Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > When I close the lid

When I close the lid
cornelius077
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2005, 09:07 PM

Whenever I close the lid of my Powerbook it signs me off AIM and gets rid of my websites. Is there any way to disable that so that I can remain online while my Mac has its screen shut?

jyunderwood
Aug 20, 2005, 10:58 PM

the reason why you are signed off of aim is because your powerbook goes to sleep when the lid is closed. though open windows shouldn't disappear because your computer went to sleep.

cornelius077  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2005, 11:59 PM

There is no way of telling your computer to not go to sleep when you shut the lid??? That seems rather odd.

senseigmg
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2005, 12:58 AM

If you are connected to an external monitor, it won't go to sleep. Otherwise there is a program that stops the pb from sleeping, though it isn't recommended to use ( you might forget that its still on, and toss it in your bag where it will overheat).
Blackbook 2.4ghz/250gb/2gb

SpaceRockness
Aug 21, 2005, 01:07 AM

If you want the PowerBook to stay on with the lid closed, connect a keyboard+mouse(or BT mouse) and just click or type and it'll wake up... no need to plug in an external monitor. With BT mice, just moving it will wake up the PB since it begins to send out a BT signal and the PB responds via waking up. When you do this, you'll need to disable the screensaver password protection because after a certain amount of time without a password it'll go back to sleep.

Also if you pair a bluetooth enabled phone or PDA(I own an Axim X50) it can be used to wake up a BT based Mac... and to be a clicker device while doing a presentation

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 21, 2005, 01:08 AM

First of all. AIM is Lame.
Second.

You gotta give more info.

Your aps just shouldn't quit when the computer sleeps....

BrettOZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2005, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceRockness
If you want the PowerBook to stay on with the lid closed, connect a keyboard+mouse(or BT mouse) and just click or type and it'll wake up... no need to plug in an external monitor. With BT mice, just moving it will wake up the PB since it begins to send out a BT signal and the PB responds via waking up. When you do this, you'll need to disable the screensaver password protection because after a certain amount of time without a password it'll go back to sleep.
Is this the same for a Bluetooth Keyboard attached to my Powerbook? Eg. External display attached, usb mouse and bluetooth keyboard. The bluetooth keyboard still keeps its connection when the lid is closed doesn't it?

senseigmg
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2005, 10:37 PM

yeah

Kanji86
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2005, 12:10 AM

so if i buy a 20inch apple cinema display, all i have to do is say get the bluetooth apple keyboard and just wake it by hitting a key or moving the mouse?

i ideally want to buy a 20 inch cinema and a bluetooth keyboard. keep my powerbook's lid closed and in the drawer in my desk...so is that possible without a program/hack?

and finally, i like to keep my computer on no-moniter turn off when im awake and in my room, but after that when i go to bed i like to turn the display to sleep after a minute...is this possible without unhook the moniter etc?

thanks for your help, i tried looking through the forums but this is alot quicker!

thanks for eveyrhting, yhou guys are awesome.

senseigmg
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2005, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Kanji86
so if i buy a 20inch apple cinema display, all i have to do is say get the bluetooth apple keyboard and just wake it by hitting a key or moving the mouse?

i ideally want to buy a 20 inch cinema and a bluetooth keyboard. keep my powerbook's lid closed and in the drawer in my desk...so is that possible without a program/hack?

and finally, i like to keep my computer on no-moniter turn off when im awake and in my room, but after that when i go to bed i like to turn the display to sleep after a minute...is this possible without unhook the moniter etc?

thanks for your help, i tried looking through the forums but this is alot quicker!

thanks for eveyrhting, yhou guys are awesome.
All you have to do is wake the comp w/ the keyboard or mouse. I'm using an external with the bluetooth keyboard and a mouse.

There is an applescript that puts the display to sleep after a minute. I think i found it on macosxhints.com If you can't find it, let me know and i'll email it to you.

probably don't want to keep it in a drawer due to the heat.

Kanji86
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2005, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by senseigmg
All you have to do is wake the comp w/ the keyboard or mouse. I'm using an external with the bluetooth keyboard and a mouse.

There is an applescript that puts the display to sleep after a minute. I think i found it on macosxhints.com If you can't find it, let me know and i'll email it to you.

probably don't want to keep it in a drawer due to the heat.
oh, okay. naw im good on the display sleep thing...i just slide the...slider...over from never to 1 minute on the power options

alright, ill keep it out i guess.. would it be bad to put the display on top of the pb? im guessing so.

senseigmg
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2005, 12:31 AM

yes it would be bad. Also the script does the slider thing automatically, then when the display is asleep, it moves it back to whatever you had it set to.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...=display+sleep

Forum Links
Forum Rules