Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Microsoft now offering $200 store gift card for iPad trade-ins

Microsoft now offering $200 store gift card for iPad trade-ins
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 12, 2013, 10:38 PM

In addition to slashing the price by $150 -- making the entry-level model available for as little as $350 -- Microsoft is again attempting to persuade buyers to convert to its troubled Surface RT tablet in a new promotion, this time offering iPad users a $200 Microsoft Store gift card to trade-in their Apple tablets. The card can be used for any MS Store product, including the far-more-popular Xbox One, and the promotion ends on October 27 -- shortly after the company plans to release an upgraded version of the RT.

The offer gives traders a flat $200 for qualifying "gently used" iPad 2, third- or fourth-generation iPads. If applied to a base-model Surface RT, it would drop the price after trade-in to as little as $150. The company has also been trying to dump the tablets to schools in an unrelated promotion.

The offer comes as Microsoft continues a TV ad campaign that pokes fun at the iPad for the lack of a kickstand, and for not having USB ports. The entire Surface line, however, including the Windows 8-running Surface Pro, has failed to catch on with the public. Microsoft recently had to swallow a $900 million write-off on the products, and analysts are expecting more losses on it in the next quarterly report.

Microsoft is even being sued by investors over the Surface RT debacle, with accusations that executives made "materially false and misleading statements" about its success and lack thereof. The company has lost some $34 billion in market valuation over the fiasco. It plans to address some of the criticisms of its Surface tablets with an upcoming new version, expected to be revealed later this month or early next month -- sometime near the rumored announcement date of the next iPad models.

The next Surface is said to sport a 1080p (1920x1080) display, a redesigned kickstand, longer battery life and a Tegra 4 processor among other changes. Significantly, rumors say the company plans to remove the term "RT" from the next Surface, even though the consumer model will continue to use Windows RT for its operating system.

apostle
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2013, 10:55 PM

How the mighty have fallen...

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2013, 11:40 PM

Why? Even the stolen one wouldn't even bother.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2013, 01:36 AM

If they sell the trade-in iPads on eBay, MSFT might finally make a profit on a Surface.

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2013, 02:10 AM

I am sure there are people outside of the store stocked with Uncle Ben's and ready to dole out two of them for each iPad.

eldarkus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2013, 09:17 AM

This makes zero sense! If you're going to offer a trade in, you need to do it for MORE than the item is worth. From what i can see, Apple is selling the 2nd generation iPad 2 for $319 refurbished.. I didn't see a single one on ebay going for less than $200 (except one with a cracked screen, which was at $183)

this is a failure from the start

climacs
Senior User
Sep 13, 2013, 09:24 AM

yeah but if I trade in my iPad, then all I have to show for it is a Surface RT... that's not some sort of upgrade, that's going backwards.

jdonahoe
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2013, 11:21 AM

The ad says minimum $200 gift card. Maybe you can negotiate for an even swap on an iPad 2.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2013, 12:59 PM

Yeah. Uh huh. $200 gift card's fine print: Applicable only to Surface RT/Pro.

davidlfoster
Sep 13, 2013, 02:14 PM

LOL. Nothing else I can say. Oh, yes. Pathetic.

Forum Links
Forum Rules