1.1, the speed is quite acceptable and most important: it works well on my macs!
(also, the driver for the USB adapter has been updated to support Leopard, which is a good news for when I upgrade

BTW, if anyone is trying to find the driver for the USB adapter, check this link: Ralink Technology: Macintosh

finally, thank you ghporter, for your helpfull replies!

Forum Links
Forum Rules