Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New Camcorder: MiniDV-to-FireWire Cable

New Camcorder: MiniDV-to-FireWire Cable
selowitch
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2006, 05:50 PM

My new camcorder has a MiniDV-to-USB cable, but not a MiniDV-to-FireWire cable. Is it worth the cost to pick up the latter?

spice003
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2006, 06:38 PM

all mini dv camcorders have firewire out, there is no such thing as mini dvd to usb, it might have usb for transfering pictures, and fire wire to transfer video. look in the manual it should tell you where its at. unless you have one of those mini camcorders that use memory cards the i don't know what to tell you.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2006, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by spice003 View Post
all mini dv camcorders have firewire out, there is no such thing as mini dvd to usb, it might have usb for transfering pictures, and fire wire to transfer video. look in the manual it should tell you where its at. unless you have one of those mini camcorders that use memory cards the i don't know what to tell you.
Ah, yes. I see you're right. The USB cable that's included must be for transferring pictures (it does have a SD card slot, too). I guess I have to buy a miniDV-to-FireWire cable if I want to transfer video. Is that right? It's an inexpensive JVC camcorder, and the parts list at the beginning of the manual doesn't mention a DV or FireWire cable.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2006, 08:15 PM

What's a "miniDV" port? The port you're refering to is probably just 4 pin IEEE1394.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2006, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
What's a "miniDV" port? The port you're refering to is probably just 4 pin IEEE1394.
Sorry for the imprecision. It's labeled "DV" and I think it's exactly that: 4-pin IEEE1394.

spice003
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2006, 10:21 PM

you will need a 4pin to 6pin firewire cable. thats what camcorders take.
Newegg.com - SABRENT Firewire IEEE 1394 6pin to 4pin 4 FT Cable - Retail

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2006, 10:30 PM

Yeah, I've seen those before. Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules