Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > How do I make a simple device to play sounds?

How do I make a simple device to play sounds?
Walker
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2010, 01:01 AM

I'll try to keep this simple. I'd like some type of device that I can program to play custom sound clips. The kind of thing where you press a button or key and it plays a sound clip The best setup would be a small electronic piano keyboard hooked up to a speaker for extra loudness. I realize I could use a laptop computer but I don't want to spend that much money and I'd rather this device have the single function of playing sound clips.

Anyone have an idea how I could do this?

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2010, 01:10 AM

If you have an iPhone you could use it for this setup.

Walker  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2010, 01:18 AM

That's a good idea, but I want it to be a dedicated device that will stay in it's spot permanently. Don't want to sacrifice an expensive iPhone for this.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2010, 01:23 AM

An iPod shuffle would be cheap and effective for the same setup too. (assuming you want to play only a few repeating clips)

Walker  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2010, 01:28 AM

Need to be able to select from around 6 different specific sound clips. Imagine something like being able to press a specific key/button and get the sound of thunder each time you press that key/button.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2010, 01:34 AM

So an iPod is not going to work unless it has a touch screen (iPod Touch), depends how fast you need to react. If its not super critical you could use an iPod Nano (scroll to select each sound to play)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2010, 04:28 AM

You're looking for what's called a "sampler" or "Sample player".

If you don't want to use one of the numerous sample players for iPhone/iPod touch, then I suggest a visit to the nearest musicians' store.

You can either use a keyboard to play a sampler via MIDI, or a keyboard with built-in sampling.

Forum Links
Forum Rules